Progress report on my build

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I figure spring 2013 to be honest. Hope the current engine lasts that long.

Maybe there is something i dont know or maybe this is a dumb question, but why so long? Are you out of town or are you having to wait on parts?

What kind of power are you running on the current engine, that wouldnt be cool if it went down before the other was ready

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Good call on the manifold. You now have a superior product!!

White_monster

Reaction score
Maybe there is something i dont know or maybe this is a dumb question, but why so long? Are you out of town or are you having to wait on parts?

What kind of power are you running on the current engine, that wouldnt be cool if it went down before the other was ready

Delays on parts and finding time is tough. I work a lot to so that affects things too. Was running close to the 700hp mark but since sold some parts and I'm back to sub 600. Engines had a tough life and I don't take great care of it. Holding it wide open at 1760 degrees egt is hard on things. If it blows up I'll have to sort something out.

Mike I've heard that same statement from every side of the fence, I'll be the judge on what's superior and what's not.

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I know one is definitely visually superior to the other.

Interested to hear your thoughts Shane.

Last edited:

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
Just cleaned this one up. Out of respect to Shane and his thread let's stay on track please.

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
Since my post got deleted I'll ask again. What all changes have you made to this build? I know now your saying sub 600?

White_monster

Reaction score
The build hasn't changed much. My current engine in the truck has been put back to stock that's all. The build list for my actual build is as follows thou.

Build List

6.4 Powerstroke Engine

Bullnosed crankshaft
H-11 main studs
Ford bearings, gaskets, seals
Carrillo forged rods
Ford STD pistons with lip removed and hard coat anodized, comp ratio 16.5:1 from 17.2
Custom Age 625 head studs
Elite stage 2 heads - 2mm bigger valves, 160lb springs, chromoly locks and retainers
RCD aluminum oil pan
Elite 150hp and 110hp nozzles
Elite twin K16 pump kit
Elite stage 2 lpfs
Brand new stock hpfp in valley
Colt Cams camshaft
Elite ported fuel rails
Ported and ceramic coated 6.0 manifolds
Elite custom up pipes with wastegates off both banks - ceramic coated
Elite Max Power turbos - polished housings and ceramic coated exhaust side using a 1.28 housing as well
CFM intake elbow
Elite Twin Tube IC pipe designed to clear twin pumps
BD Diesel blow off valve on hot side pipe
3 Tial MV/R wastegates - 2 from before the hp turbo to down pipe and 1 from before the big turbo to the downpipe
Elite ported intake manifold
Elite high flow intake kit and battery relocation
Elite intake piping - all powder coated
Spearco intercooler
Dieselsite IC boots or Elite's boots
AMS1000 digital boost controller for main gates and regulator for 3rd gate
Tuning unknown, thus far Eric on SCT or someone on my old spartan
Custom airbox by Elite Diesel
Elite Diesel stage 2 pushrods

5R110 Transmission

Elite billet flex plate
NADP trans with TCS billet shafts, hubs, drums, and planetary's
Suncoast HD converter with lowest stall option, 2500 stall
3.55 gears
Detroit locker rear, ARB front

Suspension

RCD 4 link front suspension arms
OUO weld on long gusset traction bars
Shocks are unknown

Brakes

SSBC front calipers
EBC slotted rotors

That's the build as of today and it shouldn't change much.

Last edited:

mike@haller's

Reaction score
Should run pretty good when its all together. I like that your addressing the brakes. Trying to get a 900hp+ 8500lb truck stopped from anything over 100mph can be a little hair raising.

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
The build hasn't changed much. My current engine in the truck has been put back to stock that's all. The build list for my actual build is as follows thou.

Build List

6.4 Powerstroke Engine

Bullnosed crankshaft
H-11 main studs
Ford bearings, gaskets, seals
Carrillo forged rods
Ford STD pistons with lip removed and hard coat anodized, comp ratio 16.5:1 from 17.2
Custom Age 625 head studs
Elite stage 2 heads - 2mm bigger valves, 160lb springs, chromoly locks and retainers
RCD aluminum oil pan
Elite 150hp and 110hp nozzles
Elite twin K16 pump kit
Elite stage 2 lpfs
Brand new stock hpfp in valley
Colt Cams camshaft
Elite ported fuel rails
Ported and ceramic coated 6.0 manifolds
Elite custom up pipes with wastegates off both banks - ceramic coated
Elite Max Power turbos - polished housings and ceramic coated exhaust side using a 1.28 housing as well
CFM intake elbow
Elite Twin Tube IC pipe designed to clear twin pumps
BD Diesel blow off valve on hot side pipe
3 Tial MV/R wastegates - 2 from before the hp turbo to down pipe and 1 from before the big turbo to the downpipe
Elite ported intake manifold
Elite high flow intake kit and battery relocation
Elite intake piping - all powder coated
Spearco intercooler
Dieselsite IC boots or Elite's boots
AMS1000 digital boost controller for main gates and regulator for 3rd gate
Tuning unknown, thus far Eric on SCT or someone on my old spartan
Custom airbox by Elite Diesel
Elite Diesel stage 2 pushrods

5R110 Transmission

Elite billet flex plate
NADP trans with TCS billet shafts, hubs, drums, and planetary's
Suncoast HD converter with lowest stall option, 2500 stall
3.55 gears
Detroit locker rear, ARB front

Suspension

RCD 4 link front suspension arms
OUO weld on long gusset traction bars
Shocks are unknown

Brakes

SSBC front calipers
EBC slotted rotors

That's the build as of today and it shouldn't change much.

So you reused the block and the timing chain?:poke: I have to say that would be the most comprehensive engine build I know of on a 6.4L. That should be a hell of a truck right there.:rockon:

madman1234509

Reaction score
Wouldnt you want the waste gates from the up pipes to gate around the high pressure turbo to spool the low pressure turbo, instead of to the down pipe.. Seems like a lot of energy wasted there.

White_monster

Reaction score
So you reused the block and the timing chain?:poke: I have to say that would be the most comprehensive engine build I know of on a 6.4L. That should be a hell of a truck right there.:rockon:

No timing chain in these engines just gears. Only stock pieces are crank and block and the crank has been polished and tweaked as much as can be done without throwing the balance off. Blocks just been machined to perfection, right from being decked, freshly honed since the block had less than 12,000miles on it, and line bored for the main. I'm also going to look at the lifters again, possible I'll replace them as well.

Wouldnt you want the waste gates from the up pipes to gate around the high pressure turbo to spool the low pressure turbo, instead of to the down pipe.. Seems like a lot of energy wasted there.

It is wasted energy but it's what needs to happen. 80psi into the hp turbo and about 35psi into the lp should be fine but I'll know more once it's built and tuned. The run from hp to lp turbo is 3" of cast so no room for piping. Spool is not an issue thou.

Black_Lightning91

Reaction score
I also would think two from uppipes to before LP then another From before the LP to Downpipe. The two early stages could be set to 80psi if desired or even lower cause I would think that to be pushing a turbo's map. Then the second stage set to 35psi or whatever to keep that charger happily in the map. Also would think that would give the most adjustability to tune the turbos to where you want then airflow wise. Can you please explain where I am wrong in my thinking. Just trying to learn not question or bash your setup. This is just how I was understanding things to work lol. I would love to have your setup it is very meticulous and should last a lifetime.

Edit: Crap misread what you posted and after looking at the turbos I see what your saying.

Last edited:

White_monster

Reaction score
Here's the turbos.

IMG_0066.jpg

As you can see there's no room to dump between if I use that one port that's between stages to go around the lp turbo. It's also a tighter housing than most. Those numbers I gave were just an example and were exhaust pressure not boost.

Members online

No members online now.