2008 rides like poo. What to do

Cknox121

Reaction score
As stated, my truck rides like poop. I have bilstien 5160 remote resi's now on all 4 corners and the front has 1in spacers.

So what do I need to make it ride similar to a 2013 and up? Icon? Coil overs? Kings? Fox? Swap bars?

Thanks
Cody

Sent from my cracked iPhone using Tapatalk

Bjg068

Reaction score
Rides like poop doesnt inform us of what u want improved. Rides too soft, hard, body roll, road wondering, loose steering..... How old are the 5160's? Maybe they need rebuilt. Does the back bounce to much or too stiff for your liking? What size tires/rims, what psi u running.

Cknox121

Reaction score
Rides like poop doesnt inform us of what u want improved. Rides too soft, hard, body roll, road wondering, loose steering..... How old are the 5160's? Maybe they need rebuilt. Does the back bounce to much or too stiff for your liking? What size tires/rims, what psi u running.

Way to firm...I feel every crack in the road. I would say a tad body role but nothing major. Back is like a jack hammer. To stiff. If I want to tow really heavy then I can get some bags. I just want a nice smooth/soft ride.

35" nitto trails, 20" stock rims, 65psi,

Sorry for being vague

Bjg068

Reaction score
First id play with the psi your running when unloaded. I personally went down to 35x12.5's on a 18" wheel too and ride def got softer. Unloaded i dont think much will help the rear unless u grab some carli leafs or their mini pack. Chalk test the tires and then u may may still wanna raise or lower psi, compromising ride quality/handling over tire life. Bags in the rear is no doubt best for heavy or moderate towing. A different leaf setup will prob make u much happier. And i hate to say it, but sometimes a stock or low lev shock could be softer ride on the road, while a shock suited more for off-road will have a stiffer street ride and better 4wheeling ability

Cknox121

Reaction score
First id play with the psi your running when unloaded. I personally went down to 35x12.5's on a 18" wheel too and ride def got softer. Unloaded i dont think much will help the rear unless u grab some carli leafs or their mini pack. Chalk test the tires and then u may may still wanna raise or lower psi, compromising ride quality/handling over tire life. Bags in the rear is no doubt best for heavy or moderate towing. A different leaf setup will prob make u much happier. And i hate to say it, but sometimes a stock or low lev shock could be softer ride on the road, while a shock suited more for off-road will have a stiffer street ride and better 4wheeling ability

Thanks. I may lower them down to 50 psi and see. I may take a leaf out of the rear...but I have traction bars so I don't know if that would put them in a bind lowering the rear?

What "street" shocks would you recommend?

Cknox121

Reaction score
What are your opinions on a set of these? Buddy has then in is Chevy and it rides very good. I believe they are valved for the truck.

aa4f3966dd82276e70892003604a778e.jpg

smokinstroker

Reaction score
Those kings are only going to ride as good as the springs will let it.

Get some good coils and shocks that are meant to run together....

Spoolin'

Reaction score
My progressive coils and fox shocks feel better than stock and my previous setups. Bilstiens are a little harsh. My fabtechs were even harsher. My bilstiens were 5100s though.

Reaction score
Those kings are only going to ride as good as the springs will let it.

Get some good coils and shocks that are meant to run together....

I'm a newb but this held true for me. I changed out the Procomp springs for dual rate Icons and it made a world of difference on the same shocks (Fox 2.0's). Afterwards I bought the Icon shocks valved for their springs but haven't put them on yet.

Cknox121

Reaction score
I'm a newb but this held true for me. I changed out the Procomp springs for dual rate Icons and it made a world of difference on the same shocks (Fox 2.0's). Afterwards I bought the Icon shocks valved for their springs but haven't put them on yet.

Let me know how they do once you put them on!

BBottoms

Reaction score
I dropped my tire pressure to 45 front / 40 rear when unloaded and it's made a big difference. Tires still pass the 'chalk' test so they're not under-inflated but they're also 37x13.50s so lots of tread on the ground.

Look into Carli suspensions. They've got specifically valved shocks for 2.5" (level) and 4.5" lifts from Foxes all the way up to 3.0 Kings. They also have front replacement coils and full rear spring packs. The full rear springs are supposed to make the biggest difference in ride quality. They are on my to buy list for the near future. I had full Deaver rear leaves on my 95 F350 and it rode awesome. Better than my 09 by far.

Jomax

Reaction score
I love my carli rear springs. I'd get the fox back country kit. It's been said that it's the best riding kit for the street they have.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Cknox121

Reaction score
I dropped tire pressure to 55 front and 50 rear. Rear was 75 and front was 65. What a difference!

Cknox121

Reaction score
I'm going back to stock shocks and nitto 420's. Unless someone else can sell me on something that rides better then stock?

Edit: don't want to lift the truck either...

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Fox shocks are said to ride better. Or better yet, King shocks from Mike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk