4 shallows

BK39

Reaction score
I have not picked a sub . I like the jl 13.5.................................

IF you are just the average guy, that isn't trying to build a competition sound system, just want something to make some noise and sound good............2 of those JL subs would be pretty cool. I have 1 in my truck, and I'm more than happy with it.

For a shallow sub, I am really impressed with it.

Zmann

Reaction score
How do you like that zmann? Does it mesh together well? edit: the sound of the 2 woofers that is.

I like the noise it makes just fine just fine ;-)
i wasn't trying to impress any audiophile snobs when I put it together
and I didn't ask for any responses from one now :thumbsup:

it didn't cost a lot and it was built over time
the main system was the SPL2k box and the Rockford woofer /Amp the fun part was picking them up from him in Havasu
nothing high end it's mostly a work truck

the 10 is fed from another 5 channel that also feeds all the door speakers

the slider motor can be moved without issue it's the seat belt on the 08 up that makes a challenge for them IMO

this guys boxes are ok nothing special but on the sperduty if you don't want to build your own or jack up the seat they work fine http://www.spl2k.com/superduty112.html

Last edited:

02bigstrokin

Reaction score
If I were choosing slim subs for my truck the w3 slim line sounds way better then the tw5 any day of the week. I personally heard two 13.5 tw5 in a custom box built to spec and that's what made me decide to do my bucket seat conversion and build a console for my 13w7. The tw5 13's got loud but no depth at all. the tw3 weren't out yet when I was looking. Since I have heard two in a crew cab Duramax and I was impressed to say the least. Night and day from tw5 series. Now that being said, I have not personally heard the illusion brand like unbroken runs, but he knows way more about this stuff then most do and has actually used multiple different sub brands to be able to make the statements he does. Most people just haven't heard of some of the brands because they aren't mainstream names.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I like the noise it makes just fine just fine ;-)
i wasn't trying to impress any audiophile snobs when I put it together
and I didn't ask for any responses from one now

If you post on an open forum you automatically invite responses from whoever feels like posting. Your suggestion to combine two different size subs is horrible and I'm not gonna sugar coat that crap to make it smell better.
I could post the technical reasons that it's a terrible idea and also post how I bet I can take one of those subs and make it sound better and likely hit harder but you don't wanna hear that.
So....enjoy what you have, just don't try to sell it as an option for someone else. Its a plain old bad idea.

Zmann

Reaction score
ya I get that open forum will invite some to reply even when none was required

my statement was that a shallow twelve will fit and i have a full depth 10 so those fit fine as well ( read it and understand the intent )

somehow you decided to go full snob and give your input on how it sounds from across the country ? I never mentioned he should run two varied subs did I ?

remember this is a work truck and it's what I had from other systems
it sounds better than it did before I added them and I was never looking to get the system in truckin lowrider magazine

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
You can get as defensive as you like....I couldn't possibly care any less.
And yes, I can safely say I know what it sounds like from across the country. I've seen similar mistakes many times.

You said this:

I run two interlocking behind the seat boxes one with a 10 full depth non ported and one SPL2K with a Shallow 12 ported to cover more range

One, it could be read to imply this is a good idea. Two, it could be read to imply you know wtf you're talking about with the "more range" statement.
Both are wrong and now you're getting defensive and insulting after I point out for the OP's benefit that it's a bad idea.
Again, enjoy what you have and try to relax, it's Christmas.

Oh...FYI....Truckin isn't a lowrider magazine. They run 4wd stuff every month too.

Zmann

Reaction score
i still think truckin is a lowrider truck magazine
maybe they have some lifted trucks without front drive shafts or ridiculous bolt on abominations IDK?? ;-) i stopped reading them a long time ago when the models kept getting uglier LOL

and like I said you may say you don't care but you sure keep on commenting ?

I stated what I run not suggestion what someone should run
some freak out at the mention of varied subs but plenty implement them with satisfactory results I am one of those people and your " tech reasoning as to why it can't work doesn't really mean much when you have no idea how it sounds and what the design is

so keep on truckin

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.discountmags.com%2Fshopimages%2Fproducts%2Fnormal%2Fextra%2Fi%2F5604-1415203918-truckin.jpg

Last edited:

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Whatever man. There's a thousand technical reasons to not run different size subs and exactly zero to run them. Carry on.

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
3/4" MDF is the industry standard. I like to seal it especially behind the seat of a truck with a slider. Any moisture at all can ruin MDF.
I use void free Baltic birch plywood....mostly for the weight savings but also the moisture resistance.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
If I were choosing slim subs for my truck the w3 slim line sounds way better then the tw5 any day of the week. I personally heard two 13.5 tw5 in a custom box built to spec and that's what made me decide to do my bucket seat conversion and build a console for my 13w7. The tw5 13's got loud but no depth at all. the tw3 weren't out yet when I was looking. Since I have heard two in a crew cab Duramax and I was impressed to say the least. Night and day from tw5 series. Now that being said, I have not personally heard the illusion brand like unbroken runs, but he knows way more about this stuff then most do and has actually used multiple different sub brands to be able to make the statements he does. Most people just haven't heard of some of the brands because they aren't mainstream names.

agreed. my shallow 10tw3's are WAY better than the 13tw5 . in one truck i have 2 , in the other i have 3. the truck with 3 sounds WAY better , it also has 2 sets of components to fill the sound better, maybe thats part of it.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Whatever man. There's a thousand technical reasons to not run different size subs and exactly zero to run them. Carry on.

I was a sponsored audio competitor for years, you're completely on point. Not a good idea and a complete waist of money and time to do two different sized subs. And I tried it once just to prove those who said it was a bad idea wrong. They were right and I waisted a lot of time and money being dead wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimdawg185

Reaction score
3/4" MDF is the industry standard. I like to seal it especially behind the seat of a truck with a slider. Any moisture at all can ruin MDF.
I use void free Baltic birch plywood....mostly for the weight savings but also the moisture resistance.

Again, as a former competitor, I agree emphatically!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
I took this year off but will be competing again in 2016. MECA Mod Street.
I retired from Street undefeated....somehow. lol

Zmann

Reaction score
I agree there is a thousand technical reasons 2 varied sized subs isn't ideal
and i paid attention to non of them

I know for a fact not because of a technical document that
A my truck had no sub from the factory so even with one of mine it sounded better
when I added the second for the hell of it I was pleased so I left it

no one can tell me the system I am listening to sounds bad because of a book

and I will guarantee you not one of those technical documents/reasons take in to account
the carpet/hardboard/foam/springs/leather that you put directly in front of the rear speakers of a Superduty that is retaining the rear seat

do I doubt your capabilities to build an ideal system ? no and I never have

do i stand by what I was trying to relay to the OP when he was asking about 10's ? no a full size will fit

now back to the regular scheduled program 3/4 MDF it is

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
Sub bass sound waves are measured in feet… Everything you listed in front of the sub makes absolutely zero difference in the output of the sub. That is not an opinion, that is a fact and it's not open for discussion. For about the third or fourth time, if you're happy with it then rock on.
Let me go ahead and put a stop to your next post where you say it gets louder when you drop the seats. No, it doesn't when you drop the seats you're hearing: noise, distortion and our panel vibrations. What you're not hearing is the sub getting louder like most people think.

Zmann

Reaction score
and I am not wrong

because I am sure there is more coming out of them then pure bass

LOL

now I will continue to rock on in a work truck that has a much better than stock system
but didn't break any banks and doesn't entice any criminal element
and won't be in any eye candy magazine

Latest posts

Members online