160/30 vs 160's

TyCorr

Reaction score
That turbo would live so long as you don't ever exceed 2k rpm.

A 38r will fit, it's just not a drop in. But nothing really is.

I'm leery ability it participating in these threads as usually things people are relaying as safe or disable aren't and advice is disregarded. This isn't directed at the OP but just an observation.

smokedout250

Reaction score
That turbo would live so long as you don't ever exceed 2k rpm.

A 38r will fit, it's just not a drop in. But nothing really is.

I'm leery ability it participating in these threads as usually things people are relaying as safe or disable aren't and advice is disregarded. This isn't directed at the OP but just an observation.

Tycorr is right the 38r will fit need a manifold an up pipes. I'm not going to say anything is safe because you never know what's gonna happen and I can't say what shape your turbo is in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
Tycorr is right the 38r will fit need a manifold an up pipes. I'm not going to say anything is safe because you never know what's gonna happen and I can't say what shape your turbo is in.

I agree that somebody COULD use a stock turbo with bigger injectors but it's kinda pointless. The 38r is much tougher, efficient, and joyful to use than a gtp38. All I'm saying is some chargers are more suited to higher fueled setups. Stock turbochargers wouldn't fall under that heading.

I like to be able to use and consequently enjoy my setups.however small they may be.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
34psi stock and be reliable?

For how long?

On an OBS turbo, yes. People run stage 1's @ 32-34psi for 60k+ miles w/out issues and maybe more.

Say what? Who told you the obs turbo last with stage 2s? Mine made it 2500 miles Because the back pressure was through the roof.... And I was making 35 psi

I know of people running stage II's on stock snail. Not saying thats optimal, cuz thats a lot of fuel... but stage 1's aren't an issue and are infact recommended by tuners/injector makers for OBS stock turbos.

meth inj.

haha.. it's NOT that serious. My 6.0/6.4 I'm gonna go a little more crazy, but not w/ my OBS.

HairyPalmer

Reaction score
not to be a douche.... but if you want to spend little to no cash, be happy with your stock 215 hp. It's respectable and you can haul alot of **** with it ( I did for 100K). I have rosewood stg. 2 160/80's, d-66, Cale's tunes... with the promise to IC. I havent done an IC yet and guess what? My **** runs hot. I will have an IC done in the next few weeks but for now I run my tunes on STOCK. SO, be happy with what you have or spend the few extra bucks to, 1- take full advantage of your investment, 2- ensure the longevity of your investment. Just my opinion though.

TyCorr

Reaction score
not to be a douche.... but if you want to spend little to no cash, be happy with your stock 215 hp. It's respectable and you can haul alot of **** with it ( I did for 100K). I have rosewood stg. 2 160/80's, d-66, Cale's tunes... with the promise to IC. I havent done an IC yet and guess what? My **** runs hot. I will have an IC done in the next few weeks but for now I run my tunes on STOCK. SO, be happy with what you have or spend the few extra bucks to, 1- take full advantage of your investment, 2- ensure the longevity of your investment. Just my opinion though.

One of the most sensible posts. If you don't want any side effects of extra fuel don't add it. As in no chip, no injectors, no turbo upgrades, and no IC. I understand people working on the cheap but it rarely if ever works out.

bad12jr

Reaction score
My SD in my sig is a great DD and pulls good. I need to replace the egt gauge as it actually quit right before I pulled the 96 to the fair. Wieghed in around 20000 total. It moves right on with that load. I will say though even the small amount of extra power I don't believe a stock trans would last long with the setup. On the 96 the 140's get hot but are manageable in the tow tune. Anything else and it gets warm pretty quick. Tops out around 1400deg and 35+/- on boost.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

Ever try running a 215hp truck thru 3ft of snow up insane grades of hills that last a few miles sometimes? Its called foot all the way down, and struggling to keep any form of speed. I have practical use for the extra power.

My SD in my sig is a great DD and pulls good. I need to replace the egt gauge as it actually quit right before I pulled the 96 to the fair. Wieghed in around 20000 total. It moves right on with that load. I will say though even the small amount of extra power I don't believe a stock trans would last long with the setup. On the 96 the 140's get hot but are manageable in the tow tune. Anything else and it gets warm pretty quick. Tops out around 1400deg and 35+/- on boost.

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Topping out @ 1400* isn't bad at all.....

bad12jr

Reaction score
That's with a good Hpop but the charger is screaming at me. Pulling any weight is a different story. Haven't had a big load behind it in a while so I don't remember the temps. They were basically free so I ran em.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

CSIPSD

Reaction score
160/100 and be done. If your tuner cant tune it to be fun with those injectors, find a new tuner.

Why is this thread 6 pages long?

IMHO, anything smaller then a 100% nozzle is worthless. Leave the stock nozzle in there.

Your pissing money away on a 30% nozzle.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I agree ^^^ with the 100% nozzle. Put the fuel in quicker for much cleaner more efficient truck.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
160/100 and be done. If your tuner cant tune it to be fun with those injectors, find a new tuner.

Why is this thread 6 pages long?

IMHO, anything smaller then a 100% nozzle is worthless. Leave the stock nozzle in there.

Your pissing money away on a 30% nozzle.

lol @ 6 pages long. The 30% nozzles are free on stage 1's. A 100% nozzle gives me stage II's. I dont want that much fueling... although good point of being able to tune those injectors back some.

I agree ^^^ with the 100% nozzle. Put the fuel in quicker for much cleaner more efficient truck.

This is a great point; larger injectors/nozzles = faster injection event. But 30% nozzles are free... 100% nozzles give me stage II injectors.

stroker2

Reaction score
Can i ask who is giving away 30% nozzles for free? I always thought a stage 2 injector was a 160cc injector with any sort of aftermarket nozzle

Last edited:

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Can i ask who is giving away 30% nozzles for free? I always thought a stage 2 injector was a 160cc injector with any sort of aftermarket nozzle

Rosewoods. Stage 1's are 160/0. But they also offer a stage 1.5, which is a 160/30, for no additional cost. Thats a good 40whp for free w/ the 30% nozzles. 160/100 are stage II... far more fuel, and also far more cost.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Would the 80 nozzles do me better than 30s? Would they control egts better you guys think?

Latest posts

Members online