4" or 5" exhaust ?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
There will be no performance gain from 4" to 5" with your setup. You will just notice a change in exhaust tone.

I like the sound of 4" with muffler for a daily driver. 5" sounds cool, but you normally get some serious in cab drone.

Reaction score
There will be no performance gain from 4" to 5" with your setup. You will just notice a change in exhaust tone.

I like the sound of 4" with muffler for a daily driver. 5" sounds cool, but you normally get some serious in cab drone.
Interesting, the guy who bought my 96 put a 5" on it, and it is definitely quieter in cab than 4" with 2 resonators was, wish I had done it a long time ago. Sounds better too

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
Interesting, the guy who bought my 96 put a 5" on it, and it is definitely quieter in cab than 4" with 2 resonators was, wish I had done it a long time ago. Sounds better too

06-6.0l, studded, reworked heads, egr ******, blue spring mod, 6.4 banjos, dummy plugs, stand pipe, upgraded stc fitting, New oil cooler, New ipr, New icp, atlas 40 FICM, stage 1 powermax, and Looney wild, 325/65R18

I have been in 3 or 4 5" exhaust trucks. Straight pipe 5" vs. straight pipe 4" is a big difference to me. In cab drone seems to be much more pronounced on the 5". Maybe the 4" exhaust you had was rubbing somewhere? Or maybe the 4" kits I have experienced are different.

cbf9703

Reaction score
I have both 4" and 5" and have done both straight piped and muffler. My personal prefernce is the 4" with muffler for my DD. My 4" has a 5" tip and my 5" exhaust has a 6" tip. Both are full exhaust, exiting at the rear of the truck. The 5" is noticeably louder and has more of a drone than my 4" which isn't bad in town, but is noticeable on long highway trips.

From my experience, the tip you choose and the exhaust angle/where you dump will change the noise level in the cab as well as muffler/resonator adjusting the drone/sound. Obviously, axle dump or side exit with a 4" may be louder in cab than a full 5".

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I have both 4" and 5" and have done both straight piped and muffler. My personal prefernce is the 4" with muffler for my DD. My 4" has a 5" tip and my 5" exhaust has a 6" tip. Both are full exhaust, exiting at the rear of the truck. The 5" is noticeably louder and has more of a drone than my 4" which isn't bad in town, but is noticeable on long highway trips.

From my experience, the tip you choose and the exhaust angle/where you dump will change the noise level in the cab as well as muffler/resonator adjusting the drone/sound. Obviously, axle dump or side exit with a 4" may be louder in cab than a full 5".

Very good point here.

Smokin 6.0

Reaction score
I don't believe in axle dumps anyway I don't think they look very good and I hate the thought of soot all over the back of my truck

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
turndown tips will quiet them down.. i had a 5" dpb on my dually and had a lil drone.. put a turndown on it angled down and back some and you would have thought i put a muffler on it.

it is now a stack in the bed.. lots of drone now.. lol

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

psduser1

Reaction score
turndown tips will quiet them down.. i had a 5" dpb on my dually and had a lil drone.. put a turndown on it angled down and back some and you would have thought i put a muffler on it.

it is now a stack in the bed.. lots of drone now.. lol

live life full throttle

Ahh, it was pretty quiet yesterday....
Jim has a pic for you, as well.:D

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ahh, it was pretty quiet yesterday....
Jim has a pic for you, as well.:D
lol.. can't imagine... i told him if he needed to drive it, then drive her hard... thats the way she likes it and always has.. wont do anything to her that i haven't unless he totals it...

live life full throttle

D66stroke

Reaction score
I've always liked how 4" with a long 6" tip sounded, sounds perfect. High pitched crack at certain RPM's. I hate tips but I'm about to pull my 5" and go back to 4 with a tip. Seems hard to get the perfect sound out of a 7.3

cbf9703

Reaction score
I don't believe in axle dumps anyway I don't think they look very good and I hate the thought of soot all over the back of my truck
Soot all over the back of the truck from an axle dump? Side exit before or after the tire, definitely had soot issues, but it's never been an issue for me with an axle dump. Always pointed down- they echo off the road more than a straight exit (and closer to the cab making them louder), but I've never had issues with soot all over the truck. :shrug:

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

7.3obs

Reaction score
I put a 5 inch exhaust on my work truck. The in cab drone is a bit much. Nothing like dual 6 inch stacks on my other truck though. I'll never learn :doh:

If I was to do it again I'd go with a 4 inch.

02BigD

Reaction score
I enjoy being heard .75 mile away with headers and 5" exhaust.

Drone can be rough depending on speed while towing. Just makes the radio volume go up...

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.