38R issues

fastersteve

Reaction score
So I just pulled the 2nd consecutive 38R OIL LEAKER off my truck.

I like the turbo, but not enough to change it every 6-8 months. Anyone else have this experience? What's the secret password to get a good one?

Powerstroker7.3

Reaction score
I have had one. My dad had one and my brother had one and none of them had any problems

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whytry

Reaction score
Yep I have 2 that do it, I swapped stock charger back on and problem went away. Only option is to do a t4 mount turbo. I had mine sent back to Garrett probably 4 times and every time they said nothing was wrong. Still leaks oil

Layson

Reaction score
I had one resealed by Garret. They fixed the problem but now it leaks out of the top center bolt....LOL

sootie

Reaction score
what is everybody's ccv solution for those that have leaky turbos?

sounds to me that there may be some restriction there causing oil to get pushed past the turbo seal.

fastersteve

Reaction score
They warranted the 1st one, waiting to see what they say about this one.

Layson, how much did they charge you to reseal it? The top center bolt is pipe thread, just tighten it a little more, or is that the pressure relief to keep from blowing out the seals?

fastersteve

Reaction score

sounds to me that there may be some restriction there causing oil to get pushed past the turbo seal.

Separate issues. Both of mine leaked from the shaft seals, only pressure it gets is LPO.

fastersteve

Reaction score
CCV oil would be from blow by, turbo dumping oil down the exhaust means the seal in the turbo is gone.
LPO would be like your blood pressure, CCV would be fart gas...

sootie

Reaction score
CCV oil would be from blow by, turbo dumping oil down the exhaust means the seal in the turbo is gone.
LPO would be like your blood pressure, CCV would be fart gas...

i get what you are saying, in theory, but there have been members on here that have had turbo seals leaking and solved it by venting ccv to atmosphere.

fastersteve

Reaction score
Yes, they were talking about oil residue in the CAC tubing from blow by.

The turbo is lubricated with LPO from the oil pump, once those seals leak NOTHING in the CCV will fix that. I have a turbo leaking from the shaft seals.

Pepto Bismol won't fix an open cut...

sootie

Reaction score
Yes, they were talking about oil residue in the CAC tubing from blow by.

no-thats not what they were talking about but anyways...carry on.

The turbo is lubricated with LPO from the oil pump, once those seals leak NOTHING in the CCV will fix that. I have a turbo leaking from the shaft seals.

Pepto Bismol won't fix an open cut...

see red

Layson

Reaction score
They warranted the 1st one, waiting to see what they say about this one.

Layson, how much did they charge you to reseal it? The top center bolt is pipe thread, just tighten it a little more, or is that the pressure relief to keep from blowing out the seals?

It was a favor someone sent it in for me. LOL.

It seems like there have been a lot of leaky ones. Maybe crank pressure but man you never used to see these problems. I even heard that Garret sent out quite a few that would leak from the start....LOL that is rumorville though...

Layson

Reaction score
Definitely check your CCV and make sure it isn't plugged.....

fastersteve

Reaction score
Nope, CCV not plugged at all...

And from the oil filler cap test, normal amount of blowby.

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score

mine leaked when i tried a catch can and to atmosphere. only solution was to keep it plumbed into the intake.. no more issues what so ever for around 80k now..
Sootie is referring to the fact that if crankcase pressures are too high, oil starts to push past the seals
EXACTLY

the oil drain dumps directly into the block so if cc pressure gets hi then it pushes oil either out the compressor or turbine seals...

live life full throttle

fastersteve

Reaction score
mine leaked when i tried a catch can and to atmosphere. only solution was to keep it plumbed into the intake.. no more issues what so ever for around 80k now..

EXACTLY

the oil drain dumps directly into the block so if cc pressure gets hi then it pushes oil either out the compressor or turbine seals...

live life full throttle

Interesting, I must've missed that thread.

CCV run through an oil separator then into the intake, but definitely not plugged. Checked it this past weekend after swapping turbos.

FlatbedCowboy

Reaction score
I think KC turbos is making a re-buidable 38R with a ball bearing. I don't know anything other than that about KC or the turbo or anything

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.