2014 Sema project

jordan572

Reaction score
Back to the stuff everyone is looking for, the front suspension and all that came apart pretty easy. I rolled it over to its final resting spot to prepare it for the stands. The truck is definitely taking up it's share of space now, its what you have to expect though when things get this torn down. Once the truck was in place a pair of pneumatic jacks helped us with getting the frame way up there to a workable height. Like I said the frame will be spending the next few months here, the only time we plan on moving it is in and out of the spray after paint.

IMG_0983.jpg

The main wire harness, brake lines, fuel lines, etc will be staying on while we do the initial lift install. We don't need to be welding holes that have a purpose, with the truck on the stands the next thing was to remove the axle assemblies. We thought we were a little stronger than we actually were, we should have used some jacks or something to get them off there but we insisted on man handling them. Got them off without smashing anything but I won't be doing that again.

We forgot to paint these jack stands apparently,
IMG_1129.jpg

A picture of all the parts gathering, not a whole lot of this stuff is going to be re used.
IMG_1130.jpg

Last edited:

vrog

Reaction score
This is exactly what a SEMA truck should look like. Nice work and attention to detail. Best of luck

jordan572

Reaction score
This is exactly what a SEMA truck should look like. Nice work and attention to detail. Best of luck

Thank you, this may not have the crazy bumpers or bed racks that other sema trucks have but by the time this is said and done a lot of the best parts you can buy will hit this build. Looking more for the clean yet crazy show truck look, I think it might have actually been cheaper to throw big bumpers on there. With all the lights I plan to run up front were going to be in for it.

jordan572

Reaction score
Everything was out of the way finally, cab, engine, trans etc. We could finally focus on just the frame. Everything has been relatively fun to this point, getting to work on something this new is always nice. I will admit however I had very little fun removing rivet after rivet that held numerous suspension components to the frame. Everything had to come off the frame less the body mounts, :doh:. Shackle mounts, leaf overload stops, upper rear shock mounts, front coil buckets, radius arm brackets, and many other mounts were all removed. The tools of choice were simply a drill, air hammer and a torch. Needless to say by the end of it everyone around had enough of the air hammer. I'm glad this stage is officially over.

IMG_1009.jpg

Doing work on those front leaf pack mounts, apparently those were not meant to come of, or were they?
IMG_1228.jpg

Words can't express the loads of fun in this box, I hate those rivets.
IMG_1339.jpg

IMG_1338.jpg

And the final shot, no mounts left except the body mounts. I had to hold back, you get in the mode and forget that you still need those body mounts. This frame is looking so clean already, with some welding, grinding and paint this frame is going to glow.

IMG_1402.jpg

Jmuck

Reaction score
Nice! Those rivets are such a PITA. Should look pimpin' once filled and painted.

jordan572

Reaction score
Since the frame was all under control and ready for the lift, we moved onto the axle tubes. I doubt its necessary, but the axles were completely stripped minus the differentials before we torched off the shock mounts welded to the rear axle tubes. I decided that for both front and rear axles I needed some black, red is too much in my opinion to blast everything that color. The steering knuckles, tie rod ends, axles, etc will be painted black to give some contrast to the suspension. New seals for the front and rear will be needed as they usually fall apart when the hubs come off. Anyway we got to the cutting and grinding, and grinding. Finished out nice and should take minimal prep work to get those tubes mint.

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1307.jpg

IMG_1315.jpg

IMG_1325.jpg

jordan572

Reaction score
Are you gonna retain the stock turbo?

Sent while I probably should be doing something productive.

If everything goes as planned I would surely like to, there is some other major items and obstacles that need to be arranged before I get into that. The plan is to, but its just that, a plan. There is a lot of things going on in the background that need to happen first, if the time and resources are there I will go for it. While I want to build a well rounded, top notch build, the appearance department is priority. Hoods and doors stayed locked at sema, its all about the looks.

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
Hoods and doors stayed locked at sema, its all about the looks.

ohhh! I was gonna say a MDP or Elite kit would give you both a better set up and better looks buuuuut since the hood stays closed no one would be able to see it.:(

jordan572

Reaction score
ohhh! I was gonna say a MDP or Elite kit would give you both a better set up and better looks buuuuut since the hood stays closed no one would be able to see it.:(

Not saying I don't want to do it, like you said MDP and Elite are some of my favorites. I'm hoping H&S gets theirs to market soon.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.