Won't start after fuel filter change

bpb424

Reaction score
Changed fuel filters last night and I was in a hurry and forgot to cycle the pump before starting.
I'm pretty sure I have air in my lines, but the weird thing is I can hear the pump priming when I key on, but no fuel is filling the bowl.
When I open the water separator no fuel comes out either.
I don't know if the filter isn't seated correctly or what's going on.

bpb424

Reaction score
Yea I pulled both at the same time.
I'm thinking I got air in the line, but I can't get the hfcm to even full up.
I'm gonna take out the filter again to make sure it isn't seated wrong.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
turn the key on and let the pump cycle multiple times. air is entrapped into the system. do this 8-10 times. should start.

ghohouston

Reaction score
If you had both out at the same time, you just let a **** ton of air in your lines. I always do the lower first. Then pull the upper and cycle the key a few times to bleed the air

bpb424

Reaction score
Been cycling the ignition a sh*t load and when I open the drain on the water separator I still get no fuel. Sometimes I get a little puff of air but that's it....
Any help?

ghohouston

Reaction score
Either pull your upper fuel filter, which seems like the quicker way, and cycle the key until you start gettingfuel to the bowl, or there is a schrader valve near the fuel cooler that you can attatch an air chuck and small hose to, to drain some of the fuel and not get it all over the engine, if and when it gets there

bpb424

Reaction score
Took apart my water separator and found this was torn. Not sure if it's the culprit but I'm ordering a replacement to see if it helps.
image_zps5e02a03c.jpg

bpb424

Reaction score
Truck is still down I need some help.
I can hear the HFCM pump running when I key on, but when I open the separator nothing comes out. No fuel is getting to the fuel bowl either. I open the banjo bolt on the fuel cooler while keying on and no air bubbles, no fuel comes out at all

I have about 1/4 tank of fuel.

Looking for some help, I'm out of ideas

cw96stroker

Reaction score
I don't know much about 6.4s, but maybe ghohouston was saying to drop the fuel tank because somehow its not picking up fuel from there. Like the 7.3s having that lil plastic foot break off where you can't suck out any more fuel once you get done to about a quarter tank without it. Maybe the 6.4s have a similar common problem like this? Maybe you could either drop the tank an take a look or try getting some more fuel into it to see if it will start pumping it? Sorry I am not of much help.

TD-5

Reaction score
Just a few suggestions, From what you describe your HFCM pump will not prime, but is was fine before you changed filters.Time to start back to the beginning, Check everything on the suction side of the pump that you might have disturbed. Because that module is in such an Assanine spot, is the filter cap seal seated properly?, Did the suction line connection at the module get muscled around when changing the filter & now its sucking air.
How full is the fuel tank?, maybe the pump is weak & it cannot lift fuel from the tank if its almost M/T. Or maybe there is a problem at the tank connection or with the in tank pick up.

bpb424

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice TD-5. You are correct, it worked fine prior to removing the filter.
I have a feeling the pump is weak. I took the cover off the hfcm to mKe
Sure nothing was clogged. I have re-removed the filter numerous times and still nothing.
I believe I am going to buy just a new pump (not the whole hfcm) and go from
There

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.