Thinking single turbo, got a few questions

Reaction score
The 66 is a 6 blade billet wheel, balanced with a 360 thrust. We run the 74 turbine with a .91 housing. The 66 on stock fuel will be around 600-625 depending on all the other mods your individual truck has. Giving that most stock turbo trucks on a reasonable dyno only make 525-550. If you have added fuel 700 hp is attainable with the billet 66 and custom tunes.

Stroked777

Reaction score
The 66 is a 6 blade billet wheel, balanced with a 360 thrust. We run the 74 turbine with a .91 housing. The 66 on stock fuel will be around 600-625 depending on all the other mods your individual truck has. Giving that most stock turbo trucks on a reasonable dyno only make 525-550. If you have added fuel 700 hp is attainable with the billet 66 and custom tunes.

Is a WG or a BOV needed for your set up?

simonton6.4

Reaction score

good info thanks morgan do you think that a 371 is gonna be to big for stock fuel aside from a low pressure i ask because of being able to add a little more fuel later compared to the 366. (im at basically sea leavel)

johnp115

Reaction score
I 66on stock fuel doing 600-625 means it'd be a change done only for sound in my opinion. Because my trap and weight puts me at 615hp with a lp batmowheel

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I like the idea of a single turbo, even if it makes the exact same power as my current stock appearing compound set up, because of a few different reasons. The single makes getting to the HPFP, oil cooler and the valley in general a lot easier due to being a lot less complicated to get the turbo/pedestal on and off the truck... especially with having such easy access to the up pipe bolts. It drops the back pressure dramatically. In the event of a turbo failure, a billet s366 cost approx. $1200?.. or if your running say a s371, that costs $1600. On the flip side, a set of factory compounds is going to cost atleast $2500, never mind if you have upgraded aftermarket stock appearing turbos that are much more expensive than that. Maybe I'm different, but I look heavily at the serviceability side of everything and that's always a major factor in what I choose.

Might you loose a little bit of spool and instant torque, yes... But with the right tuning it wont be very different. I'm also by no means trying to start a pissing match here, just bringing up some points that may have been over looked by others when deciding on this option.

Reaction score
good info thanks morgan do you think that a 371 is gonna be to big for stock fuel aside from a low pressure i ask because of being able to add a little more fuel later compared to the 366. (im at basically sea leavel)

S366 billet is good for quite a bit of power. Honestly if you want more than 7-750 you need to step up to a garret or a s400 based charger.

I 66on stock fuel doing 600-625 means it'd be a change done only for sound in my opinion. Because my trap and weight puts me at 615hp with a lp batmowheel

That's great but on the dyno we use your stock truck with a batmowheel would be 525-550 hp depending on what tune and other mods. A cast 66 is a minimum 50hp (or more depending on mods) over stock chargers. It's been proven long time ago.

A cast 66 will clean up every ounce of fuel a stock k16 can put out. Any larger turbo will spool worse and not make much more power. Billet 66 is top dog on stock fuel as it spools better than the cast version.

johnp115

Reaction score
S366 billet is good for quite a bit of power. Honestly if you want more than 7-750 you need to step up to a garret or a s400 based charger.

That's great but on the dyno we use your stock truck with a batmowheel would be 525-550 hp depending on what tune and other mods. A cast 66 is a minimum 50hp (or more depending on mods) over stock chargers. It's been proven long time ago.

A cast 66 will clean up every ounce of fuel a stock k16 can put out. Any larger turbo will spool worse and not make much more power. Billet 66 is top dog on stock fuel as it spools better than the cast version.

Gotcha, I'm just really tearing this topic apart right now because I'm possibly buying a single cast 366 today or tomorrow.

Is there a way to send a cast 66 in and have it upgraded? Is it just like doing a drop in wheel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Not being a dick but numbers are just numbers. Unless you have back to back info on the same truck you can't compare them. We had a truck do 630 on stock fuel with just a batmo in the LP. It was on a non loaded dyno com. Mid 5xx on a loaded superflow. So your trick that makes 615 may show 665 with a good single setup. The next time you go somewhere else it may only show 605.

Reaction score
Gotcha, I'm just really tearing this topic apart right now because I'm possibly buying a single cast 366 today or tomorrow.

Is there a way to send a cast 66 in and have it upgraded? Is it just like doing a drop in wheel?

