Anyone running Gearhead Tunes?

mattmal9

Reaction score
I have the H&S Mini Maxx and Ive just been looking at other tunes available. My local shop just recommended that I use Gearhead. Are any of you guys running these tunes and whats your opinion on them? What kind of power levels can you get? Lastly do you keep the "on the fly" tune change available?

Thanks guys
Matt

Elliott6.7

Reaction score
I'm running Gearhead Tunes on my '12 6.7. The tunes are strong and the shifting is spot-on. Not sure what the power levels are but all of the shift on fly settings are great.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

12stroker

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37969

Yes tunes are on the fly here is the thread on the tunes but they are still in the beta stages.

So far my take is more power then can tunes I have tow,street,performance.
Also running his trans tune it shifts a lot better then can h&s tune.
I run my truck mostly on tow tune just due to the past forgetting to change it when I hook up to a trailer.
I have ran it on other messing around but my truck definitely needs traction bars now.

mattmal9

Reaction score
http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37969

Yes tunes are on the fly here is the thread on the tunes but they are still in the beta stages.

So far my take is more power then can tunes I have tow,street,performance.
Also running his trans tune it shifts a lot better then can h&s tune.
I run my truck mostly on tow tune just due to the past forgetting to change it when I hook up to a trailer.
I have ran it on other messing around but my truck definitely needs traction bars now.

Has anyone put these tunes on a dyno or track tested them yet? But happy to hear the shifting is better. Thats my biggest reason for trying a new tune and trying to get a little more power of course!

Elliott6.7

Reaction score
Everything about the tunes are better than the canned H&S stuff or some other custom tunes I have tried. I have OUO traction bars on my truck and the shifting is awesome. Stock-like at light throttle settings and nice and firm when you get on it harder. I really enjoy running this tune.

12stroker

Reaction score
Has anyone put these tunes on a dyno or track tested them yet? But happy to hear the shifting is better. Thats my biggest reason for trying a new tune and trying to get a little more power of course!

I will probably put my truck on the dyno but not till may. I am busy planting this time of the year. As far as track I might or might not in April at Ennis it all really matters if I can get done planting.

MorganM

Reaction score
Everything about the tunes are better than the canned H&S stuff or some other custom tunes I have tried. I have OUO traction bars on my truck and the shifting is awesome. Stock-like at light throttle settings and nice and firm when you get on it harder. I really enjoy running this tune.

Which other tunes have you tried?

Im currently running Demonic Diesel tunes and expect to have the Gearhead tune arriving in my email pretty soon.
Looking forward to comparing the two and discovering why everyone raves about Gearhead.

Elliott6.7

Reaction score
Which other tunes have you tried?

Im currently running Demonic Diesel tunes and expect to have the Gearhead tune arriving in my email pretty soon.
Looking forward to comparing the two and discovering why everyone raves about Gearhead.

I have tried both the SPE Hot X and their tow engine and trans files. They were definitely better than the canned tunes, but the Gearhead files are more refined powerwise and the best trans tuning I have used so far.

MorganM

Reaction score
Morgan how do those demonic tunes compare to the can h&s tunes?

Sent from a lawn mower

Smoother throttle response, more factory like, but with additional power available. Less smoke. Shifting is firmer and more predictable, as well.

I'd say much more refined than canned h&s tunes.

I did set a threshold for defueling dependent on boost > 28psi since the tune itself appeared limitless.

MadDiesel73

Reaction score
I have matts tunes as well.. alot more power in the performance tune , less smoke and way better trans tuning. man i love the trans tune when i get on it shifts are so quick firm and precise.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
It will be soon. But the tunes are great, smooth shifting great power. I need to fill up my truck so I will check my milage figures this is the first full tank I have ran with the GH tunes. I am hoping to make it to the track soon but it all depends if I am in the field or not

Last edited:

12stroker

Reaction score
I have gotten one tank running tow tune I got 16.6 mpg that was with a 12 f250 CCSB icon leveling kit stock wheels on 35 12.50 20 inch tires on it right now and 45 gallons of diesel in the bed.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
I hopefully will have Matts Gearhead tunes by this weekend. The H&S tunes are fine but the trans feels like its always changing its mind. If I get Matts tunes this weekend I'll give an update on what I think. I've heard/read a lot about his trans tuning is a lot better.

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Loaded the Gearhead tunes tonight and went for about an hour or 2 drive. The Gearhead tunes are amazing IMO.

Shifting is so much better. Smoother, quicker, and just feels better all around.

Power is definitely still there. Kinda hard to tell the exact power difference between Gearhead and H&S without a dyno but it's definitely equal if not more.

Smokes less than the H&S tunes. It still gives a little puff when you mash it from a stop and still hazes a little when you're on it but overall there is less smoke. Even just revving it it smokes less.

I drove a little bit of the route I take to work everyday so I could compare my fuel mileage real quick. Seems to do a little bit better on the mileage but I'll have to drive it more to really give it a good comparison.

All in all, definitely a solid set of tunes and I'll be sticking with Gearhead from here on out.

WHY NOT

Reaction score
I just filled up my truck yesterday and got a hand calculated 14.2mpg avg, with the H&S tunes I am normally about 13.5 or so. This is with a bunch of short trips 1-2 trips of about 40 miles or more, pulling my trailer, idling quite a bit on the cooler days etc etc. I would consider it an improvement of what I have been getting with the canned tunes.

Latest posts

Members online