Winter front reccomendations

cfdeng7

Reaction score
Looking to get get a winter front for my 05. Any brands you guys reccomend? Do they all attach with snaps glued to the grill? Was thinking about finding a cheap xl grill to glue the snaps to if that's the case. That's how the previous owner of my 2000 did it.

otis_301

Reaction score
the glue on snaps do not last very long. I used them until they started falling off. then went to the hardware store and they have snaps with screws. The glue on snaps were good for making sure you have them in the right place before drilling holes in your grill. Have not had any problems since I used the screw-in snaps.

cfdeng7

Reaction score
the glue on snaps do not last very long. I used them until they started falling off. then went to the hardware store and they have snaps with screws. The glue on snaps were good for making sure you have them in the right place before drilling holes in your grill. Have not had any problems since I used the screw-in snaps.

That's kinda what I figured. I guess my only real option is to get an xl grill and put screw in snaps. I wish someone made one that had straps or something that went through the grill to secure it instead of these snaps. Seems like the duramax guess have better options than us. Keep finding more options for duramax fronts and I see a ton of dmaxs with nice looking winter fronts. My 7.3 had a seperate grill with screw in snaps for the winter. Never really ran it much because the snowplow was on the front of it most of the time.

CamTom12

Reaction score
I was thinking about cutting plexi to fit in the holes in my grill and securing them with a 'through-bolt' kind of rigging. Ended up just going to the local tent and tarp store and they made one to go under my grill. Snaps on top of my rad support and goes down to the bottom of the rad. Uses bungi cords to secure the bottoms to the forward part of my inner wheel well. Zippered from 3/4 up to the top to allow some cold air in the in-betweenie temps.

otis_301

Reaction score
I was thinking about cutting plexi to fit in the holes in my grill and securing them with a 'through-bolt' kind of rigging. Ended up just going to the local tent and tarp store and they made one to go under my grill. Snaps on top of my rad support and goes down to the bottom of the rad. Uses bungi cords to secure the bottoms to the forward part of my inner wheel well. Zippered from 3/4 up to the top to allow some cold air in the in-betweenie temps.

My brother did this with his 01 dodge, he used bolts, fender washers and wingnuts. It works great. May be difficult for access on fords because grille does not come up with hood?

Mdub707

Reaction score
We have done quite a bit of temperature monitoring on the vegistroke forums. Most have found that a flattened out 30 pack box stuffed up between the radiator and the intercooler actually does more good than one of those front covers, FWIW. This solution is a lot cheaper, comes with beer, and your front end doesn't have to look weird with a cover on it.

Pizza pig

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
We have done quite a bit of temperature monitoring on the vegistroke forums. Most have found that a flattened out 30 pack box stuffed up between the radiator and the intercooler actually does more good than one of those front covers, FWIW. This solution is a lot cheaper, comes with beer, and your front end doesn't have to look weird with a cover on it.

:pint:

CamTom12

Reaction score
My brother did this with his 01 dodge, he used bolts, fender washers and wingnuts. It works great. May be difficult for access on fords because grille does not come up with hood?

Yeah, you're probably right. Mine is easy access because it comes up with the hood. I can't remember how tight it was between the grille and intercooler on my old '00 though.

Cardboard between the two would work well, you just need a way to stop/reduce airflow through the heat exchangers to make them less efficient in stupid cold temperatures.

HaysKSFirefighter

Reaction score
I have one from Alaska Tend and Tarp with screw in snaps..I've had it for two years now and really like it. It's very thick and sturdy.

fe647e65.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chappy

Reaction score
I am really surprised how quick this 6.0 warms up compared to the 99 did. On the 99 I just pulled the grill off and stuck a piece of cardboard in there and put the grill back on. The grill held it in place

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.