38R issues

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Interesting, I must've missed that thread.

CCV run through an oil separator then into the intake, but definitely not plugged. Checked it this past weekend after swapping turbos.
have you pulled the dog house off and looked inside? has its own filter media in it. possibly plugged there too.. i forgot to mention that i ran a hose from the catch can back into my intake tube and that didnt help either. had to go back to oem... bean has mentioned it many times that 38r's are very sensitive to cc pressure.. try plumbing it back like stock and i bet it will clear up after a few miles once the oil is burnt out of the exhaust..
I think KC turbos is making a re-buidable 38R with a ball bearing. I don't know anything other than that about KC or the turbo or anything
say whaaaaaat?

live life full throttle

psduser1

Reaction score
have you pulled the dog house off and looked inside? has its own filter media in it. possibly plugged there too.. i forgot to mention that i ran a hose from the catch can back into my intake tube and that didnt help either. had to go back to oem... bean has mentioned it many times that 38r's are very sensitive to cc pressure.. try plumbing it back like stock and i bet it will clear up after a few miles once the oil is burnt out of the exhaust..

say whaaaaaat?

live life full throttle

Mine is to a catch can, and back to the intake, but the stock doghouse is empty:thumbsup:
Well over 100k, no problems.
The 01 is thru beans setup, no problems over about 60k.
The ex ccv is all stock, with no problems. Very little blowby, though, and only about 500 mi on the turbo.
All 38r s.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Mine is to a catch can, and back to the intake, but the stock doghouse is empty
Well over 100k, no problems.
The 01 is thru beans setup, no problems over about 60k.
The ex ccv is all stock, with no problems. Very little blowby, though, and only about 500 mi on the turbo.
All 38r s.
sweet

live life full throttle

fastersteve

Reaction score

live life full throttle

There was a decent amount of airflow coming out where it connects to the intake tube, comparable to what comes out of the oil fill cap. I'm having difficulty believing it's plugged.

The oil separator does catch some oil, but not all, so I still have residue in the intake tubes.

So you're saying it (38R) could stop leaking? It wasn't a huge leak but would start puffing blue smoke after idling for several minutes and when I look through the exhaust side impeller I see oil residue.

I'm bored with changing turbos, I'd hate to put it back on just to find it keeps leaking...

And it's 2 months out of warranty, of course.

jngreen

Reaction score
I have heard that most garrett ball bearing turbos require a restrictor orifice so that they don't get full oil pressure. I have always wondered why the 38r's do not. I can only assume that ball bearings don't require as much oil and maybe they seal them up a little more loosely just to act as an overpressure relief of sorts.

psduser1

Reaction score
I have heard that most garrett ball bearing turbos require a restrictor orifice so that they don't get full oil pressure. I have always wondered why the 38r's do not. I can only assume that ball bearings don't require as much oil and maybe they seal them up a little more loosely just to act as an overpressure relief of sorts.

As I understand it, the oil restrictor is integral to the center housing.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
There was a decent amount of airflow coming out where it connects to the intake tube, comparable to what comes out of the oil fill cap. I'm having difficulty believing it's plugged.

The oil separator does catch some oil, but not all, so I still have residue in the intake tubes.

So you're saying it (38R) could stop leaking? It wasn't a huge leak but would start puffing blue smoke after idling for several minutes and when I look through the exhaust side impeller I see oil residue.

I'm bored with changing turbos, I'd hate to put it back on just to find it keeps leaking...

And it's 2 months out of warranty, of course.
sounds exactly how mine was.. plum it back to oem....

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Damn! That would be cool if it fixed it...

I'm REALLY over swapping turbos on this truck!
i hear ya. if Garrett says they are ok then id leave the ccv plumbing in stock form..

that is exactly the issue i told bean i had and first thing he said was leave the ccv plumbed stock.. didn't even ask if i had it re routed.. i said huh? how did you know it wasn't? he said it is very easy to push through the seals and they are a strong lil turbo. i said well ok then and i do have it to a catch can.. he said it should fix it. and bam.. no more haze at idle..

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online