6.4 2.6 pulling truck build

Reaction score
It's a 3.0 charger for the 3.0 class. But as it stands now I'm not sure when I am going to have it. And it's not going on the truck now because of time constraints. It is an hx82 based turbo clipped down to 3.0" inducer.

Reaction score
Well these trucks usually don't go together and stay together as long as this one did. I'm surprised it did so well and didn't give one single fit out of the engine. I've been putting off working on it too long. After the last hook I think it was telling me it's time for some much needed attention.

Really isn't much else we can do to the engine right now. It will be getting a new motor over the winter. But this one needs to hold till then. So it's getting some love. It will look exactly the same and probably run the same too. But right now the truck is doing very well. I would say for sure it's one of, if not, the top 2.6 truck in the central and south central il area or greater. Since the last round of chassis and drive train changes it's hooking way better and putting all the power to the track. I wish it didn't break they way it did the last hook. It would have destroyed every truck there.

The clutch was also coming apart which was another worry too. If I can get one season out of a clutch, like this one did, I am pretty happy.

bricewise

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how would time and money do you think an average competitive puller spends during a single season?

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, how would time and money do you think an average competitive puller spends during a single season?

It's a huge range. Honestly we are on a lower budget than most. Some can range from $80k in a 2.6 truck to 20-30k. Depends on how thrifty and inclined you are. The person who only drives the truck and pays someone else to work on it, is going to have tons more money into it than someone like me. I could never afford it if I didn't do 95% of the work myself. I would say I've got less than $40k in this thing. But I don't keep track and it's always growing.

Besides what the truck initially costs you then have a trailer, a tow vehicle, plus food, fuel and entry fees everywhere you go. Easy $200 minimum to take it anywhere. Then if you have a bad pull like we did last time it can cost $4k in damages. Most I've won in one hook is $1500 which is ok. But you don't take up this hobby to make money. Just like any hobby it's a form of entertainment. Entertainment always costs money.

I've been pulling for over ten years. I know what works and what doesn't for the most part. I don't waste very much money on parts that don't make the truck perform better. And I've got a fair idea what to do and what's the best so I only have to buy it once. A lot of people just replace a broken part with the same part, only new. Some will get a light upgrade or something that someone told them is better. If I break something it gets the best money can buy and I only buy it once.

All that I learned from years of finding out the hard way. One season the big white gas truck ate 13 axles 3 ring & pinions and a few related drive shafts. Until I finally broke down and spent the money and went big on the parts. That was only 2/3 through the season. The last 1/3 I had zero failures. Lesson learned.

Last edited:

bricewise

Reaction score
It's a huge range. Honestly we are on a lower budget than most. Some can range from $80k in a 2.6 truck to 20-30k. Depends on how thrifty and inclined you are. The person who only drives the truck and pays someone else to work on it, is going to have tons more money into it than someone like me. I could never afford it if I didn't do 95% of the work myself. I would say I've got less than $40k in this thing. But I don't keep track and it's always growing.

Besides what the truck initially costs you then have a trailer, a tow vehicle, plus food, fuel and entry fees everywhere you go. Easy $200 minimum to take it anywhere. Then if you have a bad pull like we did last time it can cost $4k in damages. Most I've won in one hook is $1500 which is ok. But you don't take up this hobby to make money. Just like any hobby it's a form of entertainment. Entertainment always costs money.

I've been pulling for over ten years. I know what works and what doesn't for the most part. I don't waste very much money on parts that don't make the truck perform better. And I've got a fair idea what to do and what's the best so I only have to buy it once. A lot of people just replace a broken part with the same part, only new. Some will get a light upgrade or something that someone told them is better. If I break something it gets the best money can buy and I only buy it once.

All that I learned from years of finding out the hard way. One season the big white gas truck ate 13 axles 3 ring & pinions and a few related drive shafts. Until I finally broke down and spent the money and went big on the parts. That was only 2/3 through the season. The last 1/3 I had zero failures. Lesson learned.

I kind of figured there was no way of making the money back you put into it. And thats kind of why I asked. Folks like you doing the work themselves is probably only way to survive in the sport.

Always been curious about it and have been to a few pulls and loved watching but when I see someone like that Colt Parker fellow, who put an Elite Diesel stroker motor in his puller, and before season is up, it catches fire (before this starts ****, i don't know guy, just saw videos on FB, so I'm not saying I know what happened just looked like it costs a few bones). I think to myself thank god my hobbies only cost a quarter of what his do.

Anyways sorry for derail.

dieselflash

Reaction score
The best a puller can hope for is to win enough money to pay for their entry fees, fuel, and food for the weekend of pulling. If you want to make a small fortune pulling you better start with a large fortune.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I just pull for the fun, it's something to do, if you win you win, if not, well you still had fun if you didn't break anything. And if you broke anything, then you have something to keep you busy and time to upgrade at that point

6.4strokin

Reaction score
Also pulling gives you the chance to show case your shop if you have one. If you do good people will start to ask questions or call. Hence why Morgan and most other shops put their shop name and number on their trucks to build a customer base.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stroked777

Reaction score
I ran a windshield banner of the shop that did my studs and cam on my truck for a while until I got a crack in my windshield, apparently he said business improved with more jobs after I ran around with that banner for a while

Reaction score
Little axle work...

pazy6ady.jpg

upu8yje4.jpg

Found this...

y4yqered.jpg

Made these
ra6y9aqu.jpg

Had to go a little farther in than I wanted. That is why the new engine I build this winter will have forged pistons. Cast just can't handle it. On the bright side the bearings looked like they were brand new. But the lifters were shot. So another new set of lifters will go in. Rockers looked swell. Pistons on the top side looked fine as far as heat goes. But they will not be going back in for obvious reasons.

Oh and this arrived
e8esasus.jpg

8y4u7uja.jpg

Latest posts

Members online