Would you?

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
Would you be wary of an 03 that has recently had 5 of the 8 injectors replaced, ficm replaced and turbo replaced all within one year? It only has 160k on the clock and has nothing done to it performance wise. I think already know the answer but i am looking for opinions.

Atsah

Reaction score
03's in General would make me weary.. An 03 with 160K would make weary even more no matter what has been done for repairs.. Trust me when I tell ya, you don't want a first year out 10 year old 6.0 with 160K on it unless you have unlimited funds that you don't mind throwing down a rat hole..

yeehaw

Reaction score
never know, could buy it and drive it another 300k miles worry free. Id check the service history on it. Could be a decent buy for the right amount of money.

Extended Power

Reaction score
There is a fix for every problem the 6.0L ever had, so don't be scared of it.......

....unless you have no mechanical abilities....then I would just walk away...

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
There is a fix for every problem the 6.0L ever had, so don't be scared of it.......

....unless you have no mechanical abilities....then I would just walk away...

I'm not scared of doing the work. All that concerns me is if it could be a money pit. However, on the bright side a cummins conversion isn't terribly complex at that point.

chris89

Reaction score
I'm not scared of doing the work. All that concerns me is if it could be a money pit.

Aren't they all? What are your plans with the truck? For the right price I wouldn't be scared as long as know what your getting into.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
I'm not scared of doing the work. All that concerns me is if it could be a money pit. However, on the bright side a cummins conversion isn't terribly complex at that point.

A properly "fixed" up 6.0 is alot nicer then another cookie cutter cummins swap in a 03-07 super duty. After studs and a delete throw a set of 175's in and a MTW or Pmax and you got a 500hp (give or take) 03 6.0 thats reliable and pretty fast. lol

Reaction score
A properly "fixed" up 6.0 is alot nicer then another cookie cutter cummins swap in a 03-07 super duty. After studs and a delete throw a set of 175's in and a MTW or Pmax and you got a 500hp (give or take) 03 6.0 thats reliable and pretty fast. lol

Well said my friend!

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
The plans for the truck are relatively mild, injectors and a MTW and thats about the long and the short of it. It wont even be a daily and he is willing to trade plus cash so that is why I was curious about everyone else's opinion. I never had any problems with my old 6.0 but it was basic, street tune, egr delete, exhaust, gauges, and coolant filter.

ghohouston

Reaction score
low fuel pressure would be one of my bets. also, ALOT of people do not EVER change their lower fuel filters... i have replaced hundreds of 6.0 injectors due to overdue services, people not changing fuel filters, and low fuel pressure. and on the other hand, i saw an 03 6.0 not long ago that had never had the valve covers off, and had around 310k miles, crazy, i know, but that was a freak of nature, even when maintained properly, injectors will wear of course, but as you know im sure, 6.0's are notorious for dropping injectors

silverbullet4x4

Reaction score
low fuel pressure would be one of my bets. also, ALOT of people do not EVER change their lower fuel filters... i have replaced hundreds of 6.0 injectors due to overdue services, people not changing fuel filters, and low fuel pressure. and on the other hand, i saw an 03 6.0 not long ago that had never had the valve covers off, and had around 310k miles, crazy, i know, but that was a freak of nature, even when maintained properly, injectors will wear of course, but as you know im sure, 6.0's are notorious for dropping injectors

Thanks for your input, I hadn't really thought of that being a culprit but he did mention that both fuel filters had been changed when the injectors were done. That is a crazy amount of stock head bolt miles for an 03.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
The plans for the truck are relatively mild, injectors and a MTW and thats about the long and the short of it. It wont even be a daily and he is willing to trade plus cash so that is why I was curious about everyone else's opinion. I never had any problems with my old 6.0 but it was basic, street tune, egr delete, exhaust, gauges, and coolant filter.

:thumbsup:

MTW's stage 1 is cheaper now after thier price changes made, and comes with his billet wheel. Instead of the cast unit and the choice of a billet wheel. Pretty good deal IMO. That with some 155s or 175s and supporting mods....:drool::drool::drool:

Latest posts

Members online