6.4 Mini max issues

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Ok I have a 2010 6.4 that I have had ******d with my mini max for over a year and half... It is an actual off-road tuner, and have changed tunes numerous times with no issues... Well I tried to change tunes yesterday, it completed and said to start vehicle. Upon attempting to start I had a no start and then the PATS system completely locked it down. Had a no crank and the obd port was blocked, so I carried it to the dealer. They had trouble getting connected but finally got it unlocked, so I tried to retune again only to be locked out again. They unlocked it again this morning and I returned it to completely stock, then removed sd card and updated it from h&s. Then I attempted to update firmware and it said it could not update because the current firmware on tuner was newer than what I was trying to load into it... Makes no sense because I have not updated in at least a year... I have spoke with idk how many people who have no idea what's going on... Not going to name names but it was narrowed down to tcm fried when I originally tuned yesterday. So I got another tcm installed it and retuned, it completed install and said to start. Attempted to start and still no start even using jumper wire, and once again I'm locked out... Anybody at all have any stinking clue what's going on with this! ! ! !

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Unlocked again at dealer, need another programmer to try out and see if it works...

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Got another mini max, returned it to stock with old tuner and tried to load new tune with different tuner and PATS locked it up again..... This crap is getting old... Anybody have any clues?

WILD_PHIL

Reaction score
Damn Jake. Sorry to hear you're having issues. Hope you get it worked out. This truck is zf6 also isn't it?

E99 F350/zf6/guages/arp/comp/stellite/ billet wheel/ bellowed... Need more fuel and more air.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Not that I'm aware of, I've had it nearly 2 years and only had 47k when i bought it, this new tuner does more after PATS kicks in than my old tuner would... Old tuner won't do anything at all, new tuner still let's you get to the menu and check codes... It's throwing the u2050 which is PATS... Plus when all this happened the other day the old tuner quit showing the h&s image on the screen when it powered up....

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
man, that's not a good sign on the old tuner :(

did you replace the HDMI and the OBD-II block? just to rule chit out...

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
I did replace the hdmi cable after the 2nd or 3rd time, then yesterday when I returned to stock I used the obd block and cable that was with the new tuner...

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I'd pay attention to the two main harnesses running in the driver fender well area. Well, you can see them from there. See if you can find any evidence of chaffing/rubbing.

If not, you might go ahead and re-seat the connectors. They're a PITA unless you have bird arms. I don't have big hands or arms, and they're still a PITA for me :(

you might re-seat the connectors at the PCM on the firewall for good measure.

man, push comes to shove, you might swap a cluster in it. if you cycle power to the cluster (unplug it), you will have to reprogram PATS again. perhaps the cluster is flaking and losing power during the programming cycle?

I bought a non-PATS cluster off of ebay, I just haven't had time to try to install it at a convenient time where I have an IDS on hand. Toggling the "enable PATS" setting in MCC doesn't do anything. What I HAVEN'T tried, is disabling PATS in the tune and then jumping the trigger wire! I keep meaning to, but, again, it's a PITA to have to reprogram PATS as you're aware.

And my to do list far outweighs my to try list right now. I just haven't had time to try all the fun stuff I want to try :(

Good luck with it man, it's ****ing maddening when an electrical gremlin grounds you

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
It's just odd all this happened all because of a retune.... I'll know more tomorrow after I get it unlocked again....

Yes both keys..... The first time it happened it wiped the keys and had to reprogram them. But the last several times they have been fine....

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Ok I had the PATS unlocked again yesterday... I hooked the new tuner up again with updated sd card, changed vehicle in tuner, updated firmware, and tried to tune... As soon as it asks if it's an auto trans get this wether you select yes or no it does not matter...

57f09a4bf07125c62dc759e100c969a6.jpg

So I go to show settings in the menu and it shows this... GM vin and for a LML 6.6 and tune not installed... It came of my buddies Chevy and he bought the tuner new...

8e4dc9babb0c250e1e231488a7d6c694.jpg

sootie

Reaction score
I assume you have already Gone to menu>change vehicle and select 08-10 6.4. Then go menu< install download?

Jonnydime

Reaction score
It should crank no matter what when you use the wire on the passenger side fender. If it doesn't crank then I would say you have other issues.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
it's not talking to the PCM. when you first go to load it, it communicates with the PCM and retrieves the VIN and strategy. If the PCM is sending zeros to the cluster as a VIN, it might kick a security issue due to VIN mismatch?

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
it's not talking to the PCM. when you first go to load it, it communicates with the PCM and retrieves the VIN and strategy. If the PCM is sending zeros to the cluster as a VIN, it might kick a security issue due to VIN mismatch?
with the old tuner it wasn't kicking the PATS until it finished loading and said to start vehicle... It still has all the correct info showing in it...

sent from the best place on earth! TEXAS!

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
I'm going to try one more thing this morning and if it works I'm gonna be pissed that it was that simple....LOL

sent from the best place on earth! TEXAS!

Latest posts

Members online