08 6.4L Build & Turbo Upgrade Help

Codyj

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been following the forum for a bit now and thought this would be the best place to ask about turbo upgrades. Right now i have the BD - twin turbo upgrades 73mm primary and 58.5 secondary, the highest numbers i have gotten is 602rwhp and 1188 torque. I thought we would be able to push more out of these turbos but i guess not. I was originally hopping for 700 + rwhp, but now if i am upgrading turbos again I would like around 800rwhp.

My truck is my daily driver and I tow up to 16,000lbs about 15% of the time any thoughts would be appreciated.

Here is my truck build so far:

2008 F350 6.4L Harley Davidson Edition - 82,000kms

Exterior:
• 20" KMC Wheels
• 38" x 13.5 Toyo Open County m/t
• Chrome Nerf Bars
• Bushwacker 2" Fender Flares
• Black Headache Rack, Side Tie down Bars and Tool Box
• 6000k HID Head Lights
• Rigid Dually D2 Flood Fog Lights
• Rigid Dually Flood Back Up Lights
• 20” Rigid Light Bar In Front Bumper

Suspension
• 6" Fabtech Lift/ Dirt Logic 2.25 Nitrogen Shocks
• One Up Offroad 7” Traction Blocks and Ladder Bars
• BDS Steering Stabilizer with Fox 2.0 Stabilizer Shocks

Engine:
• H&S Mini Max Tuner - Custom KEM 345 Performance Tune
• AFE 4" Cold Air Intake
• 3" Intercooler High Flow Piping
• BD Diesel Cool-It Intercooler
• Elite Diesel EGR Delete With Waste Gate
• 4 3/4" Turbo Back Dual Exhaust With DPF Delete
• BD 6.0 Exhaust Manifold
• Port & Polished Heads - Port Matched to 6.0 Exhaust Manifolds
• Elite Diesel Ported Intake Manifold
• BD Twin Turbo Upgrade
- 73.0mm Primary – 58.5mm Secondary
• River City Diesel up Pipes
• Fass Titanium 150 GPH Fuel Pump and New Style Suction Tube
• Industrial Injection 85% Dragon Fire High Pressure Fuel Pump
• Elite Stage 1 Ported Fuel Rails
• Elite 110hp 8 Hole Nozzles
• Air Dog Fuel Bowl Delete
• Arp Headstuds
• Powerstroke Elite Oil Cooler System
• Sinister Coolant Filtration System

Transmission
• North American Diesel Performance Race Series 5R110
• Upgraded Billet Torque Converter
• Upgraded Billet Input Shaft
• Upgraded Billet Internal Shaft
• Upgraded Billet Ring Gear
• Upgraded Mag-Hytec Transmission Pan, Holds 22 Quarts total
• BD Diesel 6.4L TapShifter

Interior:
• Custom Stereo: 4 Speakers, 4 tweeters, 10’ Subwoofer, 2 Amps, Kenwood Touch Screen With Wifi, 3 Tv Screens
• Build in Radar detector
• Remote Start + Alarm

TruckSideGravel2_zps10b9ef24.jpg

webb06

Reaction score
So you're wanting to know what turbo setup will get you 800hp? High powers would be close or a 66/88 custom setup would be over 800 pretty easily probably closer to 900.

I've got a set of tow power x chargers for sale that would get you close to 750hp if you're interested in those.

Codyj

Reaction score
Thanks,

This set up gave me 602rwhp and 1188 lb-ft on friday at BD Diesel. They are still working on the truck. Today they capped the control on the wasted gate and got 627rwhp @ 57lbs boost. They think that after some more testing and tuning we can pull 680rwhp or so from these turbos.

Codyj

Reaction score
So you're wanting to know what turbo setup will get you 800hp? High powers would be close or a 66/88 custom setup would be over 800 pretty easily probably closer to 900.

