cknox121's slow build

sootie

Reaction score
68 on the mini maxx is fine. just keep it below 70 unless you are using an analog gauge because the factory senor maxxes out at 72

Cknox121

Reaction score
68 on the mini maxx is fine. just keep it below 70 unless you are using an analog gauge because the factory senor maxxes out at 72

Drake isn't using the mini max. Just didn't want to float a valve

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Erikclaw

Reaction score
float a valve or have a valve hit the piston. Can you float valves in a diesel like you can in a gasser?

97stoker350

Reaction score
It's my understanding that floating a valve is due to too much pressure and valve piston contact can result from valve float OR not enough clearance to begin with. Valve float can be controlled via the gates and boost. However if there's not enough clearance from the get go you will have contact. Contact can even come from rpm but that is a side effect from not having enough spring pressure to return the valve fast enough

Motostroker

Reaction score
We won't float a valve. I have way to many guages hanging off the wipers and IDS in cab to monitor everything. Summit needs to hurry up with the fittings and we will be roasting some grapplers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cknox121

Reaction score
float a valve or have a valve hit the piston. Can you float valves in a diesel like you can in a gasser?

Iirc that's what's causes valve/piston contact. See below.

It's my understanding that floating a valve is due to too much pressure and valve piston contact can result from valve float OR not enough clearance to begin with. Valve float can be controlled via the gates and boost. However if there's not enough clearance from the get go you will have contact. Contact can even come from rpm but that is a side effect from not having enough spring pressure to return the valve fast enough

That's the plan! Thanks

We won't float a valve. I have way to many guages hanging off the wipers and IDS in cab to monitor everything. Summit needs to hurry up with the fittings and we will be roasting some grapplers

Lol I bet people are like wtf when they see it. Maybe that's way all videos are at night lol.

FWIW - the shop that did my motor work installed Pistons and then decked them flat with the heads, or something like that, to prevent piston/valve contact. I was going to have them cut but I didn't think I was going this high of a hp build. Oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sootie

Reaction score
Drake isn't using the mini max. Just didn't want to float a valve

10-4, i though i saw somewhere that it was H&S tuning, my bad

you can float the exhaust valves by having way to much ebp which pushes the valve open and doesnt let it seat even if there is no force from the pushrod (hydraulic lifters dont help)

excessive rpms can cause intake valves to have piston contact because they dont have a chance to seat properly before the next revolution comes around

Cknox121

Reaction score
I'll just leave this here lol
6ebb5d7c9bb59d1e7ed8a11301529a01.jpg