Why???

cjfarm111

Reaction score
I use mine for mainly towing and a little daily driving. I was running dp when the engine hatched. Had 180/100's at the time with 96000 original miles on it

CurtisF

Reaction score
Well I'd say it's tuning.
Your pistons perty much prove it. They have some nice cracks on the top. The star pattern in the bowl is actually half in and half out of the bowl. That is advanced inj timing. Even if your bottom end didn't crack those pistons would of let go sooner then later. Those cracks coming from the bowl will just grow to the outside till they hit the ring land .

The spray pattern should be in the bowl not up.on the lip like yours. That's from the piston still coming up the bore while the fuel is being sprayed early.
That one piston has 4 cracks that I can see and 1 of them is almost half way across to the edge. .
Pics don't lie, you asked why, this is why.
It did last a good while tho!
The cracks in the pistons and the crack in the block aren't related.

It wasn't the tuning that caused the crack in the block.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
You don't think pre-ignition puts extra strain on the crank?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I don't want to say it's 100% the cause here, but combine that along with this being on the last main (whom takes the brunt force)....

psduser1

Reaction score
Assuming those 100% nozzles have been in for a significant amount miles, I'd have to say early injection timing should have fairly minimal effect on the block via "extra " strain. Unless, of course, that military surplus I'd always running late, lol.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Assuming those 100% nozzles have been in for a significant amount miles, I'd have to say early injection timing should have fairly minimal effect on the block via "extra " strain. Unless, of course, that military surplus I'd always running late, lol.

100,000 miles.

CurtisF

Reaction score
You don't think pre-ignition puts extra strain on the crank?

Depends on the amount of fuel.

If that were the case, there would be way worse piston damage to show for after 100k miles.

I'm of the impression that it was bad casting. Maybe it would have gone longer at lower power levels, but the tuning isn't at fault here. Joe sure knows how to pick out a gem of a motor though!!! :popcorn::popcorn:

Swaan

Reaction score
The cracks in the pistons and the crack in the block aren't related.

It wasn't the tuning that caused the crack in the block.

Well I guess we will never know for sure , but I'm sticking to my opinion. Personally I think that engine has had a hard life with aggressive tuning that ultimately met it's own demise.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
My block did the same thing. Split in a casting seam and was dumping coolant into the oil. Also had a main bolt fall out at the same location. My Pistons showed no signs of cracking though. This happened at 240,000 miles.

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Well I guess we will never know for sure , but I'm sticking to my opinion. Personally I think that engine has had a hard life with aggressive tuning that ultimately met it's own demise.

Want to see ****ty tuning...

Here is ****ty tuning.

You open up any motor, even stock, some of the spray is outside of the bowl.

Attachments

• Picture 2098.jpg
    Picture 2098.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 218
  • Picture 2099.jpg
    Picture 2099.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 202

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Motor in my truck came from Black Water Engines. Didn't know much about them but got an assembled long block with studs, stock forged rods, upgraded valves, and springs for around 4500 shipped. 3 year 75k mile warranty. I've got 45k decently hard miles on it and haven't had an issue yet. Hope you can figure something out.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Cyclical stress caused fatigue until the an imperfection allowed a crack to form and repeated use opened it up. To minimize this type of failure it means you need to reinforce the block from flexing as much.... ie girdle, bedplate, filler, etc...

You have to remember you have been running this thing at double the rated power for 100K miles. This happens. You crank up the power, you shorten the life. Is a 100K mile failure rate acceptable? If not - turn down the wick or decrease block stress as listed above. If its acceptable - toss in another motor and rock on.

NyCowboy87

Reaction score
Y'all crack me up with jumping to conclusions of shi! tuning just because there is some spray outside the bowl. I've seen a bunch of stock engines that I've torn down at work ( Komatsu dealer) that have spray outside the bowl. You wanna call cummins, Perkins, deutz etc. and tell them they have bad tuning? Here is a perfect example. 3 cyl deutz from a water pump. Timing belt failed as usual, bent push rods and valves.
8e63320c13e3f0367c0d9aa7c79f6435.jpg
ff62babe9833ee49bd74b4bb8c8a3988.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Outlaw7317

Reaction score
What are your plans now Joe? Seems like this truck has been around forever. I remember seeing it over on the .org

Gonna throw a new block in it and let her eat, or whats your plans?

Reaction score
I'm not choosing sides here but adding timing can increase torque numbers, agreed? With emissions on Ag equipment and my experience with underground diesel equipment, power (fuel and air) can be down-sized for emissions compliance compared to a non compliant engine. If your already less than say 75 hp and you pull fuel out to meet emissions you can lose quite a bit of your torque as well, so remedy is to add timing. I can see it in off road engines, but something that you have free control of timing events and they're placed in an aggressive advanced setting.... I don't like the idea of that at all. I'm kind of surprised that one of these aftermarket tuners have not designed a strain-gauge type monitor system that threads into the glow plug holes to allow them to watch cylinder pressure changes with tuning.

sootie

Reaction score
I'm not choosing sides here but adding timing can increase torque numbers, agreed? With emissions on Ag equipment and my experience with underground diesel equipment, power (fuel and air) can be down-sized for emissions compliance compared to a non compliant engine. If your already less than say 75 hp and you pull fuel out to meet emissions you can lose quite a bit of your torque as well, so remedy is to add timing. I can see it in off road engines, but something that you have free control of timing events and they're placed in an aggressive advanced setting.... I don't like the idea of that at all. I'm kind of surprised that one of these aftermarket tuners have not designed a strain-gauge type monitor system that threads into the glow plug holes to allow them to watch cylinder pressure changes with tuning.

swamps does...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.