Resurgence of a F100

6speedsd

Reaction score
Figured out what was making so much noise when I hit the brakes. This is how it looked when I pulled the rear drum

668db4ec6f535d83d641c6f35b5b4266.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Final? Eh, time will tell.

Just spent the past 2 hours doing an overhaul of the rear drum brakes. New shoes, full hardware, wheel cylinders, adjusters, ect. Figured why not start brand new since one side grenaded itself for the most part. Only thing I didn't change was the drum itself. Didn't take me long to remember why I ***'n hate drum brakes. Those springs can kiss my fat white hind end. Only cost me 3 knuckles in the whole process. But alas, it's all done and back together. I'll run up and down the road in the morning before church and make sure it's good....it's late here and I don't want to fire up that loud sumbich tonight. The little lady wants to take it to church, so that's why I tackled it tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow afternoon.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6speedsd

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, first tank got just over 10mpg! That was majority running 65-70 down the interstate. She gets thirsty turning 2600-2700 rpms while cruising. Still it's better than I expected.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Final? Eh, time will tell.

Just spent the past 2 hours doing an overhaul of the rear drum brakes. New shoes, full hardware, wheel cylinders, adjusters, ect. Figured why not start brand new since one side grenaded itself for the most part. Only thing I didn't change was the drum itself. Didn't take me long to remember why I ***'n hate drum brakes. Those springs can kiss my fat white hind end. Only cost me 3 knuckles in the whole process. But alas, it's all done and back together. I'll run up and down the road in the morning before church and make sure it's good....it's late here and I don't want to fire up that loud sumbich tonight. The little lady wants to take it to church, so that's why I tackled it tonight instead of waiting until tomorrow afternoon.

yeah, drum brakes suck ass!! that is cool the lil lady wants to take it to church though!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, first tank got just over 10mpg! That was majority running 65-70 down the interstate. She gets thirsty turning 2600-2700 rpms while cruising. Still it's better than I expected.

lol.. that is pretty good mileage for that rpm..

put a spacer plate between the carb and intake.. creates a lil more velocity and a lil more time for the air and fuel to mix before it hits the cylinders.. if you want more atomization, get a chunk of aluminum screen door mesh and lay it between the carb and intake too.. that will help atomize the fuel better.. also another thing to decrease rpm is run a taller tire in the rear...

6speedsd

Reaction score
If it'll get 10 turning that rpm, I can live with it. Not like this is a DD that I'll be filling up every other day. Mentioning that it got 10 wasn't really a complaint...just a surprise it got that. I was expecting 7-8 honestly. Would probably do a little better if I didn't keep winding it out. LOL

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If it'll get 10 turning that rpm, I can live with it. Not like this is a DD that I'll be filling up every other day. Mentioning that it got 10 wasn't really a complaint...just a surprise it got that. I was expecting 7-8 honestly. Would probably do a little better if I didn't keep winding it out. LOL

I didnt take it as a complaint bud.. I agree that it's a good mpg at that rpm.. only made suggestions that might help it more.. I have seen what I suggested work well on a couple different carbureted gassers.. like almost 18mpg on a 78 4x4 f250 highboy with a standard trans. he swapped to a lil taller tire and added that mesh screen door thing and it did very well..

6speedsd

Reaction score
Ordered a set of door mirrors today. Rectangular style, sort of like what came on it originally. Not the style with the huge arm. Should be here in a couple days, so I can finally get rid of those dumb little round useless things on there now.

I can't decide if I want to stick with the short Magnaflow mufflers I have on it now, or change to a chambered style. I know everyone runs chambered these days, but there is just something about the sound a cammed small block makes through them.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Anybody happen to have a gauge surround laying around they'd want to part ways with? The plastic trim that goes around the gauges/radio/climate control. Dude before me tried to do something with the one on the truck....no idea what really. But he effed it all up. Almost like he tried to paint it with a thick enamel, then tried to remove it afterwards. It's in pretty nasty shape, and I can't get it cleaned up enough to where I'm willing to put it back on the truck. I can buy a new one for like $120, but figured I'd ask before going that route.

And the covers for the seat belt retractors....goes up behind your head to cover the retractor. They are missing on mine, and seem to be hard to come by locally.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Drove it to work again today. Another trouble free 86 miles by the time I got back home. Fuel gauge had dropped to 1/4 tank, so I stopped and topped it off. Only took 6.5 gal to fill it back up, which put that tank at almost 13.5mpg. And most of those miles were spent at 2600-2700rpm....with a few hefty runs mixed in there of course.

I need to drop the tank and get a new sending unit so the gauge will work right again.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ordered a set of door mirrors today. Rectangular style, sort of like what came on it originally. Not the style with the huge arm. Should be here in a couple days, so I can finally get rid of those dumb little round useless things on there now.

I can't decide if I want to stick with the short Magnaflow mufflers I have on it now, or change to a chambered style. I know everyone runs chambered these days, but there is just something about the sound a cammed small block makes through them.

magnaflows sound ok.. flowmasters on the other hand sound great!!! get a set of 40 series to make it sound good. if you want it to sound badass, get the super 44 series.. might be loud with the 44s on it though.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Drove it to work again today. Another trouble free 86 miles by the time I got back home. Fuel gauge had dropped to 1/4 tank, so I stopped and topped it off. Only took 6.5 gal to fill it back up, which put that tank at almost 13.5mpg. And most of those miles were spent at 2600-2700rpm....with a few hefty runs mixed in there of course.

I need to drop the tank and get a new sending unit so the gauge will work right again.

good deal on the trouble free miles..

yeah , I would get a new sender asap..

6speedsd

Reaction score
magnaflows sound ok.. flowmasters on the other hand sound great!!! get a set of 40 series to make it sound good. if you want it to sound badass, get the super 44 series.. might be loud with the 44s on it though.

Everybody and their brother has flows around here. That's part of the reason I used the Magnaflow...that and I already had them. Plus, a 40 series is up to what...like $80 per now! I'm not paying $80 for a plain ass 40 series. Considering the Thrush chambered. Lots of positive reviews.

Then again I may just leave it be for a while.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Everybody and their brother has flows around here. That's part of the reason I used the Magnaflow...that and I already had them. Plus, a 40 series is up to what...like $80 per now! I'm not paying $80 for a plain ass 40 series. Considering the Thrush chambered. Lots of positive reviews.

Then again I may just leave it be for a while.

oh ok.. I just love the sound of those 44s though.. lol.. I get what you are saying.. id say leave it for now too.

6speedsd

Reaction score
It's one of those situations where you have to decide which sound you want more. The way it is now, at about 2000rpm and up, it sounds badass. But at idle it's just blah. I love that cammed lope at idle through a chambered muffler like the 40 series. You don't get that sound with Magnaflow. But you also don't get the in cab drone like you would with a chambered....especially with my tailpipes coming out in front of the rear tire.

6speedsd

Reaction score
Tell me if this is normal....

On a hard acceleration, I get feedback through the accelerator pedal when it shifts. Not alot, but you can definitely feel it sort of "surge" in the pedal, which I'm assuming is coming back through the kick down lever. Is that normal of a C4, or a sign of some issue I don't know about?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.