Ford Rules 6.0 build

ford rules

Reaction score
Seams like about what I was thinking. As far as cam timing does it just have timing marks to line up with the crank or? That's the only part I'm unsure/worried about doing. I shouldn't have to degree the cam or anything correct?

ford rules

Reaction score
Anyone^
Got my 4'' DP today waiting for my fuellab pump to come in should be here next week i hope.
Gonna try to get the cab off sunday and i took monday off to work on the truck also hoping to get some stuff done.
My ranger looking deprived with superduty parts all over it
null_zps02a086bc.jpg

webb06

Reaction score
The cam gear will have an indention in it. Then on the crank there is a peg that sticks out. Those two need to meet where the crank and cam meet. The service manual shows a special tool to align them but you don't need it

ford rules

Reaction score
So just bar the motor over till they line up, does it need to be on #1tdc or anything like that? Thanks a lot. I'm gonna see if the local dealer has a service manual.

ford rules

Reaction score
Had a few grad party's to go to today but I managed to get the cab off, took about 4 hrs total and I didn't miss anything so I was happy with that. Gonna try to get the heads off tmrw.
null_zpsccdd4ea8.jpg

ford rules

Reaction score
Pretty easy really, trans lines in the lower radiator took about and hr alone to do. I didn't have the right disconnect tool then tried to make one that didn't work and eventually pulled the whole fitting out of the radiator. Other than that no issues. I'd say I could do it in about 2 hrs now that I've done it before.

webb06

Reaction score
Yep you gotta have the special disconnect tool. And even with it they can be bad sometimes. Ya I'm sure you can literally cut your time in half the second time you do it.

ford rules

Reaction score
Yea, gonna see what my snapon guy has and maybe buy a set.
Okay gonna get my heads off today, anyone know of a good shop in MI to take them to? What's the max that can be taken off the heads, .008 if memory serves correct. Anything else I should have done to the heads while off besides check for cracks and straightness?

ford rules

Reaction score
Well got one off just gotta get the rocker box off the other side. It dosent look like they were leaking into the chambers really.
null_zps464e59b8.jpg

null_zpsd3464d24.jpg

null_zps6fa2aa05.jpg

null_zps1eb91380.jpg

null_zps0ace7e43.jpg

If the heads check out okay ill pull the cam out.

ford rules

Reaction score
Both heads are off hope to get em to a machine shop tmrw and then order more parts. Also cut my fuel filter off the oil filter base and cleaned it up.
null_zpsaa57e972.jpg

Mdub707

Reaction score
There is no max number you can have taken off the heads, you need to measure the head thickness. Ford's spec is minimum 3.74", whatever above that you are, is how much you can reasonably take off.

I had the same problem with my trans lines... ended up with a hairline crack in the radiator upon reassembly from removing and reinstalling trans lines... even used new trans lines on the reassembly.

ford rules

Reaction score
sub'd for the do it yourself respect!!
Thanks! I couldn't afford to pay somebody to do it lol I can barely afford to do it myself haha
There is no max number you can have taken off the heads, you need to measure the head thickness. Ford's spec is minimum 3.74", whatever above that you are, is how much you can reasonably take off.

I had the same problem with my trans lines... ended up with a hairline crack in the radiator upon reassembly from removing and reinstalling trans lines... even used new trans lines on the reassembly.

Thanks for the spec, ya I'm a little worried about the radiator but it is what it is I geuss.

Just ordered all my gaskets and crap from ford even with my 25%didcout it was over $800 in gaskets, why must I have this hobby!?

Mdub707

Reaction score
LOL I feel ya.

I had to get a new radiator, don't think there were terribly expensive, somewhere between $200-$300, I can't remember.

ford rules

Reaction score
Haha could spend my money on other things I geuss, ya I think I saw bullet proof diesel had a all alum rad for like $350 seamed cheap to me.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.