Powerstroked08 build

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Any possibility you have a sensor issue?

For the boost issue? I don't know for sure to be completly honest. I would think not since it was running good before the turbo/intake/wastegate install, but hey you never know. I'm going to play with some tuning some and thne I'm really thinking about dumping to the atmo like Dillon did. It seemed to help his truck out.

B585Ford

Reaction score
For the boost issue? I don't know for sure to be completly honest. I would think not since it was running good before the turbo/intake/wastegate install, but hey you never know. I'm going to play with some tuning some and thne I'm really thinking about dumping to the atmo like Dillon did. It seemed to help his truck out.

I was thinking if your EBP sensor (in the tube) got damaged, not plugged in all the way, etc. then it would be throwing your duty cycle. This would explain the low boost (i.e. your drive pressure isn't as high as you think it is). This is just a shot in the dark, but I believe I read about similar issues before.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
A little update. So I'm still low on boost. I have played with about a half dozen tunes trying to see if that would help with the lask of boost. And it didn't help peak boost. Now its not lazy by any means, it lights the chargers like stockers. So now Elite is helping me to get this thing producing more boost. I shot them an email shortly after the build and Tadd was more than happy to help. So now were playing with some stuff and may end up changing up the gate setup if it still doesn't respond the way we want. I really have to give Nathannial a huge thank you for working with me and doing everything he's been doing for my truck. So I hope we can get it to respond the way we want it to:evil! And I also have added a few new parts, correction I have bought a few new parts!LOL My truck decided to develop the leaky radiator syndrom. So with a little research and a phone call I decided to get an Alradco radiator. And along the way of reading on PSA I also "HAD TO BUY" the Alradco intercooler. And this continued reading also lead me to hit up Brenton at Side Action Diesel and get his fuel bowl delete kit! Once I get the radiatoe and intercooler I will be putting them on. But I will be waiting to put the fuel bowl delete on untill I get a fuelab lpfp. A big thank you to everyone who has helped me out on this build so far. And thanks PSA my bank account HATES meLOL!

Last edited:

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Oh and since I plan on pulling more in the coming year i wanted to plan on building my truck to be reliable. So I also bought a dana 80 with a LPW cap load bolt cover, detroit locker, and yukon axles. Once again thanks to PSA haha

B585Ford

Reaction score
A little update. So I'm still low on boost. I have played with about a half dozen tunes trying to see if that would help with the lask of boost. And it didn't help peak boost. Now its not lazy by any means, it lights the chargers like stockers. So now Elite is helping me to get this thing producing more boost. I shot them an email shortly after the build and Tadd was more than happy to help. So now were playing with some stuff and may end up changing up the gate setup if it still doesn't respond the way we want. I really have to give Nathannial a huge thank you for working with me and doing everything he's been doing for my truck. So I hope we can get it to respond the way we want it to:evil! And I also have added a few new parts, correction I have bought a few new parts!LOL My truck decided to develop the leaky radiator syndrom. So with a little research and a phone call I decided to get an Alradco radiator. And along the way of reading on PSA I also "HAD TO BUY" the Alradco intercooler. And this continued reading also lead me to hit up Brenton at Side Action Diesel and get his fuel bowl delete kit! Once I get the radiatoe and intercooler I will be putting them on. But I will be waiting to put the fuel bowl delete on untill I get a fuelab lpfp. A big thank you to everyone who has helped me out on this build so far. And thanks PSA my bank account HATES meLOL!

