WW2 on 38R

F350-6

Reaction score
So what's the consensus on the WW2 on the 38R? I've read some about a bunch of snapped shafts in the turbo, needing to have the assembly balanced or not, etc.

Need to pull the turbo on the wife's truck to fix an oil leak so if it's not going to tear things up, was considering adding the WW2 while it's all apart.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
IMO, the stock cast wheel works best for the 38r. Was there a reason you were considering switching over to the WW2?

ToMang07

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste your money. Seen too many threads where they broke, and pretty much none claiming they were any better after being dyno'd. (As in NOT from somebody trying to sell you one.)

F350-6

Reaction score
IMO, the stock cast wheel works best for the 38r. Was there a reason you were considering switching over to the WW2?

No reason other than just another new toy, and the turbo was going to be off anyway so the swap would have been really easy.

Wasn't convinced it was the best option, so that's why I'm asking for feedback.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Just depending on how out of balanced the 2 parts are, will be how long the two like each other.

F350-6

Reaction score
Just depending on how out of balanced the 2 parts are, will be how long the two like each other.

As fast as those things spin, I wouldn't think it would take much at all to lead to disaster. Then again I've also heard stories about how each piece is balanced individually so there isn't a concern.

I've installed several Gen 1 wicked wheels (OBS wheels) on the super duties without any balancing or destruction. Haven't read about it much either. The Gen 2 wheels seem to have more of a story with this type of thing.

David N

Reaction score
I changed alot of other things at the same time as changing the wheel. The only thing I noticed is how much quieter it is. The wheel takes away that annoying whine a 38R has and replaces it with the traditional swhooshing sound a turbo is supposed to make.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Is the D66 quieter than the stock wheel?

Its gotta be....the single plane wheel is almost completely quiet other than higher boost whistling. The 6x6 wheel should be quieter too and it would move air better in lower to mid throttle inputs.

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Little more pep down low when towing. Less smoke it seemed. Definitely seemed to spool a touch quicker. Went from getting 8.5 mpg towing to about 9.8. My truck is my daily driver and I tow about 8-10k lbs about 3 times a week.
I have since swapped to a BASB.

liquidlounge

Reaction score
Little more pep down low when towing. Less smoke it seemed. Definitely seemed to spool a touch quicker. Went from getting 8.5 mpg towing to about 9.8. My truck is my daily driver and I tow about 8-10k lbs about 3 times a week.
Did you notice a significant difference going from your modded 38R to the BASB?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
No reason other than just another new toy, and the turbo was going to be off anyway so the swap would have been really easy.

Wasn't convinced it was the best option, so that's why I'm asking for feedback.

If you aren't having issues related to the wheel, I wouldn't mess with it. The stock cast wheel on a 38r works very well. I have heard of too many 38r's blowing after swapping to a WW2 (I actually talked to two different guys yesterday that had that happen). The billet wheels seem to be a bigger improvement on the stock turbo. If you do decide to put one on your 38R, get the assembly balanced.

The Brad

Reaction score

What's your recommendation for someone considering either the 6/6 wheel for the 38r, or staring over with a BASB?

PSD POWER007

Reaction score
Did you notice a significant difference going from your modded 38R to the BASB?
Yes. Spool is just as quick down low, but the increased flow from the BASB can be felt from spool up all the way up. And there is no comparison egt wise. The BASB is MUCH cooler. My truck smokes less, pulls stronger, and runs cooler.

What's your recommendation for someone considering either the 6/6 wheel for the 38r, or staring over with a BASB?
Depends on your wallet. Having been there and done that, I have NO regrets making the switch to the BASB. That's not the popular opinion on this forum, but the ones that have argued my opinion have ONLY run the 38r. I have run both and tow heavy frequently and my mileage gain and cooler egts and butt Dyno don't lie LOL.

Latest posts