6.0 low base oil pressure concern

webb06

Reaction score
Truck came in with low base oil pressure. Gauge would sometimes show oil pressure and randomly it wouldn't. Truck would still run and drive customer complained of low power though.

Hooked up a manual gauge and it shows less than 5-10 psi at idle. Cold is obviously a bit higher but not much. Popped out the oil filter and held down the drain back valve. Canister fills up like normal and holds the oil. At that point we knew the leak or loss of pressure was somewhere internally and after the lpop.

Dropped the oil pan and found this
58a49347a92109d4b30945bdcb70c212.jpg

Spun a cam bearing out of place. Unfortunately we didn't get to dig any deeper as the customer doesn't have the cash to fix it. Thought this might be a possible cause for anyone searching for this problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atsah

Reaction score
Interesting.. A buddy of mine a few years back had this same issue, he was fed up with it at that point so he lit it on fire and bought a newer truck..

webb06

Reaction score
Interesting.. A buddy of mine a few years back had this same issue, he was fed up with it at that point so he lit it on fire and bought a newer truck..

Like literally on fire?

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
I have a 550 XL that came in with no start hot. Checked the system for leaks and all was well then I noticed it's not filling the oil filter housings very fast and no low pressure oil when hot. But pretty sure it's a lpop issue. The cam bearings are odd normaly they are in very good shape unless the motor had metal go threw it.

webb06

Reaction score
I have a 550 XL that came in with no start hot. Checked the system for leaks and all was well then I noticed it's not filling the oil filter housings very fast and no low pressure oil when hot. But pretty sure it's a lpop issue. The cam bearings are odd normaly they are in very good shape unless the motor had metal go threw it.

We used to see a few lpop problems but here recently haven't had one. People always say it's from lifters coming apart but I've only seen one truck at our shop that way. Any foreign object can cause the scoring.

No clue what caused this cam bearing to come out. I wouldn't mind digging into the engine to find out for certain though.

Zmann

Reaction score
i hope he didn't claim that fire
or we all helped pay for his new truck

Nice find Webb

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Only 2 things I've ever seen tear up an LPOP and that is lifters, which is about 99% of failures, and when we got that bad batch of circlips for injector seals and the collars were grenading and tearing up LPOP.

No other metal debris in this motor?

webb06

Reaction score
Only 2 things I've ever seen tear up an LPOP and that is lifters, which is about 99% of failures, and when we got that bad batch of circlips for injector seals and the collars were grenading and tearing up LPOP.

No other metal debris in this motor?

Not much else. Pulled the pan off and all that was in it was the cam bearing.

Latest posts

Members online