Thanks for the update. I have been wondering about this build for quite a while. I assume if you are going to change the gate setup you will dump to the atmo if you don't get it reacting the way you want. What is your gate set at (obviously approximately)? How hard do you have to push it to get it to open. With the tuning, have you mainly been trying to build more EBP and adjust the vanes? Being the rare crowd that drive hand shakers, spool up is critical and since you are spinning a 76 (even a BB 76), I do think it is impressive that you can spool as quick as stock. I think that tells you a lot in terms of this setup's potential even with stock fuel since you have a sh#tload of potential to move a lot more air. Finally, what does Tadd or Nathaniel think would be a good goal shoot for in terms of boost. I am sure, especially since these are not drop-ins, that 40 PSI on this setup is going to flow more air/make more power than 40 PSI of stock turbos, but I have never heard a reasonable number as to what the difference is.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Well I just changed the turbine housing to a smaller ar to see if it helped. It did light the 76 quicker but boost still levels off about the same. So I'm going to now dump the gate to the 76 and try driving it harder. I did have my gate set with 21# of springs in it dumping to the downpipe with regulated boost to the top. Now as far as the tuning goes I was just messing with minimum duty cycle. I first bumped it up from 7% to 10% then again to 15%. That really didn't help out a lot but it did some. Then I made a few different desired ebp tables. I ended up making a very agressive one and the truck liked it which I was still low on boost (38-40psi). And for what I'm shooting for is in the 50's. But I really don't know what elite wants out of it. I would love to see the 76 making around 30psi and total of 50 or so.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
I would like to dump to the 76 and make an even more agressive bp table to light the 59 faster but then allow the gate to open sooner to start driving the 76 way sooner. I just think this will really make this come alive. But I could be very wrong.:shrug:

B585Ford

Reaction score
You know I am no expert on these matters but I got to thinking about this a little and since it is free to try with MCC, maybe this would help before you re-route the gate...Since these are not drop ins, I am not sure how the exhaust air is routed, but I thought I remember someone saying the up pipes feed all exhaust air to the HP turbo first and then all of that goes on to feed the LP turbo. If that is case, you might want keep your aggressive program the same down low to aid in spool up, but around 2250 RPM or so cut the vanes back sooner. In other words, get them to 5% shortly after hitting that RPM at WOT. In theory, this may help you keep the air velocity up that is coming to the LP turbo to drive it harder. Again, I may be way off on this, but if that is how the plumbing is setup, it might be worth a try. Oh yeah, based on my past experiences with MCC, you might have to actually lower the EBP tables in the same RPM ranges where you are dropping the vanes to get the vanes to go to their desired position. I base that last thought on the fact that when I first tried to do an exhaust brake program, when I just adjusted the vane tables without adjusting the EBP tables, it didn't do anything....but if I adjusted the EBP tables without messing with the vane tables, the exhaust brake works. That make me think the computer is basically following the EBP tables and those tables over-ride the vane tables. I had also experimented with trying to reduce my EBP tables to lower the EBP at WOT and found that lowering the EBP tables didn't do anything at WOT. I assume that was because at full fuel, my setup couldn't keep the EBPs in check without cutting the PW which the computer did not do on its own (it still followed the PW tables even though the EBPs were outside their desired.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
You know I am no expert on these matters but I got to thinking about this a little and since it is free to try with MCC, maybe this would help before you re-route the gate...Since these are not drop ins, I am not sure how the exhaust air is routed, but I thought I remember someone saying the up pipes feed all exhaust air to the HP turbo first and then all of that goes on to feed the LP turbo. If that is case, you might want keep your aggressive program the same down low to aid in spool up, but around 2250 RPM or so cut the vanes back sooner. In other words, get them to 5% shortly after hitting that RPM at WOT. In theory, this may help you keep the air velocity up that is coming to the LP turbo to drive it harder. Again, I may be way off on this, but if that is how the plumbing is setup, it might be worth a try. Oh yeah, based on my past experiences with MCC, you might have to actually lower the EBP tables in the same RPM ranges where you are dropping the vanes to get the vanes to go to their desired position. I base that last thought on the fact that when I first tried to do an exhaust brake program, when I just adjusted the vane tables without adjusting the EBP tables, it didn't do anything....but if I adjusted the EBP tables without messing with the vane tables, the exhaust brake works. That make me think the computer is basically following the EBP tables and those tables over-ride the vane tables. I had also experimented with trying to reduce my EBP tables to lower the EBP at WOT and found that lowering the EBP tables didn't do anything at WOT. I assume that was because at full fuel, my setup couldn't keep the EBPs in check without cutting the PW which the computer did not do on its own (it still followed the PW tables even though the EBPs were outside their desired.

