6.0 coolant puking. Did i get lucky?

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
The other day I popped the hood after about a 30 mile drive and found that coolant was puking. By "puking" I mean more like 1 small leak out of the front of the cap. The truck has 180 k on the engine and is fresh off a egr delete and head studs (2000 miles on the repair) that were done right before I bought it. I know the shop that did the repair, and they did get the heads machined, but I do know that, unfortunately, black onyx gaskets were used. Today we put on the cap off of my dad's 05 and did some normal driving along with a few wot runs (after the truck was warm of course) and there was no leaking at all. Did I just get lucky and is it just a cap? or should I expect some more "puking" in the future?

Any info is appreciated. Thank you

F-250-Owner

Reaction score
when was the gaskets done? there are updated VR gaskets out now.... I dont think they go by Black Onyx anymore though. I would just keep an eye on it and make sure the coolant is at the correct level. Do you have the updated coolant tank on it with the correct fill line? Start by buying a new cap and giving your dads back......

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
Head gaskets were done 2000 miles ago. It was a sinister kit. It was done right before I bought the truck. I would have liked to have done it myself but I felt I couldnt pass up the deal at under $10,000... The cap is already back on the other truck and mine is sitting until I can get a new cap. I'm almost positive it is the original tank still. Where would one aquire the new tank with the correct min/max lines?

And thank you sir

F-250-Owner

Reaction score
the minimum line on the old tank is the max it should be filled to. I would ask the shop what the gaskets looked like.... the old ones were coated entirely in black, the new ones look just like oem, but with black instead of blue on them in the same places

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
Yes the oil cooler was replaced. And my original cap was the one with the white sticker. The updated one I assume came on the 05 and up trucks. The cap that I put on the truck was an all black cap from an 05. I could definitely tell a difference in quality between the two caps. We've had 3 6.0 diesels but i've never seen one puke. Would it be more than the dribble out of the cap in one spot that I described?

Worstenemy453

Reaction score
From the way this is sounding I would go ahead and get the new cap and fill your coolant to the minimum line and watch this not puke anymore. Should be good to go.

Dittmerdiesel

Reaction score
That would be great! If so, I think I may have gotten one of the best deals ever on this truck. Thanks for all your help fellas!

Latest posts

Members online