2015-2016 Super Duty Active Regeneration Jack Hammer Valve Issue

nchighcountry

Reaction score
Myself: I first reported this issue to Ford in September 2014 at 4100 miles on a new Super Duty F350 3 months in. It is right at a year later, and still no resolution. To deal with the issue, as soon as I go into active regeneration, I immediately drop gears from 6 to 4 or 5 to 3. This apparently increases the Mass Air Flow or pressure and keeps the valves from sticking and jack hammering.

I drive all of my regenerations to completion and use the ForScan App to proactively monitor my truck and all regeneration parameters (Regen On/Off, Soot Grams per Liter, Soot %, EGT Back Pressure, EGT 1 EGT2 EGT3 EGT4, injector fuel flow, distance since last regen, etc etc).

I never let my truck idle and cut it off as soon as I arrive at my destination.

I am a long term Ford Customer and the owner of a 2005, 2008 and 2011 prior to the 2015. The 2008 and 2011 with Active Regeneration never had this issue with the valves.

I have a pending case with Ford with no resolution.

• Some Customers have had valves replaced with the problem usually returning.

• Some Customers have been fortunate to have gotten a full left head replacement approved (the only possible way to successfully fix the issue)

• Some Customers have gotten cash buy backs

• Some Customers have been given a new truck at no cost (even swap)

• Some Customers have been given a 200,000 mile extended power train warranty that should also cover the emissions components.

In my opinion, based on diesel techs that have more knowledge than myself as a consumer, this issue is clearly related to valve clearance tolerance issues with the valve guides and head. When exposed to the high heat of regeneration, they expand and hang causing the valves to jackhammer.

This respected diesel professional also gives a clear explanation to what is occurring:

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1272316&postcount=13

My comments as a customer dealing with this issue for a year now with no resolution from Ford:

Level Set on the Issue:

This is a factory engine manufacturing defect related to valves and valve guide clearances that generally shows up around 4000 miles.

Ford Engineers have met with some owners directly.

The customer who purchased two 2015 super duties that are both heavy haulers and used in ranch work, with one having the issue one not having the issue:

"He reviewed the data logs off our truck and did confirm that there is a problem occurring during regen (even though the cleaning exhaust filter message never displayed during any of the captured events).

I had a lengthy discussion with Mitch, the service manager and the owner of our dealer. The engineer has confirmed that there is NO fix and Ford does not know exactly what is causing the problem.

He indicated that we could pursue replacing valves or left head assembly on our truck but it would only be a "temporary" fix and the problem will reoccur.

He stated they were several trucks in which they have replaced the entire motor and the problem still returned.

He said they are working on some type of a programming/calibration update to be released "sometime" in 2016 but still couldn't guarantee me that it would solve the issue!

Basically, it's a problem, Ford knows it's a problem and there is no guaranteed fix or timeline for a fix"

If your engine valves have the issue, it will occur when you tow and don't tow and regardless of the way you drive your truck.

Only thing that may fix it is to have the complete left head assembly replaced and hope you get a new one with acceptable manufacturing tolerance levels. Make sure you get a complete assembled head assembly.

Any PCM reprogramming fix to resolve the issue in 2nd quarter 2016 is wishful thinking. It may try to mask the engine valve defect, but will never fix it.

Many of us have been slow rolled By Ford and yes this will hurt the resale value of your truck.

When buying a new 2015 / 2016 Super Duty it is recommended you have a firm understanding with the Sales Manager on how they will address your problem in service should you be one of the unfortunate ones to get an engine with the valve quality tolerance defect.

It is still a superb truck, and you should still buy one if you want one but you should be prepared to accept the risk that your engine may have valves that are out of quality tolerance levels and you will be on your own without the support of your dealer to help you get Ford to buy the truck back. It is unfortunate after a year on the 2015s that Ford has not issued a recall to address this issue.

The only thing that will support that is that if you have had an issue towing or not towing in traffic, and your valves have jackhammered in regeneration with the truck losing power, you should promptly document each occurrence of the issue on the NHTSB site for them to investigate the issue on behalf of all owners.

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

The repair order below is from a 2015 owner who was fortunate to get Ford to replace the entire left head of his engine. After 11,000 miles, for this customer, the fix has thankfully been successful.

This repair order has had several thousand views on other forums.
RBwvjPo.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yep, that the corraberation on that repair order I was referring to in my reply to a members question in New Member Intro
I do know Nchighcountry. I have been following his case for sometime now.
I have communicated via the net and have spoken with him in length on the phone as well on more than one occasion. I know him to be an honest and genuine person with one of these very real regen shake cases.
He has been given a serious run around slow roll as many others have.
Nchighcountry has been in the info loop with over 30 cases around the country as many owners felt comfortable discussing their cases with him on and or off the forum as many owners were accused of not even being real people with real cases.
NChighcountry has been reaching out to these individuals who at best were marginalized. He is honorable and means no ill will. I am glad he is a member here.

