6.0 long crank

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
A while back I had my head gaskets done and also had some warren 190/stock injectors put in. Ever since then my truck has had cold starting issues. If the truck sits for a day or even over night it cranks for a long time, not matter how hot or cold it is outside, but worse if it's cold, and when it finally starts it puffs a cloud of white. After that doesn't matter how hot it is, it starts as it should. Icp shoots right up over 1000 ficm hold 48-49 volts. I'm thinking maybe an injector o ring or some other high pressure oil leak somewhere. Just wondering if anyone has had this same problem
Thank you.

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
Also when I let off the gas the truck doesn't come down to the normal idle speed for a few seconds, stays closer to 1000
I've ran 3 different custom tuners and it still does all of this on a stock tune.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Is it full of oil? How are you parked when it happens? Is it at all fuel levels?

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
Yes it's full, all different ways mostly flat or a tiny bit of angle in my other driveway,and yes doesn't matter the fuel level

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
What year truck? If its an 04 early or late?

Are the batteries ok? Is it cranking fairly fast or take a while to build to say, 150ish rpm?

Have you checked fuel pressure? Possible drain back issue?

Also could possiboy be glow plug related, any codes?

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
Batteries are new
Doesn't crank very fast, I feel like the starter is maybe a little messed up in some way, after all the work was done and they cranked the truck over a bunch to get it going the starter has always been slower. But turns the truck over ok just a tad slower than before, but has been like this for over 2 years now
I think fuel pressure is fine. just out a regulated return on the truck last weekend
No codes

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok, well this s getting a bit tougher then. It coukd be the starter drawing too much and not allowing full voltage for the glow plugs then. Or something in the accessory drive starting to lock up or something like that.

Not really leaning towards hi pressure issue as you say icp builds quick, and it starts no probkem hot.

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
My buddy was saying I could possibly be my ipr valve. I checks it at wot today and it was right around 2000
Idk what is normal though

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Wot while driving or in park/neutral? Ipr typically wont cause a hard start, it will cause surging at idle or a no start though. I have yet to see one cause what you are describing.

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
While driving. I have a reman starter I bought off eBay for $85 but am too scared to put it in and have it fail on me lol. Guess I'll be buying a new oem starter sometime soon

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
That still wouldn't describe the truck hanging around 1000rpms when I let off the gas though?

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
Truck sat for 15 hours. It was only 70 degrees but it took atleast 15 seconds of cranking for it to start this morning

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Are you letting the glow plug lamp go out prior to cranking? I know mine will not start if i dont wait. I have also had some in the shop that if i wait too long, they wont start till i cycle the key. It may be glow plug related, but without any codes its kinda tough to diagnose.

Also, try unplugging your icp sensor and see if it helps. That is kind of a shot in the dark though.

As for the idle thing, how many miles have you driven the tunes? I know as soon as i switch mine it hangs at about 900-950 but after letting everything relearn, it will come right down to normal idle.

Dalton6.0

Reaction score
Yes, I do. I've tried everything now in the mornings I cycle the key a few times then crank

I'll try that soon maybe sometime this weekend

And I run my tunes for weeks at a time, sometimes months and it never changes.

Just put a new starter in today and I'm gonna see if that helps at all but I doubt it will help much

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok man. Good luck. Sorry icouldnt be more help. Let me know how it goes though. If the starter doesnt help, ill see what else we cant try to figure out.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Can you check your sync/ ficm sync. I wonder if you got a cam or crank sensor on its way out or some wiring that causes the excessive cranking.

Latest posts

Members online