190's and 68 VGT review thread

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
Ok...finally got my 68 VGT from RCD installed last night/this morning. I've only driven it a little but I will continue to add to this as I get updated tunes, bp gauge, track times, dyno #'s, etc. I'm sure Gare will chime in too when he gets his on.

Idle: sounds exactly like my regular powermax.

City Driving: still builds boost exactly like my old powermax. it comes on right about 1200-1300 rpms. no smoke at all under normal driving unless you get under the turbo. zero lag under normal acceleration.

Moderate driving: boost still comes in just fine. once you get above 1/2-3/4 throttle there is some haze but once you're up to speed, no smoke. still pulls just like my old powermax at this point.

WOT: down low, still feels the same as the regular powermax. once you get to the top of the pedal, you can definitely tell it's pulling harder though. it pegged my 40 psi boost gauge and was still pulling hard. smokes hard with my 100% nozzles but I wasn't really expecting it to clean it up totally. I'm thinking with 40+psi boost that back pressure is probably sky high but I'll be putting a guage on it soon. seat of the pants definitely felt stronger than the regular pmax set up.

this was all done on my original tune for my 190/100's and regular powermax. still waiting on tunes from RCD. I originally dyno'd 534 with the old setup and at WOT, this does feel a bit stronger. should hopefully have some #'s at the Ennis races. like I said, I'll continue to update this with temps, pressures, etc.

strokin6L

Reaction score
That sounds awesome man. Wish RCD had this turbo back a couple years ago when i got my 64mm non vgt. Can't wait to see what the BP is on the turbo with the 190's.

chappy

Reaction score
You said egts are down a 100. What were they before with the regular pmax? I guess I thought you would see an increase in power even with normal and 1/2 throttle driving. Thats kinda dissapointing.

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
highway cruising with reg powermax they were about 850-900. now they're 750-800 ish.

as far as power goes...the wheel is 4mm bigger so down low at low throttle, it's not going to feel any stronger. if anything, it won't feel as responsive as a turbo with a smaller wheel. it does pull harder when over 1/2 throttle but it's most noticeable up top. when you put your foot in it, it pulls damn hard. keep in mind, i'm still running my old tune for the reg. powermax so once I get it all dialed in, we'll really know what it does. stock trans will not last too long if you beat on it with this setup.

smokinstroker

Reaction score
**** that's low for egts on a big Vgt. Mine has never ran under 900-1000 on flat cruising 60-70.

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
well...i was only at 65 when I looked. I'll check again tomorrow at 75 mph...i'm betting it'll be around 850

Im thinking with addition of a ported manifold...egts should be ATLEAST another 100 degrees cooler if not more. Interested to see what the diff will be with that addition plus a batmo in the temp department.

Good report homie. Thanks.

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
Thanks for the review Lance. Hopefully Josh will send your tunes out so you can really enjoy that charger.

Maybe we can get Jim @ Rosewood Diesel to chime in about his as well!

Jared

java

Reaction score
I have a ssx for my 190/100's but I'm really likeing this option. Looking forward to more reviews on it.

Latest posts

Members online