Reaction score
Thanks Jason, I believe owners googled the condition and then went straight to The Diesel Stop and Ford Truck Enthusiast forums as they already had threads started. I do hope owners get engines that don't have this condition but they are out there.

Layson

Reaction score
Did you guys post this over on the ford-trucks.com forum? There is a ford rep over there who seems to respond to everyones issues.

CurtisF

Reaction score
These same guys have been trolling other forums spreading partially factual, and mostly mis-informative thread after thread on this.

The actual fix is an upcoming calibration update due 1Q 2016. Some tuners have already figured out the fix with slight tweaks.

I'm still waiting for pictures of these valves and pistons that have been slamming up against each other in all these trucks during regen. Odd how none of these pictures have surfaced yet.......

FWIW I can duplicate the issue exactly on my personal truck, and it's not due to valve tolerances as these guys claim. That's why people who get the heads swapped end up with the same thing happening again.

Reaction score
Curtis, nobody is here doing those things.
I have already explained the stiction due to thermal expansion. I also explained how this happens and does not bend the valve due to the geometry used. You have corroborating ford repair order posted.
Wharrell is the owner of one of these trucks.
I'm a diesel and hydro tech business owner with 31 yrs. of professional experience. I do engine failure analysis as well as consults for other pro shops.
I have a earned a stellar reputation and that is not going to change.
Regarding PCM recalibration. It is possible to change the thermal dynamics of the event, yes. Does it change a clearance that is too tight and will change as the escape vent gas builds a normal film on that stem.
Band aid fixes are no Bueno. But may help some owners but it depends how tight they are.

jwalk09

Reaction score
Makes me want to ****** sooner. Haven't heard of anyone with stock trucks on this forum with that problem though

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I'm good, knock on wood 25k miles too... question though. If it starts, will ******** fix the issue? Or will it already be too late?

Reaction score
If you can get past 40k with no issue, it is most likely your guides are ok and will tolerate the thermal expansion and never have an issue, PROVIDED you run really good fuel so the exhaust escape vent gas DOES NOT cause the normal resulting film on stem become more of a "coking" quality film that WILL take up the critical space needed to avoid the thermal stiction.

jwalk09

Reaction score
If you can get past 40k with no issue, it is most likely your guides are ok and will tolerate the thermal expansion and never have an issue, PROVIDED you run really good fuel so the exhaust escape vent gas DOES NOT cause the normal resulting film on stem become more of a "coking" quality film that WILL take up the critical space needed to avoid the thermal stiction.

Didn't really answer his question..

Reaction score
Sorry, what was the question? Will dieting get rid of it? If so, it would need to involve a new PCM strategy that stopped the blast furnacing of those driver's side valves causing the thermal expansion.

**** I do not endorse or recommend: tampering, removing or altering emmision control devises or strategies in any manner or form ******

That aside, it has to be kept in mind that it will not change the fact that the clearance is physically too tight on a some trucks and others ok. There are varying tolerance here between those two thresholds. How tight ones really are is the huge variable. If they are like these in the example Nchighcountry posts that they are so tight that at room temp on the bench, that might be a case where even if he had taken steps that eliminated this exhaust stroke injector firing with its accompanying thermal expansion with the resulting stiction, it would still be vulnernerable to stiction over time with that normal stem film building up a bit over time thru periodically seeing less than the best fuel, coupled with the engine living at relatively low rpms thru all those gears the 6.7 has. This would be a case wear wear in rate was lower than stem film build up rate. It really depends on how tight they are, the thermal expansion event, quality of fuel, ect.

Last edited:

sledhead_24_7

Reaction score
So if this is a rampant issue with the 15/16MY? Why are only some having the issue? Not calling any one out, just asking...

So far, "knock on wood" my 15 has been solid, 28,000 miles so far, and stock in the motor, exhaust dept.

Jomax

Reaction score
Sorry, what was the question? Will dieting get rid of it?

Main question was, if I start having the issue. And the valves stick. Will ******** it fix the issue. Or Will it be too late and even if I ****** it. I will still need to replace the head.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
if its only happening during regen, then get rid of the regen process... problem solved...

live life full throttle

Seems to be the fix lol. Would you call me weird that I like how it's quiet and has no smell, etc?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
These same guys have been trolling other forums spreading partially factual, and mostly mis-informative thread after thread on this.

The actual fix is an upcoming calibration update due 1Q 2016. Some tuners have already figured out the fix with slight tweaks.

I'm still waiting for pictures of these valves and pistons that have been slamming up against each other in all these trucks during regen. Odd how none of these pictures have surfaced yet.......

FWIW I can duplicate the issue exactly on my personal truck, and it's not due to valve tolerances as these guys claim. That's why people who get the heads swapped end up with the same thing happening again.
so you mean to tell me that the reported noises, that sound like valves getting hammered by the pistons and pushrods, are electrical/tuning issues and not mechanical at all? even after a complete head assembly is swapped out and the issues doesn't come back or take a while to return? that tells me its mechanical, not electrical... but if tweaks in the tunning will get rid of it, how come it aint done already?

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online