Winter tires

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I am thinking about putting some decent tires on my stock wheels to run for winter. Since I put the 12 wides on the truck Im not sure I can deal with all the crap they would fling when the roads are crappy all winter.

I was just wondering what everyone likes for the snow and wet months of the year. I will probably run a 37x12.50R20. I think they will clear the ALA's with out rubbing on the stock wheels.

java

Reaction score
LOL it doesn't snow here but I've had good luck with Mickey Thompson Mtz

B.Warning

Reaction score
I loved the 36x15.50 mtz' so had. I live on a pretty good size blacktop hill, brother slid off the hill pulling the gooseneck with skidder loaded one winter with a heavy wet snow. I hooked to him and drug everything up the up the hill so fast that he couldn't get the trans out of second gear and rpms were pegged. That old kr was nearly unstoppable in snow.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Ive ran MTZ's before on my 150, and they were about the same in the snow as my ATZ's I have now. I like both tires but just not much for the snow.

taterthedog

Reaction score
I run Duratracs too. Mine are studded and they are 325/65r18 on stock rims. I find them fantastic in the snow and ice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
in the snow and slushy snow, i have found the the kelly safari tsl's will run circles around duratracs. duratracs are a good all around tire but those tsl's are bad ass in the snow..

live life full throttle

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Toyo ATII Xtreme here as well, never stranded but not the "best" winter tire by any means. If your doing it as a second set, get true winters, if you need an E/10ply, Toyo WLT1 or Michelin LTX Winter. Something like a 275/65R20 in a Toyo WLT1 is 34.3in tall so a nice 35in height which is about as tall as you will get in a true winter I think. Toyo C/T is also a little more aggressive but still supposed to be good in the winter, only up to 35in again though.

FYI if your new to winters; 12in wide in winter isn't what you want for traction, you go over the snow/slush in that event. Snow tires want to be narrow and open tread blocks usually to cut the snow/slush and grip on the road or ice or hard pack snow. Open tread blocks at the shoulder help ensure the excess snow/slush is pushed away and only the amount needed for grip is kept in the tread with proper siping.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
i wouldn't take the michelin ltx off slushy pavement. had them on my dually when i first got her.. quickly swapped them out after our first snow..

those toyo ct's are similar to the mastercraft ct's and u have a buddy that swears by them!

live life full throttle

WHY NOT

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking toyo at2 but like mentioned can only get them in a 35. I'm not new to winters but I normally just run my wheels all year round. And the 12 wides just throw so much **** the truck will never be clean so I was going to stick the stock wheel with a little taller tire.

How do studded tires work when the pavement is dry? I will be towing on these tires as well threw the winter.

Sent from my I fone 5

AllGo'N'Show

Reaction score
Studded on pavement aren't too much fun I find, if you don't always have ice to deal with, I wouldn't really recommend them. Nokian has cool technology when the tires get warm the studs suck in a little, making them quite a bit better, but nothing in any sort of hauling capacities (at least last time I checked)

ToMang07

Reaction score
If you'll go down to 35's.....Duratracs all day. I LOVE mine, on/off road, all weather, towing/plowing, by far the best tire I have ever used. :rockon: