If you had to do your build all over...,

Cycle_xpressions

Reaction score
What about regrets. Anything you guys did that just lightened the wallet and nothing else? I have liked the few mods I have done so far. I really didn't see any change with the hutch mod bu maybe that's considered more preventative.

Got the mbrp exhaust on a couple nights ago. I didn't see in the instructions which direction to face the air scoops so I thought it would be quiter facing forward. I have read from other since that is backwards. I did see that the manufacture said it can go either way so I will try and see if I get drone.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Got the mbrp exhaust on a couple nights ago. I didn't see in the instructions which direction to face the air scoops so I thought it would be quiter facing forward. I have read from other since that is backwards. I did see that the manufacture said it can go either way so I will try and see if I get drone.

I've had my mbrp both ways and I didn't notice much of a difference.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Who puts aftermarket exhaust on and a muffler? Unless you drive 1k miles a week a muffler is stupid. Even on a 4" exhaust. Unless you are are into the throttle hard a 4" is dead quiet. 5" can drone some but ive heard stock vehicles with worse exhaust drone.

5" and no muffler is it.

Daddyusmaximus

Reaction score
if I knew then what I know now, I would have gone with a stronger trans build.. I wasn't counting on the ALL STEEL three-horse slant with living qtrs. gosh DANG that thing is heavy.. then put a couple of draft horses in it.. you KNOW that thing is back there.. I may have re-geared the axles as well.. try to get the 2,000-2,200 rpm sweet spot these 7.3's have at right around 62-65 rather than 70mph

That's right where mine sits. She loves it there.

Hate to say it, but I wish I would have dropped in an old 12 valve.

TyCorr

Reaction score
ME.

I had a 5" put on and the turbo was so loud it sounded like a helicopter. Now I got a nice low rumble with some turbo while in the background.

What turbo? I have a 38r with a billet wheel and a nonebpv outlet and 5" exhaust and my truck is pretty much quiet at cruise. Its noisy if Im doing 55 in od lugging it and give it throttle. It drones. But its not bad. Ran 4" with everything else the same and no muffler. That was quiet everywhere other than wot.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
I would have started with a forged rod truck, not a PMR

I would have waited for a single cab

I would have not wasted the $ on a WW1

I would have not wasted $ on a AFE stage 2

I would have not wasted $ on 250/100s ( Looking for 600hp)

I would have not wasted my $ on a superchip ( sold for 100$:fustrate:)

I would have bought a t4 mount to begin with instead of trying to make a 38 worth a sheet

I would have went with a t4 mount before replacing my uppies 3 times.

I would have not wasted $ on a HPOX

I would not have wasted $ on a adrenaline ( I say this only because I was ignorant when i bought it, i didn't have a goal or a plan and ultimately its too small for what i want)

I would have made a plan and stuck to it.

First figure out a HP goal

Second figure out a $ amount you can afford to put into a truck fund each month

Third figure out what the price is for reaching your HP goal

Fourth cut the amount you can place into a truck fund a month in half

Fifth double the amount you figure you will spend reaching the HP goal ....

Last take a step back and look at it and think real hard if this is something you REALLY want to do.

If you decide yes, make a plan and stick to it.

ill leave you with this quote that I made up about 2 years into my build....

" The recipe for high HP is simple, Time + money"

Cycle_xpressions

Reaction score
I guess I am an old man, loud look at me exhaust passed. I have had an still have one with a loud "cool" exhaust. These days I am more happy with a happy wife and kid while towing a 5er.

These is no exhaust in the world that can be louder than a bitching wife when you fire up the truck a 5 am and wake the kid.

Is one of those regrets a high pressure oil cross over?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I guess I am an old man, loud look at me exhaust passed. I have had an still have one with a loud "cool" exhaust. These days I am more happy with a happy wife and kid while towing a 5er.

These is no exhaust in the world that can be louder than a bitching wife when you fire up the truck a 5 am and wake the kid.

Is one of those regrets a high pressure oil cross over?

Right. I explained that its not loud. If you are doing anything at wot in your driveway at 5am you deserve the reaction.

