Will more than 10psi really kill my 7.3 IDI?

MAC

Reaction score
Its not hard to do studs, and they will hold your motor together a little longer.

IMO though (being a former IDI owner/lover)... Just drive the thing. You can spend A LOT of money on an IDI and your net gain will never be that great. I loved my IDI, It was slow and smokey, but it was just as slow and got the same mileage whether it was empty or loaded down with the trailer and a backhoe. Mine was a 6.9 N/A with injectors, a tweaked pump, and a little bit of timing.

I agree, just drive the thing, if you want a little extra power then add a turbo, but don't expect it to out pull a Cummins or a Powerstroke, just ain't gonna happen.

Brads93 idi

Reaction score
Plus the time,money, and the long nights I'm putting in to the truck if the motor goes then it will be the next 12 valve fummins Lol

82f100swb

Reaction score

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
And so begins the mustang vs dynojet debate.......... not saying I don't believe it, Its just so hard to make heads or tails of anything because there is no real standard out there when it comes to dynos

rsr911

Reaction score
FWIW BTW I noticed he has wrapped x-pipe and up pipe. I mentioned this over at TDS about a year ago and practically got flamed off the board. I'm new to diesel mods but I've been around and built plenty of gassers including a 650hp NA 351W based 410" stroker. I know that increasing the heat to the drive side of the turbo spools it faster and make more boost but they all insisted "heat kills turbos". At this point I'd like to do a build up like that. I have the fabrication skills and equipment to make nearly any part I want but not the knowledge to know what will work. I'm also very inexperienced about turbo specs. Let's assume for a minute that I have a spare IDI (I do) and time to mess around. If I came up with a slick set of intake and exhaust manifolds, intake hat, x-pipe, up-pipe, etc. can anyone help me with turbo selection or at least tell me where to go read up on it? If I could lay down even 300rwhp and 500rwtq I'd be plenty happy, drive it on W85 blended fuel and see how long it lasts. I mean I'm not made of money by any means but IDI engines aren't all that costly these days.

BWCbuilt

Reaction score
personally, I think a procharger would be a better compliment to the torque curve of the IDI..... I plan on testing this theory one of these days once I find a test subject

Dieselboy

Reaction score
I did 205/420 rwhp/tq 3 years ago.

Stock 94 with intake, 3"dp to 5", maxed pump 12° base timing, zf5, 4:10 gears and 37"s.

I now have a intercooler and a different turbo. Im going to change my injection pump and injectors soon and I hope to re dyno it in the bronco.

I guess my account has been deactivated on oilburners

Last edited:

rsr911

Reaction score
arp pt no. 150-4069 they are hex head. that part number is for a 6.9. should be the same for the 7.3 idi

The 6.9 uses 3/8 or 7/16" bolts IIRC while the 7.3 idi uses 1/2" bolts so they would not interchange. I don't recall the exact size of the 6.9 bolts but I do know they are smaller.

MAC

Reaction score
Is the b code the same as what u told me with the bb ?

BB code injectors have a better spray pattern and atomize the fuel better than B code injectors, that doesn't mean the B code injectors won't work, it just means with the BB code injectors your engine will burn the fuel better and won't make any hot spots on the pistons.

also if your IP and injectors are stock I would replace the IP and injectors at the same time, putting in new injectors with a worn out IP won't help your engine at all.

Check around you can get good deals on new IP's

glamis

Reaction score
i guess they have real hot pumps now days,ok
but even if toy guys get a turbo to make 20 psi and add in an intercooler
or whatever.
how are you going to overcome the 18 to 1 compression ratio
i mean how much cylinder pressure you guys wanna make ??
10to1 plus 20 psi plus a ton of fuel
no wonder the wrist pins go away.

just my .02

glamis

Reaction score
i guess they have real hot pumps now days,ok
but even if you guys get a turbo to make 20 psi and add in an intercooler
or whatever.
how are you going to overcome the 18 to 1 compression ratio
i mean how much cylinder pressure you guys wanna make ??
18 to 1 plus,20 psi boost plus, a ton of fuel,
no wonder the wrist pins go away.

just my .02

david

um oops..ok...wtf ?

Latest posts

Members online