The Singled Out Build

TyCorr

Reaction score
Not to distract from the jovial nature of this thread but is stock rods a good idea on a build. In other words is it worth the 1500 bucks difference to skip billet or forged alloy rods?

madman1234509

Reaction score
I've said it quite a few times, but I wouldn't tear a bottom end apart to put stock rods back in. The added cost of aftermarket is just another dime in the bucket at that point.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Wait.. What rods are 1500?

The difference part of the statement is what has you flabbered. Stock rods and billets are about 1500 difference.

I cant see going this far and skipping that. Understandable for cost but I dont think I could not wonder after the fact.

johnp115

Reaction score
So a guy running stock chargers or an upgraded lp and slightly upgraded fuel doesnt "need" the billet rods?

Hard to say who needs them and who doesn't, some people have bent them on tune only and some people are on stock rods and pushing 900-1000hp. So it's really just more peice of mind and room to grow in the future.

Id do billet rods but it's also a fact that he dished out 30k or whatever for a truck with a caked motor and you don't buy a truck thinking you'll have to re do the motor before you drive it. So not spending the extra on rods makes sense too.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
So a guy running stock chargers or an upgraded lp and slightly upgraded fuel doesnt "need" the billet rods?

Nope. Switching to a single really helps the bottom end stay alive too. Power at low rpms is really hard on rods.

Mattf1987

Reaction score
I'm running stock fuel and a 59/71 so my hp should be around 650 maybe. At that point I feel safe with stock rods. My cost on stock rods was 512$ that is a drastically difference than 3200 for others. I know first hand 2 people running 800+ or minus a few that are and have been on stock rods for some time. It all comes down to tuning in my opinion

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online