H&S 6.4 single install and review

getstroked27

Reaction score
I have run many different tunes, and have always come back the the H&S calibration. i have a hybrid trans file from PPEI that kory revised like 15 times for me. it really woke the truck up. lock up is dependent on throttle position. i have never been happier. except for the fact that i need new injectors. LOL. everyone drives different though.

travisH3

Reaction score
Gearhead just sent me new engine file and wot it rips hard! I just think the trans file needs tweaked to be more like the H&s trans file and hold gears a tad longer. Larz is taking care of me so we will see what he comes up with. Been loving the truck though. Starting to get a lot of dirty looks from innocent by standers, they don't seem to love the whistle as much as I do lol. Currently in the process of looking for a house and one of the requirements is enough space from neighbors so my truck can idle with out someone complaining hahahaha.

On a side note, anyone got any ideas on what else I can do to add a little more power without tearing into the motor yet?

getstroked27

Reaction score
Gearhead just sent me new engine file and wot it rips hard! I just think the trans file needs tweaked to be more like the H&s trans file and hold gears a tad longer. Larz is taking care of me so we will see what he comes up with. Been loving the truck though. Starting to get a lot of dirty looks from innocent by standers, they don't seem to love the whistle as much as I do lol. Currently in the process of looking for a house and one of the requirements is enough space from neighbors so my truck can idle with out someone complaining hahahaha.

On a side note, anyone got any ideas on what else I can do to add a little more power without tearing into the motor yet?

If you want a little better spool up, snag a ported intake manifold, 6.0 manifolds and up pipes, and not sure if you already have a cold side IC pipe and intake elbow, thats another good cheap upgrade.

Black AOD

Reaction score

If you want a little better spool up, snag a ported intake manifold, 6.0 manifolds and up pipes, and not sure if you already have a cold side IC pipe and intake elbow, thats another good cheap upgrade.

:whs:

Or add nitrous rofl LOL

travisH3

Reaction score
finally got the truck to the track. crappy weather, monsoon of rain every day it seems have had the track closed.

first run
boosted 15psi launch, 4wd
-truck spun all 4 and had to let out and get back into.
= a crappy run of 14.8 at 102mph

second run
tried shooting for 5psi launch, ended up leaving at 1 or 2 psi lol
-lagged off the line then it lit and pulled hard
= 13.7 at 102mph

third run
left at 5psi and rolled into it
-truck dug good and beat a new c7 corvette BARELY!!!!! lol it was a close one
=13.1 at 102 mph

track officials were taking forever getting people on the track so i didnt get any more runs. fastest run with stock turbos and gearhead files with basically tune intake, exhaust and egr delete truck ran 12.8 at 105mph 1/4 mile. truck is completely the same now except with h&S single turbo kit

with the h&S turbo,
max EGT= 1710 *F
max Boost= 45psi

with a 8-10 psi launch the truck would be in the 12's again. this was a last minute thing. we were leaving the shop and the hdp crew all decided to run their trucks after work(we are 5 min from our local drag strip) so mine had fully loaded tool box, tailgate, spare and 60 psi in the tires. there was no prep so im pretty confident with a little weight reduction, lower tire pressure i may be able to get close to mid 12's lol.

skip

Reaction score
ive ran gearhead tunes since back in my 6.0 days. loved how he tuned. no smoke and loved his trans file. hated how my mini maxx shifted at set speeds. 4th tq locked at 45mph and 5th tq converter locked at 55mph. worked okay for empty but didnt like it back when i was towing. seemed to lug and couldnt get what i wanted out of the shift schedules. got gearheads trans files and his are dynamic where they dont just shift at set speeds and LOVED them. figured they could tune a single 6.4 but apparently not.

I just talked with dallas @ HSM and he got me loading up the H&S mcc single calibrations. finally got them loaded up and gonna give them a shot tomorrow. only reason i didnt run their tunes from the get go was because i was scared of having to go back to their old trans tuning. Im not knocking the turbo kit, which is why i was wanting to hold off on my initial thoughts until i get tuning and miles on the truck but people started asking questions so i had to kinda answer them lol. I didnt spend all this money to make it smoke, i promise you. if i wanted to blow this kinda money i could have bought me an ol 12v and oral all the coals i wanted.

Finally someone that gets it. I LOVE my truck, I Love the power, and I want to do more to it and I want to keep proving it to people it doesn't have to smoke to be fast!!!

Reaction score
Looks good Trav. Glad you finally got it out to the track. Those times don't seem too bad with the amount of weight and especially the amount of air you had in the tires. Ditch the weight and lower those tires down to 30 psi or so and it will hook hard and go. I can see some 15 psi launches out of it in the future.....

AirFishAutomotive

Reaction score
Looks good Trav. Glad you finally got it out to the track. Those times don't seem too bad with the amount of weight and especially the amount of air you had in the tires. Ditch the weight and lower those tires down to 30 psi or so and it will hook hard and go. I can see some 15 psi launches out of it in the future.....

those times suck
@dallas

to the op you definitely need tuning......

Reaction score
those times suck
@dallas

to the op you definitely need tuning......

Perhaps you need to go back to his post and read the details. He was only able to make three runs. One run he spun hard, one run he launched at next to zero boost and the last run he launched at only 5 psi. This was all with 60 psi of air in the tires and a whole load of tools in the truck. Not exactly the most ideal racing situation. I would say those times are pretty fair all things considered. Travis specifically said that he was not as ready as he wanted to be. I'm positive that, if he had gotten more runs, his times could have easily been in the mid to high 12's.

Good job Travis. Nothing taken away from you or your truck! Keep up the good work my friend.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Yeah the mph is low regardless of how it left the line.

I had the same issue when I first went to the track with my non-VGT 6.0 when I was used to the VGT charger.

I wouldn't give myself nearly enough time to build boost, I was too excited to race whatever was next to me and I would just bog and lag off the line and the truck would come alive late.

My mph was in the same 100-105 range when this was happening.

It's a learning curve to spooling these things up, especially going from a deleted stock charger 6.4 that makes boost at idle. the 6.4 also has that 200 rpm tighter converter as well.

If I had to guess I would say that's what's going on

HS-MotorsportsZane

Reaction score
I don't know what Travis is seeing, but our 6.4 runs 560-650 on flat ground at constant load with our single calibration......

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.