Won’t rev over 2k

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Could the intake manifold be plugged up (from when the EGR system was active)?
Done any tests on the VGT solenoid?

No, we put a new Odawg intake on it when it went together. Vgt solenoid is working properly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Well, finally got back around to this truck. I was leaning hard on a spun cam gear, pulled the motor, we had put a welded one in. Verified timing was right. Nothing in the bottom end goofy. Pulled the heads, found a bunch of soot in the passenger side of the intake, and all the intake ports on the passenger head were dirty from spot. Once I got the head off, found 3 bent exhaust valves, held open about 1/16 of an inch. All the pistons got valve marks on them. These were somewhat unknown heads we put in it, so I’m guessing the valve springs were very weak. Probably going to be putting a new set of kdd heads on it. Or maybe a used set off our race truck, gotta see what he wants to do.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok, we’ll got a different set of heads put on, they’re a used set off our race truck, but have had a fresh valve job done on both heads, valve springs are now 120#, known springs. Truck still runs like dog ****. Still leaving a pile of soot on the ground, and won’t rev over 1200. Had misfires on 1&5, verified pushrods were seated right, and swapped injectors with a couple new ones, still runs like dog ****. On a wild ass guess, I checked converter slip, computer was indicating it was locked. At idle actual slip was 15-55 rpm. I know it shouldn’t be an issue in park/neutral, but I’m throwing logic out the window at this point. Pulled the trans, still runs like ****.

Anyone got any more ideas? I think on Monday I’m gonna try swapping the FICM again, as I swapped it before with ****ed exhaust valves, so kinda throws that diagnosis out, but other than that, I’m stumped…

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Can you infared gun the manifolds?

Can you isolate the issues to 1 bank or both banks.

A ficm splits the engine in half.
1,4,6,7 vs 2,3,5,8

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Don’t have infared gun. It seems to be 1 bank, as 1&5 were the misfires. When it first started 1,5,&7 were down, 7 eventually cleaned up. It almost seems like it’s not injecting at the right time. Tried different tune as well. Runs a lot like the egr is hung open. The cooler is plugged, so if it was hung open it wouldn’t be an issue. I’m wondering almost if we got a bad valve job on one of the heads… When I pulled it apart the passenger side of the intake was full of carbon, drivers side was clean

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
This truck alone would warrant an infared shop tool purchase.

This truck runs exactly like 1 I did 10 years ago and I had combustion coming up through the glow plug sleeves.

Measure compression manually each cylinder

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Just pics of my gun on a clogged then fixed heater core flow

Attachments

• 20211216_154438.jpg
    20211216_154438.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 71
  • 20211216_110107.jpg
    20211216_110107.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 71

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Yeah I guess I should probably get one. Ok, I’ll run a full manual test on it and see what I’ve got Monday. This piece of **** has me so baffled… don’t think there’s been a 6.0 I haven’t really been able to figure out, this one I’m lost on… appreciate it man.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I can't recall if I told you about that one I fought but I had 20 hours in it and the guy sued us and another shop took it apart and said the glow plug sleeves weren't seated and the customer supplied the heads from a very well known company who didn't back us up one bit..

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Nope, didn’t hear about that. That sucks. Makes sense though. However, typically when I e seen glow plug sleeve issues, it pressurizes the coolant, or drinks water. But like I said, I’m throwing logic out the window now…

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Hmmm, ok. We’ve got a couple laying around. Won’t take too long. Both harnesses looked on, main harness had damn near every temp sensor pigtail broken, like they typically are. But cam/crank pigtails looked ok, FICM harness looked fine. But I know visual ain’t ****, and didn’t test it. Thanks man!

79jasper

Reaction score
I'd swap in a new ficm harness for shiggles. Not much time involved even if it doesn't fix it.
Philosophically speaking, shouldn't that show on a buzz test or balance test?
I feel like start there, then do a compression and leak down test.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score

Buzz test passed, didn’t feel the injectors when they buzzed to verify it was the correct ones buzzing. Power balance prior to swapping the injectors showed 1&5 dead, didn’t re run the power balance after swapping the injectors, fired it up and verified it still wouldn’t rev. Don’t remember how it was idling. Had been a long day by that point.

ghohouston

Reaction score

You'd think so, but I've seen so many goofy electrical problems, you never know. Like I said, if it doesn't work, he isn't out a bunch of time.

bismic

Reaction score
If you have an early FICM (even though it is an 05 or 06 engine), they have their own individual circuits, so you can get individual injectors dropping out with a bad FICM. A bad logic side to a FICM will still pass the buzz test. Do you have a known good FICM to try?

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
If you have an early FICM (even though it is an 05 or 06 engine), they have their own individual circuits, so you can get individual injectors dropping out with a bad FICM. A bad logic side to a FICM will still pass the buzz test. Do you have a known good FICM to try?

Yeah gonna give one a shot, I swapped FICMs previously, but that was with a **** head on it. So I figure that test got thrown out the window due to the valves being hung open

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
So, think the saga has finally ended with this piece of shit… has had me banging my head as hard as I can on the wall every time I’ve had a chance to work on it. So after throwing a used set of heads in it from our race truck, thing still ran the same. Swapped engine harnesses, FICM harnesses, cam and crank sensors, ficms again, pcms again, tried everything. Tan a manual compression test and my bank 1 all 4 cylinders were royally ****ed. Like 50ish psi… pulled the motor again, no cross hatching on bank 1, had several valves that were leaking, motor went from ok to ****ed in about half hour of idling, no idea why. Built another motor with a good core we had sitting on the shelf. Used as many parts off the core as I could. Pistons, cam, crank, new bearings and rings, new set of heads. Dropped it in, ran the same. Got fed up walked a few doors up and talked to a big truck shop. He recommended swapping the hpop as cat engines will do similar when the pump is taking a shit. Never seen an 05 pump fail like that, but **** it. Put the pump in, fired up and revved no issue. I had left a lot of stuff off/loose/half assed assuming it wasn’t gonna work. So buttoned it all up, and no issues aside from an exhaust leak at the egr cooler to up pipe gasket. Fixed that, and then the ****er won’t start… At this point I’m contemplating eating a 12 gauge for lunch… so start going back thru and unbolt the down pipe, still won’t run. Said **** it and pulled the up pipes loose at the manifolds, and **** me if it don’t run… so pulled the turbo off and apart. No issues in it aside from sootier than a chimney. So while it’s getting cleaned I figured I’ll pull the up pipes off, cause at this point why the **** not, to verify there ain’t a bird or something stuck in them. Lo and behold the damn egr scoop on the short rh pipe had come dislodged and was blocking the entire pipe, and with a welded cooler the exhaust had no where to go.

Come to the conclusion this is probably what started this whole fiasco. That thing come loose, back pressure on that side blew the valves open and bent them, then excessive back pressure caused the motor issue after head swap. ****ed up thing is with it being on the rh side ebp wasn’t showing any issues, but for all we know it could’ve been over 200 psi or something…

Sorry for the long post, but figured this weird shit may help someone in the future…

Members online

No members online now.