160/100 vs 205/30 Injector Testing

Addicted4

Reaction score
Well my 250/80’s in my economy tune pulls 12k pretty good. My 35’s and 3.73 means I either have to tow at 72-75mph to keep the rpm up or run 62-65 in 3rd climbing a grade. This is a economy tune not a tow tune. Will it build heat, absolutely in overdrive at 15-1600 rpms 1250-1300*, but if you downshift holds about 1000* with a little rpm. This is only when pulling a grade 4-7% not flat ground. No smoke that is visible. Stock turbo charger with 332k miles. Next time I tow I will use my tow tune and get a better idea. The biggest thing is that the tow tune downshifts pretty much anytime you try to accelerate moderately that’s why I don’t use it often. Imagine a decent drop in or 364.5 turbo and 33’s or 4.10 or 4.30 you would have a towing machine with no issues.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Good information thank you. I’m thinking after all these years people still like the 238/80’s and hybrids that they might be a good all around injector. Most of the tuners must have a good feel for them as well.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Anymore info available on these 205/30 vs 238/80 towing??? I’m still on the fence on which way to go.

Addicted4

Reaction score
What turbo and hpop will you be running? I say go 238/80, cooler egts and crisp power. No experience with 205/30 but the bigger nozzle will make the same power cooler

cjfarm111

Reaction score
SXE364.5/73 and a T500. I have all the supporting mods and the fuel and air side along with springs, push rods and studs, and a BTS. My 180/80’s make good power and that’s what I don’t want to lose by going with an injector with a 30%. Buuuuttt I want to clean up the smoke and oil usage with my current setup. Will a hybrid with an 80% nozzle be cleaner then a A code with a 80%???

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
SXE364.5/73 and a T500. I have all the supporting mods and the fuel and air side along with springs, push rods and studs, and a BTS. My 180/80’s make good power and that’s what I don’t want to lose by going with an injector with a 30%. Buuuuttt I want to clean up the smoke and oil usage with my current setup. Will a hybrid with an 80% nozzle be cleaner then a A code with a 80%???
All depends on tuning.

live life full throttle

Strokersace

Reaction score
Anymore info available on these 205/30 vs 238/80 towing??? I’m still on the fence on which way to go.

If... well let me rephrase that... WHEN I get another 7.3 to tinker with, I will be going with the 205/30’s along with the same turbo and similar oil setup as you. It’ll be a truck i use to tow and haul hay and such 98% of the time.

“I can’t quit you 7.3!!”

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
If... well let me rephrase that... WHEN I get another 7.3 to tinker with, I will be going with the 205/30’s along with the same turbo and similar oil setup as you. It’ll be a truck i use to tow and haul hay and such 98% of the time.

“I can’t quit you 7.3!!”
Should have kept the one you had. Lol... i should have kept it as well.. i still miss the ole girl every day.

live life full throttle

cjfarm111

Reaction score
PHP and DP. I have tried others and they missed the mark big time so I never pursued any revisions

Addicted4

Reaction score
Call one or both and see what they recommend. Gear head recommends 238/80 which is my tuner and no complaints here.

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Strokersace what is your reasoning behind your decision? I guess what I don’t understand is at 3,000 rpm and say 4ms of pW and 3000 icp how much fuel can you flow through a 30% nozzle??? Can you empty 205? Will a 30% nozzle build heat in a longer period scenario compared to an 80%?

Strokersace

Reaction score
Strokersace what is your reasoning behind your decision? I guess what I don’t understand is at 3,000 rpm and say 4ms of pW and 3000 icp how much fuel can you flow through a 30% nozzle??? Can you empty 205? Will a 30% nozzle build heat in a longer period scenario compared to an 80%?

Although I don’t have answers to your last questions, I’ll do my best to explain my reasoning...

I simply want a setup that’s fun to drive. And in fun, I mean that I’m not worn out from driving it when towing: watching egts, rpm, running the overdrive button, etc.

I’ve had 7.3’s with stage 1’s, 2’s, 2.5’s (all single shot) up to 400/200 hybrids. Varying turbos and oil of course. When towing, I was always working my a$$ off to keep everything in check and was flat wore out when I got to where I was going. It’s all I knew.

It wasn’t until I went back to stage 1’s, slightly upgraded oil and turbo that I realized how hard I was working. That setup was fun! Why... because it was clean (no smoke), had plenty of power for the loads I was pulling (typically 10k or more), and was effortless (I didn’t have to have my head on a swivel watching everything). Day in day out, the ease and simplicity did it for me.

NOW, there will be a bunch of people jump in and say that their experience with xxxx injectors and xxxx turbo provide them the same thing and that’s fine. I’m only providing my experience from pulling loads all across the mountains of Washington, Idaho, Oregon, Montana, Wyoming, and Colorado to the flatlands and hills of Kansas, Oklahoma, and Texas.

So, now why would I go with the 205/30’s and a 364.5 verses something bigger.... technology and advancements in the industry compared to when I started modding 7.3’s (circa 2000 ish). It’s clean, simplistic, and proven to be reliable just like the stage 1s with slightly upgraded oil and turbo. But more power when not towing! I’ll say this though... I have not personally ran this setup to date and being completely honest with you and myself... I may not like it!!! But if I didn’t do the simple stage 1 route, it’s the route I’d go.

In the end, you may not like it. You may want more. You may want less. For your style of driving and usage of truck, the multitude of different setups repped here may not work at all.

Last edited:

cjfarm111

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight strokersace. With my current setup with 180/80’s I mostly tow with the occasional Sunday drive but while towing I’m over trying different tuners and tunes to reduce smoke and improve drivability. Most my smoke is at
Lower rpms when I’m in and out of the throttle. While cruising down the interstate it tows very well and that’s when I like the power. I just don’t want to lose the power I have by going to small of nozzle on a hybrid.

Latest posts

Members online