4 shallows

GregW

Reaction score
There's a thread on the org with 4 Kicker 10's in a crew cab

Reaction score
I have not picked a sub . I like the jl 13.5, but I dont know if I should tell you I want sound quality because is that possible with four? I want it but can I get it? So Ive thought about 2 10s and 2 12s for more response? Any link to the org thread? I searched and was not sucessful. I can't find boxes to buy either so I assume at this point this is all custom. I was thinking about trying RF shallows and just go from there to see whats possible as I dont find many setups like this in searching the web. Anyone know of some good audio forums that may have experience in this? My searching for a livly out of the box audio forum has come up dry also. Id just hate to know I spent 2500 on subs when i could of got the same result with p3s or something.

Zmann

Reaction score
i was pretty sure you could run multi full depth 10's but anything larger had to be shallow ?
I run two interlocking behind the seat boxes one with a 10 full depth non ported and one SPL2K with a Shallow 12 ported to cover more range

Reaction score
How do you like that zmann? Does it mesh together well? edit: the sound of the 2 woofers that is.

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
Unbroken is the man to talk to about sound systems...he has messed with just about everything.... sound quality is what you are after.... crisp and clean sounds so much better than just crappy noise

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
i was pretty sure you could run multi full depth 10's but anything larger had to be shallow ?
I run two interlocking behind the seat boxes one with a 10 full depth non ported and one SPL2K with a Shallow 12 ported to cover more range

To cover more range?
I don't even know how to respond to that. The fact is running 2 different size subs is almost at the top of the list for bad car audio decisions.
The only possible result from that is noise.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
How do you like that zmann? Does it mesh together well? edit: the sound of the 2 woofers that is.

No. No it didn't.
It's literally impossible to tune with any accuracy.
I can do more with a single sub all day long than a mismatched pair.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I have not picked a sub . I like the jl 13.5, but I dont know if I should tell you I want sound quality because is that possible with four? I want it but can I get it? So Ive thought about 2 10s and 2 12s for more response? Any link to the org thread? I searched and was not sucessful. I can't find boxes to buy either so I assume at this point this is all custom. I was thinking about trying RF shallows and just go from there to see whats possible as I dont find many setups like this in searching the web. Anyone know of some good audio forums that may have experience in this? My searching for a livly out of the box audio forum has come up dry also. Id just hate to know I spent 2500 on subs when i could of got the same result with p3s or something.

You need to be honest with yourself. 4 of any sub is for nothing more than volume. A SQ based system would use no more than two and preferably one.
Neither is wrong...just make sure you build what you really want.
There's not much space back there either. My enclosure is 3/4" void free Baltic birch and we managed an honest 1.25ft^3 sealed for a single Illusion Audio Carbon C12....which is hands down the best "shallow" sub on the market. It's more like a full size sub it just uses an inverted motor structure so it's only a few inches deep.
Anyway...you might find 1.5ft^3 but not much more. You're gonna be hard pressed to find four decent subs that will work in a space that small. Two subs in the right size enclosure will outperform four in a small enclosure all day long.
Car audio is a science....not just cramming in whatever will fit.

scparrish

Reaction score
You can get 2 cubes but that is the absolute limit. You can get several 8s in that. Just because you run several subs doesn't mmea it can't sound good and loud, it just won't be pure sq, which you may not be looking for anyway.

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I don't see 2 cubes in a truck with power slider and crap back there....not with any room left for driver displacement and excursion.

I didn't mean to imply multiple subs can't sound good....you just can't tune them up front in a true SQ system. That's why I asked the OP to be honest with himself with what he wants.

I like my sub bass out on the hood with everything else....most people have never even heard anything like that. If I can pinpoint a drivers location it's a tuning fail to me. I compete in SQ though so I'm biased.
I dig the SPL builds....just not my style.

Latest posts

Members online