Bigger fuel tank..

SD6.7

Reaction score
Install with Titan tank is super easy, can be done in well under an hour. No lift required. I did one on a F450.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AK3403

Reaction score
I did a little talking and people here in South Dakota say that if I did a tank/toolbox combo in my bed that it's illegal to have it hooked up to my stock tank because it's a fire hazard? Anyone know for sure?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zmann

Reaction score
it's a DOT thing as far as I have seen not sure if states have regulations for this ? your not supposed to have it feed direct (gravity feed)
I believe it is the same reason the OEM tank vents have roll over valves and ETC they don't want all that fuel to deal with either on the ground or on fire ( ever try to light diesel with a match ? )

but no ones routinely checking and you an do it safely IMHO if it was a work truck or other liability I would / did go with a Titan or other replacement or just have a pump for the combo unit

notice how many folks do sump modifications to their tanks ? the reason oem is top draw is the same theory

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The tank that i have states that its 50 state legal, so i dunno what makes it that way but maybe having a pump that has to feed the tank is what makes it ok? Im not positive but i know they say its legal.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
As a matter of fact the only time i have ever heard of fuel tank laws or tanks being ok to have has to do with the kind that have a pump in the tank. Some laws or some tanks prohibit the use of a tank with the pump and nozzle in place during transportation unless the tank or pump is certified to do so. I have no idea what these laws entail tho

on edit this should answer any questions

http://transferflow.com/regulations#under10k

Last edited:

Zmann

Reaction score
but maybe having a pump that has to feed the tank is what makes it ok?

I agree
I think the pump is the factor otherwise the tank has a gravity feed fitting at the bottom and can drain the whole content if the line from it gets ruptured

EDIT haven't read the link yet

Agjake11

Reaction score
Haven't seen anything about gravity feed tank to tank being illegal but more feeding the injectors/fuel pump directly from an in bed tank gravity feed was.

BFinMO

Reaction score
Dennis, it sits like 6 in below the flat part of the frame and his doesn't have a shield or anything. My stock tank sits 5 in or so and then there's the shield below that. If you can look at a 4 wd truck the transferflow tank is dead even with the transfer case skid plate.

I'll have to check when it's full but if it does it was nothing that I could notice.

Both companies should be reading this post, and thinking Hmmm ... Maybe we should offer a 40gal option that doesn't sit lower than OEM...

I would be all over that.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
My dad and I both are wanting to go to larger tanks. I don't drive near as much as I use to, but it would still be nice for my trips from GA to NC or vacation.

Redrider8293

Reaction score
Both companies should be reading this post, and thinking Hmmm ... Maybe we should offer a 40gal option that doesn't sit lower than OEM...

I would be all over that.

What he said I don't want or need a 50 but a 35 or 40 would be nice

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online