Wicked Wheel 2

Redpower

Reaction score
I plan on having my 97 F350 tore down in the next few weeks to fix up pipe leaks and exhaust manifold leaks. While I have the turbo out I thought about upgrading to a WW2. This truck is mostly used to pull and has a 6 pos chip, straight pipe, and gauges and it otherwise stock.
Think it is worth it? Any input would be great.

mind if I smoke

Reaction score
I put a WW in my powermax and it made a big difference. Not a huge difference on the top end but the turbo spools so much faster. Obviously I don't know how well it works in a 7.3 but in the 6.0 it was worth the money.

96stacked&smoken

Reaction score
Mine has the same setup and made a noticeable difference. Wasn't a huge difference though. If your wheel is fine i probably wouldnt, mine was damaged.

blaze42069

Reaction score
I just got a bunch of goodies for christmas, and a ww2 for my d66 was one of em. And I honestly thought it was the wrong wheel at first. I tell ya its way taller, like a 1/4" or so. But I busted out some calipers and everything seemed fine so I threw it in and everything bolted right up no issues at all. I won't get to try it till spring but I can't wait. I can see, even with no training or experience in turbos that this wheel is gonna be way better and move a ton of air.
Here's a pic of the ww2 on the left, my 3yr old D66 cast wheel center, and the stock wheel off a 97 stock turbo on the right. You can see what I'm talking about.

Attachments

• IMG-20140106-00200.jpg
    IMG-20140106-00200.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG-20140106-00199.jpg
    IMG-20140106-00199.jpg
    462.7 KB · Views: 80

Redpower

Reaction score
That side profile really shows a big difference over the stock wheel. I am still on the fence. Last night I started to tear mine down. When I took a quick glance at my stock wheel, it looked good yet. (It should at 113K) I would forget about it, but I think this truck seems to lack low end power while pulling hard. Maybe I will see the gains I want with just fixing the up pipes and a new down pipe.

Reaction score
My before and after measurement is less than perfect because i did more than one thing. I am however impressed so far. I did one small tow trip and noticed low end boost comes on sooner and that it runs a few pounds of boost cruising where it didn't before.
Took a 1 tank trip to sis in laws over the holidays to test it out and netted the best mileage in recent times 17.5 NOT driving for mileage, blew by a few newer trucks and enjoyed the new throttle resonse some. Not a very scientific test but still impressed. Really helped drivability with 3.54 and 35" tires. It used to be easy to get under the turbo on small hills and then realize egt was headed for 1200, now you have boost in the same situation and egt is 800.
Think about it.....how much has turbo technology moved foreword since 1994 when this turbo was designed?

GreenF350

Reaction score
One of my good friends replaced one with no other mods other than freshening up the turbo. He never really mentioned much about throttle response, but it did increase his boost #'s by a noticeable amount. Gained about 4-6 psi on his and he has recommended it to a few other guys around here that have stock turbos.
-Aaron

blaze42069

Reaction score
Like I stated previously, I'm no expert with turbocharging designs. But honestly how can this wheel not perform better? It has the high /low blade profiles like the old WW but is way lighter(I should have weighed them, oops) It's also alot higher with more wheel to move more air. I was on the fence til I read a proven dyno run with only a wheel change and no other mods done by a highly reputable tuner PHP, where I believe he got 10+ lbs over the stock wheel on a couple dyno runs. I believe they are also sponsors here or PSN with a write up on this said dyno run.

Latest posts

Members online