would a coolant flush make a heater core start leaking?

hunter scar

Reaction score
I flushed my coolant today using Gooch method on the search great write up. But im know getting a small drip from what seems to be coming from the heater box in the engine compartment? But heat works fine. Is it possible the heater core is bad. If so how hard is it to replace on an 2002 f250

hunter scar

Reaction score
Most likely just a leak at the connection. Did you change the hoses?

NO I did not mess with the hoses at the heater core. But I will check them again they looked dry. It looks like its coming out of the bottom of the heater box just a steady drip.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Did you use a 'T' style kit with a regulator, or did you just give'r full pressure from the garden hose?

racerdad2

Reaction score
Sometimes a coolant flush will flush out the corrosion in a heater core or radiator that was selling up a small pin hole. I'm finding out the diesels are very complex & not at all like the gas engines I've played with for 50 years. The old tricks of black pepper, egg whites or Bars stop leak is probably a REALLY bad idea in these engines. Anyone try 'em ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
Personally, I think diesel engines are way simpler than a gas engine. other than that I agree with your post. But replace the heater core, don't patch it. If you can't replace it right now, bypass it.

racerdad2

Reaction score
Keep in mind that my first engine rebuild was a 216 Chevy six followed by the far more advanced 235. Have any of you seen the 'spoons' on the connecting rods for splash oiling ? Cruise control in my first pick-up was a factory hand throttle on the dash - pull out & twist to lock. I'm older than dirt :)

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
Actually 53, and I know where you are coming from. But no, I would not use any of those old school patch tricks on any modern car, diesel or gas.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
You can change the core in a couple hours on these.. just grab one from NAPA and a sixer of PBR on the way home..

the whole job parts and all including anti-freeze and brewskis should be less than a Ben Franklin..

Latest posts

Members online