HID's out..LED's in

QtrHorse

Reaction score
Backwoodsboy

What housings are you installing these in? Curious to know if you have the same results as Strokin Tatsch. No extra distance and side illumination on highs.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Backwoodsboy

What housings are you installing these in? Curious to know if you have the same results as Strokin Tatsch. No extra distance and side illumination on highs.

These were installed in a set of clear housings on my OBS.
In my case the high-beams definitely project further down the road. I still haven't had a chance to aim to beams properly. So I will reserve final judgement for once I have gotten everything adjusted.
However I will say this. They are brighter, they throw light further, and the white light is easier on my eyes than halogens or HID's.

One thing I am curious about is whether the issue others have been having with their high-beams could be resolved by rotating the bulb 180* so that the bottom LED is illuminated as a low-beam.
As I mentioned in the previous post the ring on the bulb is removable. By orienting it so that the wire faces 'up' the low/high function would be reversed and may provide a more desirable light output when high-beams are desired.

QtrHorse

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing about rotating the LED "bulb". LED's are directional and I imagine these are your typical 120 degree beam angle and a halogen or HID bulb is 360 degrees of illumination. I'm assuming both LED's are not on when in the low beam setting?

These were installed in a set of clear housings on my OBS.
In my case the high-beams definitely project further down the road. I still haven't had a chance to aim to beams properly. So I will reserve final judgement for once I have gotten everything adjusted.
However I will say this. They are brighter, they throw light further, and the white light is easier on my eyes than halogens or HID's.

One thing I am curious about is whether the issue others have been having with their high-beams could be resolved by rotating the bulb 180* so that the bottom LED is illuminated as a low-beam.
As I mentioned in the previous post the ring on the bulb is removable. By orienting it so that the wire faces 'up' the low/high function would be reversed and may provide a more desirable light output when high-beams are desired.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
This can't be universally solved. In 05 headlights they are left and right not top and bottom. But 05 reflectors are also lateral reflectors, not up and down reflection.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I was wondering the same thing about rotating the LED "bulb". LED's are directional and I imagine these are your typical 120 degree beam angle and a halogen or HID bulb is 360 degrees of illumination. I'm assuming both LED's are not on when in the low beam setting?

Correct. One led bulb is illuminated as the low-beam, with both bulbs becoming illuminated as the high-beam.
If I get a chance this week I'll play around with mine and see if switching the position of the low beam bulb has a noticeable effect on usable light output.

powerstrokedkid87

Reaction score
Correct. One led bulb is illuminated as the low-beam, with both bulbs becoming illuminated as the high-beam.
If I get a chance this week I'll play around with mine and see if switching the position of the low beam bulb has a noticeable effect on usable light output.

keep me posted with this. Seems like so far the issues are the housings that are made for the aftermarket conversion front ends.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
keep me posted with this. Seems like so far the issues are the housings that are made for the aftermarket conversion front ends.

Will do Mark.
If any of your customers that have the '05 conversion done want to try reversing their bulbs you can either have them shoot me a pm or you can give them my cell #.
Removing that ring from the LED bulbs isn't hard but I was a little nervous at first as I didn't want to crack anything.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
Will do Mark.
If any of your customers that have the '05 conversion done want to try reversing their bulbs you can either have them shoot me a pm or you can give them my cell #.
Removing that ring from the LED bulbs isn't hard but I was a little nervous at first as I didn't want to crack anything.

What do you want me to do? My rings came off easy...

Pm me

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
What do you want me to do? My rings came off easy...

Pm me

Try orienting the ring 180* from how you took it off. Basically reverse the position that the bulb is installed in.
I realize it is going to be different with a lateral vs vertical reflector, but I'm curious to see whether having the low beam on the opposite side of the reflector will yield any better results.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
Try orienting the ring 180* from how you took it off. Basically reverse the position that the bulb is installed in.
I realize it is going to be different with a lateral vs vertical reflector, but I'm curious to see whether having the low beam on the opposite side of the reflector will yield any better results.

That would at least put both lights on the inside.

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
That would at least put both lights on the inside.

...or both on the outside depending on which way you go.

anybody have a picture handy of the 05 conversion reflectors? the concavity of the reflector on either side of the bulb is going to play a big part in how well it throws light down the road.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
...or both on the outside depending on which way you go.

anybody have a picture handy of the 05 conversion reflectors? the concavity of the reflector on either side of the bulb is going to play a big part in how well it throws light down the road.

Right or that. I'll have to decide which I like better.

yteve4ar.jpg

Reaction score

I tried that. I had to take my rings off and modify my locks to hold the LED bulbs in the housing. On my bulbs, the rings can only be installed one way on the bulb. Basically, it is impossible to turn the bulb 180* in the housing without modification.

Last edited:

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
I tried that. I had to take my rings off and modify my locks to hold the LED bulbs in the housing. On my bulbs, the rings can only be installed one way on the bulb. Basically, it is impossible to turn the bulb 180* in the housing without modification.

Gotcha.
On the 9007's there is a groove both sides of the bulb so that the ring can be installed in either direction. I just assumed this would be the case on all of the bulbs.

Reaction score
Gotcha.
On the 9007's there is a groove both sides of the bulb so that the ring can be installed in either direction. I just assumed this would be the case on all of the bulbs.

Mine are 9007s. I'll check them again when I get home, but I'm 99% sure the tongue and groove on one side is wider than the other side of the ring. That makes it so that the ring only goes on one way. I tried flipping it when I originally did the install.

PatriotHauling

Reaction score
The answer to everyone's question......

On 2005-2007 headlights, yes, you can rotate the retaining ring to give you outside/outside or inside/inside LEDs as apposed to Left/Left.

7yvy6a2y.jpg
jasepe6e.jpg

I chose to put the lows on the outside because when I walked around the truck, these were the reflectors that blinded me of to the side (when both inside and outside LEDs were on.)

bupu2ume.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online