Update on my rig

Erikclaw

Reaction score
It is either rocker arm pedestal height or push rods on one side are too long. smh tired of this chit

Reaction score
A few months ago ford/navistar had a run of rocker arms that the pedestals were machined wrong. We are hoping that's what it is. Have had another customer have this issue with a set he installed on one of his customers trucks. He thought it was because the heads were decked too far. But in reality when he pulled it apart he measured the pedestal and found they were not right. This was since Erik's engine had already been built. There is a good possibility that this could be the cause. On the engine stand all the valve train and rockers were fine when doing the rollover. None were tight. But as with the others we've heard about, once it starts and pumps a little oil pressure into the lifters, it seems to hold the valves open just a hair.

The block is brand new, not decked. The heads were new. They were within spec. The pushrods are the same 9.800" used on every 6.4 made. The lifters, well I have no idea as I have never used the ones Erik supplied for the build.

We are talking small amounts, a long ways from coil bind. It would have to be a half inch off the even come close....

It sucks, but on the engine stand there is nothing we could have done different. If it was the incorrect rocker pedestal machining that caused it, we didn't know there was even a problem to check for. This has just surfaced in the last month or so. It coincides with ford being back ordered on rocker assemblies for month earlier this year.

Either way, it sucks, but not the end of the world. I've been helping Browns with the trouble shooting and they are headed in the right direction.

This is certainly not the first 6.4 or 6.0 that has had an issue like this that I've heard of. Between milled heads, blocks, 6.0 pushrods used in 6.4's etc.... I've had a lot of people tell me stories like this. That's why we have shorter pushrods for these occasions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Hammer Down

Reaction score
We have seen this same issue with the rocker pedistal. I would think as particular as Morgan is if it was any other issue it would have been caught, like he said there isn't really a way to catch that on the stand. I'm hoping that's all it is and the rig will be up and running.

Reaction score
A few months ago ford/navistar had a run of rocker arms that the pedestals were machined wrong. We are hoping that's what it is. Have had another customer have this issue with a set he installed on one of his customers trucks. He thought it was because the heads were decked too far. But in reality when he pulled it apart he measured the pedestal and found they were not right. This was since Erik's engine had already been built. There is a good possibility that this could be the cause. On the engine stand all the valve train and rockers were fine when doing the rollover. None were tight. But as with the others we've heard about, once it starts and pumps a little oil pressure into the lifters, it seems to hold the valves open just a hair.

The block is brand new, not decked. The heads were new. They were within spec. The pushrods are the same 9.800" used on every 6.4 made. The lifters, well I have no idea as I have never used the ones Erik supplied for the build.

We are talking small amounts, a long ways from coil bind. It would have to be a half inch off the even come close....

It sucks, but on the engine stand there is nothing we could have done different. If it was the incorrect rocker pedestal machining that caused it, we didn't know there was even a problem to check for. This has just surfaced in the last month or so. It coincides with ford being back ordered on rocker assemblies for month earlier this year.

Either way, it sucks, but not the end of the world. I've been helping Browns with the trouble shooting and they are headed in the right direction.

This is certainly not the first 6.4 or 6.0 that has had an issue like this that I've heard of. Between milled heads, blocks, 6.0 pushrods used in 6.4's etc.... I've had a lot of people tell me stories like this. That's why we have shorter pushrods for these occasions.

Would you happen to have the spec on the pedestals? I've got a 6.4 here I'm about to drop the cab back on that I put new rock arms in. Had to special order them in because no one local had any.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
I hope that is it and more than likely is since others have shown up. Been on the road all day so don't know if that is the issue. Had Browns just get in contact directly since me being the middle man was getting annoying. Lol
Just talked to Brown's they are tearing it down to check the lot number on the pedestals to see if they are in the recall. If not then shorter pushrods are going in.

Last edited:
Reaction score
dcb63cdaff1609df4bfd0fef148111e1.jpg

Taken from a known good rocker arm. 40mm.

Over all these years we have been replacing rocker arms we never had any idea or inclination that there ever could have been an issue. And have had no reason to measure the pedestal. But ford has thrown us a knuckleball. And since I heard about the first one from a customer all the rocker stands are checked. Just so happens that was after Erik's engine had been built...

Just seems like anything that can happen will. I hope that is the issue. But shorter pushrods are no biggie.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
dcb63cdaff1609df4bfd0fef148111e1.jpg

Taken from a known good rocker arm. 40mm.

Over all these years we have been replacing rocker arms we never had any idea or inclination that there ever could have been an issue. And have had no reason to measure the pedestal. But ford has thrown us a knuckleball. And since I heard about the first one from a customer all the rocker stands are checked. Just so happens that was after Erik's engine had been built...

Just seems like anything that can happen will. I hope that is the issue. But shorter pushrods are no biggie.

yep , you're used to shorter rods.

Erikclaw

Reaction score
Yeah I heard the same, Morgan is used to dealing with mini rods.

Goes with my usual luck, mine went out just as these issues were beginning to surface.

:mad::popcorn::flipa: