Zf6 swap question

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Ok so I found a decent deal on a zf6 with a transfer case and both drive shafts. It came out of a RCLB super duty and I'd be putting it in my RCLB obs. Question is, are the drive shaft lengths close enough to work? I searched every where and didn't find anything about the shafts.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Seriously doubt they're the same. Was told the crossmember needs to be from SD. I think.

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
I beleive I've heard that before as well. I think I'll have to change differential yokes as well, or get adapter u joints to even run them. Thought if it would work, it might be the cheapest way to go

79jasper

Reaction score
Wanna say the 6 is longer. I would just have driveshafts modified.
Hopefully you already know the other changes for the 6 over the 5.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Yeah I know going from auto to manual I'll need to do something about my computer, thought maybe I could have my chip reflashed to manual but not sure. Then flywheel, linkages, etc.

iowacornfarmer

Reaction score
You don't have to change anything with the computer when going auto to manual and as far as the drive shafts go just measure what they need to be and have them cut/lengthened to work

JSchuricht

Reaction score
When I did mine I used the front donor shaft but modified the OBS rear shaft. Once the ZF6 and NP271 were mounted I just held up the stock OBS shaft and marked the center of the ujoint, it was about 1" shorter. Had them install a 1410 yoke to match the NP271 output. I didn't like the idea of a conversion ujoint, especially if I ever needed to replace it while on the road.

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
Oh I was always told I would have to do something about the computer. I didn't really like the adapter u joints idea either but oh well. Gonna look at it this weekend, see if it's worth it or not

JSchuricht

Reaction score
The auto computer works fine. The only issues I have with mine running an auto computer is a bit of a lope if I try to take off immediately after starting the truck which is only noticable at a drivethrugh. The light doesn't come on but there are some soft codes and the cruise control works fine.

thatsmokinobs

Reaction score
He told me a little more about it today. He said that it's got a synchro that has been bad for a while and he thinks there's something else going now. I don't think it's worth what he's asking. Oh well, that's not exactly at the top of my need list right now haha

Latest posts

Members online