6.4 rattle driving me nuts!

gcowan99

Reaction score
Thanks for the update. Mine comes and goes also. I think I am going to try to get it into the shop in the next couple weeks for a diagnosis. I will post when I find out.

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
I spoke to soon lol, I deleted and tuned my truck yesterday and now mine has returned intermittently.

mortal798

Reaction score
I would be calling Ford and complaining that a dealer is refusing to do warranty work. That is BS.

Customer Relationship Center: 1-800-392-3673

Last edited:

gcowan99

Reaction score
Does yours seem to get worse or better with an oil change? I stopped by a local shop today and they didn't think they heard anything. Then they said I should go to another shop that knew more about 6.4's?

LReiff

Reaction score
I'd have asked that dealer to put in writing that they will not work on your truck and that its ok to drive the truck until you can find another dealer that will do the work. Then I'd have called ford.

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
Does yours seem to get worse or better with an oil change? I stopped by a local shop today and they didn't think they heard anything. Then they said I should go to another shop that knew more about 6.4's?

Seems to be at its worst right after and oil change.

Emery19

Reaction score
I would be calling Ford and complaining that a dealer is refusing to do warranty work. That is BS.

Customer Relationship Center: 1-800-392-3673

I've been meaning to call them, but I never found the number. A dealer screwed me on warranty work and I had to pay out of pocket, so I wanted to complain and get a full explanation as to why it's not covered. Haha so thanks for the number and lighting a fire under my butt to find some free time to call.

/hack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

78f100

Reaction score
It is very likely wore rocker arms, the end wears out and the actual arm hits the valve bridge. Mine did it until I found the problem while doing headgaskets. Its not a bad fix but would def get it done under warranty if possible.

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
It is very likely wore rocker arms, the end wears out and the actual arm hits the valve bridge. Mine did it until I found the problem while doing headgaskets. Its not a bad fix but would def get it done under warranty if possible.

What would it cost in part to replace all the rocker arms and push rods? Anyone have a rough figure off the top of their head?

78f100

Reaction score
What would it cost in part to replace all the rocker arms and push rods? Anyone have a rough figure off the top of their head?

Complete assemblies from ford are 209$ x2 and not sure on pushrods mine were ok. If/when I go back in I will upgrade pushrods though.

78f100

Reaction score
Also mine didn't sound as bad as yours and I had 2 rocker tips wore completely to the ball keeper.

78f100

Reaction score
Idk cab on I did mine while I was already in doing hg,s. It shouldn't be too bad though the hardest part is the torque process and its not bad. You have to rotate the motor to a certain crank position torque 4 of them then rotate 180 and do the other 4. Wouldn't be much worse than injector swap or any thing else you have to remove the valvecovers for. I wouldn't be scared to say maybe a 6 to 8 hour job start to finish for the first time, much of that time would be tearing everything else down and putting it back.

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
Also mine didn't sound as bad as yours and I had 2 rocker tips wore completely to the ball keeper.

Mine has gotten much quieter since then. And it doesn't do it all the time or if there is a load on the engine. Only when free revving or just of idle when Rollin.

78f100

Reaction score
That may not be it but it is a common problem, mine was really bad when I would lightly rev it not so mush when it was reving but really bad as the engine was backing down. Good luck with it either way!

PSTROKED_SSG

Reaction score
If I rev mine I can definitely hear it as the Roma fall as well. When I get moved and settled in I'll throw some rockers in it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.