Yep if you bough a cast 66 and wanted us to mod it later we can do that.

johnp115

Reaction score
Not being a dick but numbers are just numbers. Unless you have back to back info on the same truck you can't compare them. We had a truck do 630 on stock fuel with just a batmo in the LP. It was on a non loaded dyno com. Mid 5xx on a loaded superflow. So your trick that makes 615 may show 665 with a good single setup. The next time you go somewhere else it may only show 605.

I was pulling that number from my trap speed/weight

Reaction score
I was pulling that number from my trap speed/weight

I realize that.

You can't compare your trap speed to a dyno number from a completely different truck and say yours makes more power.

On the dyno we are using it was used for the 6.4 tune shootout for diesel power mag. Using a stock turbo 6.4 out of all the custom tunes compared (h&s, Gearhead, innovative, RCD, etc) the highest hp tune made 550 hp. Depending on tune ect, a stock turbo 6.4 will make 525-550 in general. With a 66 your in the 600-625 range all day on that same dyno.

Since your truck made 615 based on your trap speed. You made the remark that a 66mm single is little to no gain. Which is absolutely 100% not a plausible comparison. Now if you put your truck on the same dyno that we are using, your numbers will reflect the same as all the others we've dyno'd over the years. So saying your truck with a batmo wheel LP is basically the same hp as a single cast 66, will not hold up. Put it on the same dyno back to back. I'd put a free turbo kit on that.

Again not being an a-hole about it, you just have to keep in mind what numbers I am using when making our comparisons. On another dyno or at the track with the right setup you could trap 675-700 with a 66 but there are a lot of variables. There is no blanket statement that I will ever make saying "you use this kit you will be xxx hp". What I'm saying is that depending on setup and other mods including turbo selected there are gains from 50-100+ hp with a single kit vs bone stock turbos. It's all in the total setup. A cast 363 on stock fuel will make way different than billet 66 with 30% and dual fuelers. So that's why I don't like to throw hypothetical numbers out there.

"They make more power. How much is up to you and your truck." That is my blanket statement lol.

swinky

Reaction score
My trap speed went down 4mph when I started getting out of the hole better.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Last edited:

johnp115

Reaction score
Fully understood. I just wasn't considering the different circumstances of the numbers. I'll know what the improvement does on my truck if I take it to the track.

Uppipes, 6.0 manifolds and a ported intake id image it should be getting sufficient air lol

Csilva187

Reaction score
I realize that.

You can't compare your trap speed to a dyno number from a completely different truck and say yours makes more power.

On the dyno we are using it was used for the 6.4 tune shootout for diesel power mag. Using a stock turbo 6.4 out of all the custom tunes compared (h&s, Gearhead, innovative, RCD, etc) the highest hp tune made 550 hp. Depending on tune ect, a stock turbo 6.4 will make 525-550 in general. With a 66 your in the 600-625 range all day on that same dyno.

Since your truck made 615 based on your trap speed. You made the remark that a 66mm single is little to no gain. Which is absolutely 100% not a plausible comparison. Now if you put your truck on the same dyno that we are using, your numbers will reflect the same as all the others we've dyno'd over the years. So saying your truck with a batmo wheel LP is basically the same hp as a single cast 66, will not hold up. Put it on the same dyno back to back. I'd put a free turbo kit on that.

Again not being an a-hole about it, you just have to keep in mind what numbers I am using when making our comparisons. On another dyno or at the track with the right setup you could trap 675-700 with a 66 but there are a lot of variables. There is no blanket statement that I will ever make saying "you use this kit you will be xxx hp". What I'm saying is that depending on setup and other mods including turbo selected there are gains from 50-100+ hp with a single kit vs bone stock turbos. It's all in the total setup. A cast 363 on stock fuel will make way different than billet 66 with 30% and dual fuelers. So that's why I don't like to throw hypothetical numbers out there.

"They make more power. How much is up to you and your truck." That is my blanket statement lol.

Did that get make it to press?

B585Ford

Reaction score
Fully understood. I just wasn't considering the different circumstances of the numbers. I'll know what the improvement does on my truck if I take it to the track.

Uppipes, 6.0 manifolds and a ported intake id image it should be getting sufficient air lol

If you go the single route, I will be interested to see the trap speed comparison.

Latest posts

Members online