Resurgence of a F100

6speedsd

Reaction score
I need to do something about that steering wheel too. Interior needs the seat redone, and new vinyl for the floor, and I think it'll be complete for the most part. Realized last night that my reverse lights aren't working, so I'll have to figure that out at some point.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Well, she left me stranded for the first time today. Drove it to church and lunch afterwards. We loaded back up and got ready to head home, hit the key and got nothing. Not even a click of the solenoid. I'm thinking the battery crapped out or something so put a set of cables on it and still got nothing. Headlights wouldn't even turn on. Wiggled the key and got dash lights, but when you try to crank it, all I got was a click of the solenoid then no power again. Tried jumping the starter directly, but again nothing. Finally called my brother to come tow us home, which was fortunately less than 10 miles. Had somewhere else to be so I didn't fool with it until we got back home a bit ago. Put a new starter solenoid on it just because it's cheap and looked old. Same thing. Wiggle the key and you'll eventually get power in the on position, and if you turn the key backwards to ACC, you get power nearly every time. So apparently something let go in the ignition switch. Weird that it just happened all at once though, and you'd think it when you do get power, it would fire off and not just click once and go back to nothing. I'll get another one at some point this week and swap them out.

Last edited:

6speedsd

Reaction score
Yeah I could have been half way home, or at some point when none was available to help. There are bound to be a few bugs here and there to work out over time like this.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I thought about that, but if one of those was bad, it wouldn't work intermittently....I don't think so anyways.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Got the issue sorted out this afternoon. All that headache over a bad ground. Swapped on a new ignition switch, and then would get power, but as soon as you did anything power related....cut the key on, turned the headlights on....you lost all power. I'm no electrician, but that screamed ground to me. Had the dash torn half way apart chasing wires, checking all fusible links I could find, finally made my way to the engine compartment checking everything I could think of. Finally I grabbed the negative battery cable and saw the dome light flicker. Bingo! Unbolted it from the block, stripped the rubber back, recrimped and taped the terminal, cleaned up the mating surface on the block and bolted it back in place. Tadah...problem solved. Everything works as it should again. I really do hate chasing electrical gremlins though.

psduser1

Reaction score
Got the issue sorted out this afternoon. All that headache over a bad ground. Swapped on a new ignition switch, and then would get power, but as soon as you did anything power related....cut the key on, turned the headlights on....you lost all power. I'm no electrician, but that screamed ground to me. Had the dash torn half way apart chasing wires, checking all fusible links I could find, finally made my way to the engine compartment checking everything I could think of. Finally I grabbed the negative battery cable and saw the dome light flicker. Bingo! Unbolted it from the block, stripped the rubber back, recrimped and taped the terminal, cleaned up the mating surface on the block and bolted it back in place. Tadah...problem solved. Everything works as it should again. I really do hate chasing electrical gremlins though.

:thumbup:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

NICE!! but yeah, its simple things like that, that will drive you bonkers then its like wah lah!! problem solved.. all that for this tiny lil 10 min fix!😠😠😠 lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

dsberman94

Reaction score
Especially when you seem to be fixing some else's messes. It's not like you bought that truck one owner, never been touched. I still find stuff I have to fix from the PO of my truck. Aggravates the chit out of me sometimes.

6speedsd

Reaction score
I never expected to have a trouble free truck for a while, but that one threw me for a loop. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Drove it a little today and it wants to idle high for some reason. Like 1100 rpms in park or neutral. Wasn't doing that a week ago, and it's a bit annoying in traffic trying to stand on the brakes. Has a bad hesitation off idle too. Seems really odd that it's a coincidence after sitting all week. Hoping this wiring short didn't eff with my ignition components.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I never expected to have a trouble free truck for a while, but that one threw me for a loop. I wasn't expecting that at all.

Drove it a little today and it wants to idle high for some reason. Like 1100 rpms in park or neutral. Wasn't doing that a week ago, and it's a bit annoying in traffic trying to stand on the brakes. Has a bad hesitation off idle too. Seems really odd that it's a coincidence after sitting all week. Hoping this wiring short didn't eff with my ignition components.

set screw for idle fuel maybe?.. hesitation means to much fuel not enough air or spark or both.. might need to adjust the pump shot on the carb too.... unless you mean when you just slightly tip into it and not stab it?

6speedsd

Reaction score
Stab it...I still haven't gotten a regulator on the fuel feed yet....still running like 9psi, which may be part of the issue. Just wasn't as pronounced a week ago as it was today. It's seemed to run a bit rich from day one, but supposedly it's already set for ideal running conditions out of the box. I really don't want to start fooling with jets.

bluedge8

Reaction score
Get a regulator asap, you are probably pushing fuel past the needle and seat

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
That would explain the rich condition. I'll get it ordered this week. Probably go on and order an electric pump too while I'm at it...had intentions of going electric all along and was just waiting to do it all at once.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Stab it...I still haven't gotten a regulator on the fuel feed yet....still running like 9psi, which may be part of the issue. Just wasn't as pronounced a week ago as it was today. It's seemed to run a bit rich from day one, but supposedly it's already set for ideal running conditions out of the box. I really don't want to start fooling with jets.

possible that the throttle cable/linkage is sticky?

but yeah, get a regulator too

6speedsd

Reaction score
997fa6afebba84a0d2074b43b100d9fe.jpg

Opinions on what these rims would look like gloss black? I've been debating with myself over plastidipping one to see how it'd look.

Latest posts

Members online