6.4 rattle driving me nuts!

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
Can any of you power stroke guru's identify this rattle/ light knock. 2008 f250 Its only noticeable just off idle or beginning of throttle tip in. It sounds like garbage and maybe it's me but I think it's getting worse. To me it almost sounds like the infamous 5.4 triton cam phaser rattle. Either way truck is all stock with 83k miles. Oil changed every 5k with rottela 15w40 and motorcraft filters. Fuel filters changed recently as well. If there is a problem I justt wanna nip it in the bud before I hit the 100k warranty cutout.
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w142/soldierboydaniels/IMG_0241.mp4

Spatel23

Reaction score
I cant really tell if its normal injector rattle or not.

Id get it looked over, since you cant scan it for codes and are still under warranty.

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
I'm gonna try and get it in this week. I'm in South Carolina until next month so I will be at the mercy of whatever dealership is here.

rlpzzz

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, does your cruise control still work? My truck just started making the same rattle and now my cruise control quit working.

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
It still works as of Saturday afternoon. I did notice though it seemed a little touchy maintaining speed though, almost jerky.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
had one rattle, it ended up being one of the thermostats totally crapped out. it's been so long ago i forget exactly what it sounded like but you may get lucky and it be something simple.

a_moore

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing. It had a brand new hpfp installed by Ford in warranty. Ido not remember the first pump making that noise, but it could have. The new pump has made it for the last 30K miles.

I am not sure it is the pump, but when the original one took a dump it made similar noises, but so severe that I thought for sure the engine was blown.

Let me know what they determine

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
So... Went by to check on my truck. Service manager says "you have deep valve train noise and we need to go into the engine" but, then tells me they don't want to work on my truck because it's not a fleet truck that thy sold. Handed me my keys and a copy of my oasis and tells me to get it fixed else where pretty much. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340389414.240855.jpg

Spatel23

Reaction score
Well at least they told you instead of taking it and letting it sit in the lot. Then finally getting to it and doing a crappy job. LOL

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
As you Can see on the oasis that 8,000 miles ago(right before I bought truck) there was warranty work done due HPFP issues and a overfull condition, the top of the engine was went into then. It's been no time since ford performed those repairs, I'm just worried when I get it home some douch bag service manager is gonna try and screw me outta my warranty.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
My truck sounds like it is making the same noise. I recall mine doing this the entire time I have owned it but it drives me nuts too. Very disappointing to have an engine be so unrefined. Maybe I will go check mine at the dealership since they will let me use their equipment.

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
It is very disappointing, And embarrassing when I am coming through the gate on post I always get weird looks and comments.

powerstrokedub

Reaction score
I just re-listened to your video and mine doesn't quite sound like that but still the injector rattle is enough to drive you crazy. I hope you get it figured out though!

gcowan99

Reaction score
I just listened to your video... My truck is making the exact same noise! I am on pins and needles worried that it is going to be something major! Do you by chance have an update on your situation?

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
Since that video was taken, I have driven about 2k miles and it has all but stopped. I can still hear a hint of it at times but now that the oil has some miles it is much much better.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.