160/30 vs 160's

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I can name about 3 dozen people on the ORG w/ stage 1's and NO ic, who none of them have heat problems w/ the 160's. So I'm not terribly worried about that.
The reason they dont have issues is they are tuned that way, they are not getting full potential out of injectors. Kinda like a restricter plate on a 500hp engine to keep it at 400hp. Whats the point

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Oh I see what you are saying. So if you tell the tuner you have 160/30's but no IC, they will probably dial fuel back some.

mattman347

Reaction score
Or even 160/100's. My personal truck runs a 200% nozzle and has been made to barly whisp smoke when first accelerating then it goes away.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
I can name about 3 dozen people on the ORG w/ stage 1's and NO ic, who none of them have heat problems w/ the 160's. So I'm not terribly worried about that.

I have hypermax stage 1's in mine and I have no issues getting the EGT's up in a hurry. No IC, stock turbo, Cale's tunes.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do you have both a tow tune and a hot tune? Are egt's still manageable in the hot setting, and does it tow acceptably in the tow setting?

TyCorr

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, do you have both a tow tune and a hot tune? Are egt's still manageable in the hot setting, and does it tow acceptably in the tow setting?

"Stock" tunes are great for towing with upgraded injectors. Your "hot" tune would most likely be like my tow tune was with 175/80(I went to 100% nozzles about 3 months after install.) If you wanted to run 160/30. I think you'll be ok but you'll have to limit tuning so the stock charger doesn't caput. I'm no non-intercooled expert but can't you make 330ish and be ok? That's where you'd probably land. Not sure if you care to hear it but I see an intercooler in your future.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
"Stock" tunes are great for towing with upgraded injectors. Your "hot" tune would most likely be like my tow tune was with 175/80(I went to 100% nozzles about 3 months after install.) If you wanted to run 160/30. I think you'll be ok but you'll have to limit tuning so the stock charger doesn't caput. I'm no non-intercooled expert but can't you make 330ish and be ok? That's where you'd probably land. Not sure if you care to hear it but I see an intercooler in your future.

most GOOD heavy tow-tunes will add fueling down low to get the load moving, but pull fuel higher-up to keep egt's in check, but changing up the shifting pattern to make the tranny more efficient for towing... which is what I plan to do.

Most guys w/ 160's I've noticed dyno 330-380whp.... 160/30's are a bit rarer on the dyno, but have noticed 380-400whp.

superduty4x4

Reaction score
My tow tune doesn't run as hot but I still have to drive by the pyro when I have a load on. My daily tune smokes like a banshee and runs hot. My hot tune isn't a whole heck of a lot different, maybe a bit more giddy up on top.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
What kind of loads do you run? Any hills? Whats temps like in the hills?

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with a 160/30 for what you're trying to accomplish. Key thing is going to be tuning. Also didn't see anywhere in there but electric fuel is going to be needed if you want to get any real performance out of those. Get a hold of Nate @ Unlimited Diesel, he has run the 160/30s in more than a few trucks. He had a set in his F450 for awhile & knocked down some good MPG but still had no issue using it as a work rig.

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
I didn't read through the whole thread only the first few posts so not sure if its been brought up...

My question to the OP is, why would you want to "max" out your stock turbo? Or "max" out anything in general? And this goes for everybody, me, I'd rather run say 75% "maxed" out..just seems like things would last a little longer if they're not constantly being "maxed" out

TyCorr

Reaction score
I didn't read through the whole thread only the first few posts so not sure if its been brought up...

My question to the OP is, why would you want to "max" out your stock turbo? Or "max" out anything in general? And this goes for everybody, me, I'd rather run say 75% "maxed" out..just seems like things would last a little longer if they're not constantly being "maxed" out

He will wind up rebuilding the Turbo more often and probably get sick of it and upgrade. I wish someone would have pushed me to get 38r sooner. Even with stock sticks and a tuner it makes a big difference. Even without aftermarket tuning the 38r is a great upgrade.

The OP has an obs so I guess it's not the same scenario.

What are we talking about again? To the OP, just run the Damn stg 1s.

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score
He will wind up rebuilding the Turbo more often and probably get sick of it and upgrade. I wish someone would have pushed me to get 38r sooner. Even with stock sticks and a tuner it makes a big difference. Even without aftermarket tuning the 38r is a great upgrade.

The OP has an on a so I guess it's not the same scenario.

That's why I'm wondering why I see so many guys building stuff based on what the max their turbo can handle, or max the trans can hold, or max the rods will hold...

Things that are pushed to there max on a constant basis are gonna break every time....right?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys.

I'm not building a hi hp track machine, just something that will pull the tractors/loads a bit easier and have fun with. If my fp isn't up to snuff I'll shim the fpr, but I don't think fpr is going to be an issue at this point.

These obs turbos can handle 34psi stock and be reliable. Guys run stage IIs on these trucks n they get some miles out of them. Besides that, I drive like grandpa 99% of the time so I won't be putting the pedal down terribly often.

I'll contact nate about the 160/30s.. Thanks for the advice. I'm hearing the 30 nozzles will bring egts down a good chunk especially when towing, but still give 25-40whp more than stock nozzles.

38r won't fit obs... A d66 will tho. But if I do a d66 then why bother with stage 1s... Then why not do efuel and ic and yadda yadda, and far more then I'm gonna put into it lol. I'm just doing light mods until I sell it in a few years for a 6.0 or 6.4

seeyalater5.9

Reaction score

I'm not building a hi hp track machine, just something that will pull the tractors/loads a bit easier and have fun with. If my fp isn't up to snuff I'll shim the fpr, but I don't think fpr is going to be an issue at this point.

These obs turbos can handle 34psi stock and be reliable. Guys run stage IIs on these trucks n they get some miles out of them. Besides that, I drive like grandpa 99% of the time so I won't be putting the pedal down terribly often.

I'll contact nate about the 160/30s.. Thanks for the advice. I'm hearing the 30 nozzles will bring egts down a good chunk especially when towing, but still give 25-40whp more than stock nozzles.

38r won't fit obs... A d66 will tho. But if I do a d66 then why bother with stage 1s... Then why not do efuel and ic and yadda yadda, and far more then I'm gonna put into it lol. I'm just doing light mods until I sell it in a few years for a 6.0 or 6.4
34psi stock and be reliable?

For how long?

smokedout250

Reaction score

Say what? Who told you the obs turbo last with stage 2s? Mine made it 2500 miles Because the back pressure was through the roof.... And I was making 35 psi

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.