WW2 Design Change?

Smoker Stroker

Reaction score
Just got the new issue of Diesel Power Magazine. Saw a great little piece about the WW2. However, the picture with it is way different than any wheel I've seen Dieselsite offer.

WP_000464_zps86d4483d.jpg

According to Dieselsite's website the WW2 looks like this:

wwg2_sm.jpg

The only wheel I could find that looks like the one in Diesel power is the billet wheel offered by Riffraff Diesel:

RDP170293.png

So did Dieselsite switch the WW2 to a 6/6 wheel?

Last edited:

fbilly420

Reaction score
I am pretty sure dieselsite offers billet wheels for a few different turbos. Maybe just a pic of one of their other wheels.

Dieselsite

Reaction score
Looks like my 66/94 wheel which we talked about on our Facebook page HERE. Also, I noticed the typo that the WW2 is for the 99.5-03, and should have stated it was for a 94-03, but heh, any plug in DieselPower is a good one. I'll take it. :thumbup:

There have been many co’s offering turbos using the phrase “66” in it referring to the 66mm inducer 38R compressor wheel being retrofitted into the stock turbo. The back plate must be cut and the compressor cover must be re-profiled. Not something that anything less than a computerized CNC lathe can accomplish.

We released the Wicked Wheel II for the 38R a while back and while that wheel does indeed “work” and fit in the 66 model turbos, we decided to design a new wheel specifically for this model that will address possible surge issues with the OEM non-ported compressor covers.

Bob

Dieselsite

Reaction score
So are saying you've change the wheel that goes in the 38r?

No sir. We have our 38R wheel and will be soon offering a different design for the 66mm version turbos. It will perform slightly better in the non-ported housings.

Bob

Smoker Stroker

Reaction score
There have been many co’s offering turbos using the phrase “66” in it referring to the 66mm inducer 38R compressor wheel being retrofitted into the stock turbo.

In my original post, I referenced a 6/6 wheel not a "66". I was referring to the blade design. Your WW2 is a 5/5. 5 long blades, 5 short blades. The wheel in the ad is a 6/6. 6 long blades, 6 short ones. Nothing about the inducer.

Is the "66" wheel you are talking about this one? http://www.riffraffdiesel.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=RRD&Product_Code=RDP-729567-0001&Category_Code=F731-TRB-CW

Last edited:

Jennifer@Dieselsite

Reaction score
Sorry about any confusion still... but what Bob is saying is the wheel pictured in the articles IS a Wicked Wheel, it's just not the WW2 for the stock 7.3L turbos. It's our wheel we specifically designed for the 66 mm turbos. It is a 6/6 design.

Please keep in mind, this wheel is not intended for use in the 38R as the wheel Bob designed for the 38R is specific for it's housing. Since the "66" turbos use a 38R sized wheel, our 38R wheel is usable in those turbos but had the potential to surge so we've designed this one specifically for these modified turbos.

Hope this clears up any confusion!

Smoker Stroker

Reaction score
Sorry about any confusion still... but what Bob is saying is the wheel pictured in the articles IS a Wicked Wheel, it's just not the WW2 for the stock 7.3L turbos. It's our wheel we specifically designed for the 66 mm turbos. It is a 6/6 design.

Please keep in mind, this wheel is not intended for use in the 38R as the wheel Bob designed for the 38R is specific for it's housing. Since the "66" turbos use a 38R sized wheel, our 38R wheel is usable in those turbos but had the potential to surge so we've designed this one specifically for these modified turbos.

Hope this clears up any confusion!

I am still a little confused. How is the one Bob designed different from the 6/6 one already on the market for the 66mm housing?

rat49f6

Reaction score
Bob I have a custom hand machined turbob that was built around your 38r wheel. I'm running this with 250/100s how much would I benifit from the "66" wheel ? And will it fit exactly the same?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Smoker Stroker

Reaction score
Bob I have a custom hand machined turbob that was built around your 38r wheel. I'm running this with 250/100s how much would I benifit from the "66" wheel ? And will it fit exactly the same?

From what I understand, Bob says your current setup will surge and you really should have something like this

Dieselsite

Reaction score

The 38R wheel will move slightly more air, and if you have no surge (tuning plays a huge role), then I'd run the one you have. Yes, it will fit exactly the same.

I do have so few minutes to get time to get on the forums. if anyone needs more details that I haven't answered here, feel free to call me directly at the office.

Bob

Last edited:

NRHX2009

Reaction score
There have been many co’s offering turbos using the phrase “66” in it referring to the 66mm inducer 38R compressor wheel being retrofitted into the stock turbo. The back plate must be cut and the compressor cover must be re-profiled. Not something that anything less than a computerized CNC lathe can accomplish.

Bob

Im not sure why not, I do it everyday with a 1953 16" Southbend Lathe

rat49f6

Reaction score
Yeah mine was cut on a hand op machine too

Latest posts

Members online