Resurgence of a F100

6speedsd

Reaction score
backpressure isnt the issue. you could run open headers and not have an issue.

has it always been sluggish or is this something that just came up when choke went screwy?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Midrange has always been a little sluggish from day one in my opinion. The run between the 2-3 shift is where it's sort of just blah.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
I think I've decided to ditch the Magnaflows and put on a chambered muffler. I gave it a couple months to decide if I like it the way it is, but I really don't. Cruising at 2500 rpms it sounds good, but I think chambered is the way to go. Seriously considering trying out the Thrush chambered muffler. They get great reviews, and should be comparable to a 40 series in sound.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I think I've decided to ditch the Magnaflows and put on a chambered muffler. I gave it a couple months to decide if I like it the way it is, but I really don't. Cruising at 2500 rpms it sounds good, but I think chambered is the way to go. Seriously considering trying out the Thrush chambered muffler. They get great reviews, and should be comparable to a 40 series in sound.

its hard to duplicate a 40 series... many have tried, many have failed.. lol

6speedsd

Reaction score
True, but for $30 per, why not try and see. I don't have to worry about rust, so it should hold up. If it fails, or sounds like garbage, the solution is as simple as a sawzall.

All else fails, I could slap the 2" tailpipes back on it that ole boy had on there. He had full 2" exhaust from manifolds back, no h-pipe no mufflers. I'm sure it popped and sounded like shat.

78f100

Reaction score
Awesome truck. I have a 78 I painted in high school at auto body class. Years later I pulled the boat anchor 351m and put in a Windsor with afr heads . Mine is a lwb 2wd and back then it ran 9.20 in the 1/8th. It's setting in my shop wasting away, now this makes me want to get her back road ready.
Not sure if you got your bog in the midrange out yet as I didn't read the whole thing, but I had a issue with mine doing the same thing. It was taken care of with valve adjustment, I had the lash a little too loose and it really killed the power above 4k. I used rhodes anti pump up lifters though. Hope you get it all lined out, these are my favorite trucks ever. Now I have to go back and read the rest of the thread...

6speedsd

Reaction score
Awesome truck. I have a 78 I painted in high school at auto body class. Years later I pulled the boat anchor 351m and put in a Windsor with afr heads . Mine is a lwb 2wd and back then it ran 9.20 in the 1/8th. It's setting in my shop wasting away, now this makes me want to get her back road ready.
Not sure if you got your bog in the midrange out yet as I didn't read the whole thing, but I had a issue with mine doing the same thing. It was taken care of with valve adjustment, I had the lash a little too loose and it really killed the power above 4k. I used rhodes anti pump up lifters though. Hope you get it all lined out, these are my favorite trucks ever. Now I have to go back and read the rest of the thread...

How did you like those AFR heads? I've read several articles talking about how a set of AFR 165's is hands down one of the best bolt on mods for a SBF. Want to say it was HotRod mag that claimed something like 80hp gain with just the heads, which seems a bit unrealistic to me. Im running the junk E7 cast heads, which I know suck for performance. Was just running what I had at the time and trying to get the truck road worthy.

No issues above 4K. Like I said, my issue is the range between the 2-3 shifts. Pretty sure my valves are set right too. I took quite a bit of time making sure that was right during assembly. Just standard stamped rockers and Comp hyd lifters.

mandkole

Reaction score
Big gains with heads on a small ford. Our mild 306 in the drag car picked up 4 tenths (60-70 hp) with edel 165s, but just know these heads are sometimes not bolt on ready and they don't show issues until you have some miles on them. Surface flatness, valve seats not straight, tight guides, etc. Nothing sucks more than spending $1600 for a set of heads only to have another 3-400 into them. Once they are dialed in, they rip.

6speedsd

Reaction score
There was a guy locally on CL selling a set of new Edelbrock E Street heads, supposedly just bolted them on but never ran, for $600. Seeing as how they are the budget end of their heads (less than $1k new), I decided to hold off.

I don't know if I want to try building this small block, or just save up a while and swap to a big block. No replacement for displacement right! Besides, there's only so much you can do to a 302 before you start dropping serious coin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
you don't want the E streets... they are a real low cost head. The RPMs are much nicer. When I do it again, the castings will be bare and prepped first with spec'd parts.

FEs are pretty spendy for performance parts--not cheap power. If its just a street cruiser, a 351W with a nice rotating assy, stockish heads and a small blower would be badazz in a heavier truck.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I still haven't ruled out the 408. I looked into that YEARS ago when I had my 351W Bronco. I actually thought I had a lead on a 351w before I bought the 302 I have now, but dude turned out to be a flake. Most likely, I'll end up getting a set of AFR's at some point down the road, maybe a MSD box and distributor, and run that a while. Those should wake her up big time.

Any sort of engine change will be a while. I only have about 1000 miles on this one now. Just thinking out loud about the future really. The truck will never see the track, just run me back and forth to work a couple days a week, and the wife and kiddos around on the weekends. But if would still be fun to stomp the skinny pedal at will and it take off like a banshee. Right now, you stomp the pedal, and it just sounds really good. LOL. That's about it. But in reality, it's probably not that slow...I'm just used to the power of my dually, and that makes anything else I get in feel slow.

6speedsd

Reaction score
BOOST is the answer you are looking for.

Which would also mean a whole new bottom end...pistons, rods, ect....better flowing heads to accommodate, more fuel, built trans...and it goes on and on.

Sign me up! And also refer me a good divorce lawyer...lol

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Which would also mean a whole new bottom end...pistons, rods, ect....better flowing heads to accommodate, more fuel, built trans...and it goes on and on.

Sign me up! And also refer me a good divorce lawyer...lol

lol.. i hear ya!!

78f100

Reaction score
I love the afr heads but I didn't pay full price or I wouldn't have bought then at the time. My cousin who was a pretty well known engine builder around here built the short block for a guy. It was supposed to go in a mustang but the guy for some reason couldn't finish the car. The heads were still in the box and I bought the short block and heads for 1600 back then the heads alone was 1700. It has hypereutectic pistons in it but was worth every penny and has been ran hard without issue.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I looked them up on Summit and Jegs the other day. They run $1500-1700 a set now.

Didn't drive it today or yesterday. Walked by it this afternoon and one of my tires is half flat. I think new tires are next on the list.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I looked them up on Summit and Jegs the other day. They run $1500-1700 a set now.

Didn't drive it today or yesterday. Walked by it this afternoon and one of my tires is half flat. I think new tires are next on the list.

id say you got some use out of the tires if they have been cracking.. better safe then sorry to get a new set on the ole girl..