I have played with a lot of the desired ebp tables. In my experiences the computer seems to follow the desired tables and uses the vane position tables as a back up reference once the desired can't be achieved. But I'm no expert either! And the exhaust does route the same as it does with stock chargers(hp-lp-down pipe). So by me making a higher ebp table it causes the hp charger to spool faster while developing more drive pressure for the lp charger. With that it "should" drive the lp harder(in theoryLOL). So with keeping a very agressive ebp file with it dumping the extra exhaust energy to the lp charger it should drive it harder than I was able to before(I think). Even with the hp having a modded turbine I can still get the ebp in the mid 70's in the high rpms. Now with the gate dumping off that excess say 10 psi of bp to the lp it should really help it to come alive!

B585Ford

Reaction score
I have played with a lot of the desired ebp tables. In my experiences the computer seems to follow the desired tables and uses the vane position tables as a back up reference once the desired can't be achieved. But I'm no expert either! And the exhaust does route the same as it does with stock chargers(hp-lp-down pipe). So by me making a higher ebp table it causes the hp charger to spool faster while developing more drive pressure for the lp charger. With that it "should" drive the lp harder(in theoryLOL). So with keeping a very agressive ebp file with it dumping the extra exhaust energy to the lp charger it should drive it harder than I was able to before(I think). Even with the hp having a modded turbine I can still get the ebp in the mid 70's in the high rpms. Now with the gate dumping off that excess say 10 psi of bp to the lp it should really help it to come alive!

First, it is good to verify that we have both seen the same thing...the computer follows the EBP tables. Second, I would definitely get raising EBP down low for spool up. My thoughts were when you get to the RPM/boost ranges where you want the atmo to take over, lowering the desired EBP table should get the vanes close to 5% and your truck will continue to make exhaust gases to create EBP the same (no matter what the desired EBP is) so hopefully faster flowing air would get to the LP turbo helping to drive it. Of course, this goes against conventional wisdom so I am probably wrong. I think I will try that on my setup when I get my truck just to see what it does.

B585Ford

Reaction score

powerstroked08

Reaction score
That thing is WICKED!!!! F#ck the HP, just the sound of that turbo makes it worth it!!!!

LOLThanks. I think your 76 well be putting down better power than mine. At least until I get mine figured out maybe it just wants more fuel haha. Did you ever get a temp gage on your transmission?

Last edited:

B585Ford

Reaction score
LOLThanks. I think your 76 well be putting down better power than mine. At least until I get mine figured out maybe it just wants more fuel haha. Did you ever get a temp gage on your transmission?

No, the HPFP issue I was having caused me to forget about it. I will probably try to do that some time but the tranny hasn't had any issues and I have grossed 30k+ for thousands of miles by now so that is comforting.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Ok so my radiator showed up the other day! So after doing some hauling this morning I had to get home and dive into it. It took about 4 hours with people coming by and wanting to keep me from getting anything done. Anyhow the Alradco radiator fit 100% like stock and is a VERY well built unit, and I would reccomend it to anybody who needs one or just wants to upgrade from the stock junk. I will report back with some more info and results soon.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Heres some pictures!
20140409_184320.jpg

20140409_184330.jpg

20140409_184404.jpg

20140409_184415.jpg

20140409_184421.jpg

TXlineman83

Reaction score
Beautiful. Wish I had bought one. Had I known my build would have pressed into this late of the month it would own one too.

"Opportunity is often overlooked because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work"

Thomas Edison.

Latest posts

Members online