I just dont see the point. Ive ran at least five aftermarket exhausts on just my one truck. Three 4" and two 5". The injector clatter is louder than EVERY other aftermarket part Ive found. Even the stock 38r wheel is only a match for the heui solenoids from about 3-8psi.

Im not taking contention with your choices but if some guy is reading this and wants a 5" exhaust sans muffler to occasionally hear his exhaust , if the only input there is is the " 5" is too loud with out a muffler" I want a counterpoint. Thats all.

Ive ran them all, both ways and either 5" straight or 4" mufflered.

Jomax

Reaction score
How do you know thats what hes got. It just says "ported housing" in his signature. That could mean anything.

I understand though. And there were the vantard guys too that were telling everyone that a vanturbo with a 66mm wheel was "better" than a 38r. But the turbo builders I talked to laughed when I laid the comparison in front of them. Im convinced a 38r is pretty hard to beat. Trumped only by a 68mm anything. But thats possible too!

Anyway Jomax has a sweet setup, thats for darn sure.

Thanks Ty, the turbo is bone stock other Than the ported housing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
take it out of od and I bet it wont get above 1000° in tgat scenario.

It's outta OD. The weather in AZ makes it hard to keep EGT'S in check. Whenever I'm up north or in the eastern states, it's crazy how the egts stay low.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
truer words have never been spoken....DONT ASK ME HOW I KNOW!

Thats what Im scared of with them. I want one. My plan when looking was to find a sclb or cclb. I found an xlt sclb with 28k on it for 26k $. No im not joking. I went and looked at it and someone smoked in it. Alot! It was so bad I passed even at that price. I drove it and it wasnt bad stock but it needed more. It definitely did NOT run as well as a 08+ or 11+ dmax.

So then I thought, "a tuner, exhaust, and intake would be good." Then I started pondering a 72mm atmosphere. I caught myself and thought why the hell would you do all that? It would ruin the trucks long term reliability.

silverpsd_06

Reaction score
Vanderchevy has one for sale with 100k on it for like 16k it's a base model single cab long bed 4x4 just thought I'd throw that out there Tyler

TyCorr

Reaction score
Vanderchevy has one for sale with 100k on it for like 16k it's a base model single cab long bed 4x4 just thought I'd throw that out there Tyler

Thank you. I have to get a sc bare minimum. Got three kids and a wife. I currently have a car I drive also.

sootie

Reaction score
Thats what Im scared of with them. I want one. My plan when looking was to find a sclb or cclb. I found an xlt sclb with 28k on it for 26k $. No im not joking. I went and looked at it and someone smoked in it. Alot! It was so bad I passed even at that price. I drove it and it wasnt bad stock but it needed more. It definitely did NOT run as well as a 08+ or 11+ dmax.

So then I thought, "a tuner, exhaust, and intake would be good." Then I started pondering a 72mm atmosphere. I caught myself and thought why the hell would you do all that? It would ruin the trucks long term reliability.

i will correct you here...the issues that are so prone to happening to 6.4's are not typically modification related. in fact-6.4s are typically more reliable once deleted.

broken rocker arms,
failed lifters,
grenading hpfp,
hung injectors,
cracked pistons,
cracked egr coolers,
leaky radiators.

the catch is....once you start modifying a 6.4-everything else seems slow.

TyCorr

Reaction score
i will correct you here...the issues that are so prone to happening to 6.4's are not typically modification related. in fact-6.4s are typically more reliable once deleted.

broken rocker arms,
failed lifters,
grenading hpfp,
hung injectors,
cracked pistons,
cracked egr coolers,
leaky radiators.

the catch is....once you start modifying a 6.4-everything else seems slow.

I bet the parts I listed would probably allow me to ruin a truck pretty easily. LOL

Trans..

Obsledpuller

Reaction score
The only regret I have is not starting with a plan and sticking to it. This is sound advice trust me. I'm now so much farther into my truck than I ever imagined. If I knew then what I know now I would have spent a lot less money. I went crazy with my OBS bc I wanted to go faster. Now I bought a new truck to DD. my OBS is by no means a DD any longer.

Latest posts

Members online