Were going to max out these turbos and see what i can get. If its still low numbers (under 700), I probably will switch out the turbos. Yes, If I am switching out the turbos, i would like 800+ hp. Do you know if you can still tow with high powers or 66/88's?

stroker221

Reaction score
I see you have a tap shifter. I didn't think bd or anyone offered it for our transmissions and it was only for duramax?

webb06

Reaction score
Were going to max out these turbos and see what i can get. If its still low numbers (under 700), I probably will switch out the turbos. Yes, If I am switching out the turbos, i would like 800+ hp. Do you know if you can still tow with high powers or 66/88's?

With correct tuning neither option would be a problem.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score

might wanna consider a bigger intake for what you're currently trying to do. that poor afe doesn't stand a chance.

Codyj

Reaction score
Yes, I got the first BD tap shifter on the market. I just finished r&d last week. As for the stage 2 intake, it is the recommended intake for my turbos, but I just saw that elite does have an upgrade kit for it. I may order that and see if it helps.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Yes, I got the first BD tap shifter on the market. I just finished r&d last week. As for the stage 2 intake, it is the recommended intake for my turbos, but I just saw that elite does have an upgrade kit for it. I may order that and see if it helps.

get rid of the AFe and get with Mike (bigrpower) (poster above you) his intake is biggest/best intake in the market..

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I have the BD Turbos, get the No Limit Intake (bigrpowr). Trust me on that one.
Get someone that knows how to tune these trucks, either Innovative or Gearhead and you will be where you want in power I bet.

Does the Tap Shifting well, give some feedback.

sootie

Reaction score
its been said already but get Gearhead tunes and a no limit intake and you will see substantial gains...

Codyj

Reaction score
Okay guys, thanks for the heads up. Im going to look into the No Limits Intake right now. With this intake i will have to install a CCV system, is that a big job? Right now we are working with Mike @ KEM Performance, he has made me a custom tune and hopefully get it updated within the next few days once BD has all the dyno testing numbers for him.

Last edited:

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Okay guys, thanks for the heads up. Im going to look into the No Limits Intake right now. With this intake i will have to install a CCV system, is that a big job? Right now we are working with Mike @ KEM Performance, he has made me a custom tune and hopefully get it updated within the next few days once BD has all the dyno testing numbers for him.
The No Limit CAI is awesome! You will have to reroute the ccv. Mike (bigrpowr) sells a kit if you wanted to order it with his intake. I just bought a molded heater hose, some connectors, and about 15' of 1" heater hose and made my own. Here is a pic of the cai installed on my truck.
3011db347ec5acb98e31271a9a6496d0.jpg

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

Codyj

Reaction score
Yea, that looks good. What filter did you choose? Dry, Oiled or Pro Guard 7?

As for the TapShifter, i still haven't tried it out. BD has my truck in Vancouver. I know they had to rewrite some programming for it work on the dyno, but they told me its working great now. They can lock in and hold 4th on the dyno.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
I went with the dry. My truck doesn't go into any extremely dusty or dirty conditions anymore. And I got sooooo tired of cleaning and oiling the last couple oiled filters that I had. So I figured I'd try the dry filter this time.

Whenever you get your truck back post up how you like the tapshift. I'm very interested in it. And nice truck btw!

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

pog

Reaction score
Yea, that looks good. What filter did you choose? Dry, Oiled or Pro Guard 7?

As for the TapShifter, i still haven't tried it out. BD has my truck in Vancouver. I know they had to rewrite some programming for it work on the dyno, but they told me its working great now. They can lock in and hold 4th on the dyno.

i dont know why they love 4th&lock. i ran mine in od and got better results on their dyno. you gotta remember i told you their dyno is stingy as ***. tune only i dynoed 430hp. 713 with 60% and a s472. you need track times.

Codyj

Reaction score
I went with the dry. My truck doesn't go into any extremely dusty or dirty conditions anymore. And I got sooooo tired of cleaning and oiling the last couple oiled filters that I had. So I figured I'd try the dry filter this time.

Whenever you get your truck back post up how you like the tapshift. I'm very interested in it. And nice truck btw!

Thats understandable, they can be a pain. Ill let you guys know about the TapShifter when i get it back.

Latest posts

Members online