6.4 Swap into 7.3 truck using 7.3 Controls System From CR 7.3 thead

jngreen

Reaction score
Swamps uses there own controller to make the 6.4 stuff run on the 7.3 computers right?

If thats the case, couldn't you use the controller to swap a 6.4 in to an obs or a 7.3 superduty, and then get a pcs to control the transmission. That would be the "easy" way to swap a commonrail motor into an older Ford.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Swamps uses there own controller to make the 6.4 stuff run on the 7.3 computers right?

If thats the case, couldn't you use the controller to swap a 6.4 in to an obs or a 7.3 superduty, and then get a pcs to control the transmission. That would be the "easy" way to swap a commonrail motor into an older Ford.

My understanding is that they just use a modified IDM. Everything else is stock electronic wise.

jngreen

Reaction score
My understanding is that they just use a modified IDM. Everything else is stock electronic wise.

Do you suppose it could power a stock 6.4 longblock? Its already running 6.4 injectors and hpfp in a 7.3 block.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Do you suppose it could power a stock 6.4 longblock? Its already running 6.4 injectors and hpfp in a 7.3 block.

The idm doesnt know that the inj are being fed via a high pressure fuel rail. Or that anything.is different for that matter.

As for reversing this and getting it to run a 6.4 psd im not sure other than people who.have put 6.4s into obs trucks dont do it.that way for whatever.reason. Id speculate its due to the computer being able to.control all the bs on a 6.4 that a 7.3 doesnt.have. There.may be some sensor input that the older pcm wouldnt recognize.

As for just firing the inj on a 6.4 I dont see why the obs or sd couldnt. It obviously works when swapped onto a 7.3 block.

jngreen

Reaction score
The idm doesnt know that the inj are being fed via a high pressure fuel rail. Or that anything.is different for that matter.

As for reversing this and getting it to run a 6.4 psd im not sure other than people who.have put 6.4s into obs trucks dont do it.that way for whatever.reason. Id speculate its due to the computer being able to.control all the bs on a 6.4 that a 7.3 doesnt.have. There.may be some sensor input that the older pcm wouldnt recognize.

As for just firing the inj on a 6.4 I dont see why the obs or sd couldnt. It obviously works when swapped onto a 7.3 block.

Well that would be exactly my point, there would not be any reason for the bs on a 6.4 in an OBS. If Swamps can control 6.4 parts with 7.3 electronics, then why couldn't the same electronics control a 6.4? There would be absolutely no reason for harness or dash swaps, just plug the 7.3 sensors into the 6.4 block (or tune around them) and go. Obviously it would take some custom tuning to make the motor run right, but I'm not seeing the problem. It would do away with all the complicated stuff and make it much more simple.

907DAVE

Reaction score
What about every other aspect of a 08 and newer truck?

Basically everything on the damn thing is tied into the PCM via comm network. Nothing would work on the truck if you did this to it.

Maybe in a competition style truck that has no factory gauges or anything electronically controlled, except the engine and trans.

jngreen

Reaction score
What about every other aspect of a 08 and newer truck?

Basically everything on the damn thing is tied into the PCM via comm network. Nothing would work on the truck if you did this to it.

Maybe in a competition style truck that has no factory gauges or anything electronically controlled, except the engine and trans.

I admit I'm a dummy and that you are smarter than I, but I'm lost on this post. It shouldn't be any harder to swap in a 6.4 than a 5.9, if you can get the 7.3 electronics to control the 6.4.

Last edited:

907DAVE

Reaction score
I admit I'm a dummy and that you are smarter than I, but I'm lost on this post. It shouldn't be any harder to swap in a 6.4 than a 5.9, if you can get the 7.3 electronics to control the 6.4.

Guess I miss understood you to a point, I thought you were talking about controlling an +08 truck with 7.3 gear.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Well that would be exactly my point, there would not be any reason for the bs on a 6.4 in an OBS. If Swamps can control 6.4 parts with 7.3 electronics, then why couldn't the same electronics control a 6.4? There would be absolutely no reason for harness or dash swaps, just plug the 7.3 sensors into the 6.4 block (or tune around them) and go. Obviously it would take some custom tuning to make the motor run right, but I'm not seeing the problem. It would do away with all the complicated stuff and make it much more simple.

Idm=injector driver module. I have no doubt that you already knew that. The cr hardware(piezo injectors, hp fuel rail, hpfp, and cylinder heads) is on the 7.3. Every other electronic parameter is as usual. You are talking about going EVEN further backwards. So take an old 1st gen superduty, get a donor truck for the 6.4 and its driveline. Theeen swap the 6.4 in(might as well build it first for 8k.) Then get everything.else swapped in and all the fab work to hold it together mechanically. Yada, yada, yada. Done. You just spent 50-60k to put a 6.4 in a superduty. You could go do that in an hour or two by buying a 6.4 powered superduty for half the money and not have an old chassis. Not to.mention everything.would.work correctly.

You're talking changing everything and having to modify every system in the process to wind up with less than if you'd have just changed an injection system. Inj's, fuel delivery, and cylinder heads vs EVERYTHING. Hows that easier?

The 7.3l electronics will do nothing.for the 6.4s multiple electronic controls it uses to run.

jngreen

Reaction score
Idm=injector driver module. I have no doubt that you already knew that. The cr hardware(piezo injectors, hp fuel rail, hpfp, and cylinder heads) is on the 7.3. Every other electronic parameter is as usual. You are talking about going EVEN further backwards. So take an old 1st gen superduty, get a donor truck for the 6.4 and its driveline. Theeen swap the 6.4 in(might as well build it first for 8k.) Then get everything.else swapped in and all the fab work to hold it together mechanically. Yada, yada, yada. Done. You just spent 50-60k to put a 6.4 in a superduty. You could go do that in an hour or two by buying a 6.4 powered superduty for half the money and not have an old chassis. Not to.mention everything.would.work correctly.

You're talking changing everything and having to modify every system in the process to wind up with less than if you'd have just changed an injection system. Inj's, fuel delivery, and cylinder heads vs EVERYTHING. Hows that easier?

The 7.3l electronics will do nothing.for the 6.4s multiple electronic controls it uses to run.

Nope, you dont get it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Nope, you dont get it.

Explain it then. Because.right.now.you're talking.about.plopping.a 6.4 into.an obs or whatever the hell with a 7.3 and expecting those old electronic controls to adapt to the task of.controlling the umpteen more systems used in the 6.4. Either way, swapping a complete motor is.more work than cylinder heads and some fuel.system parts. Im not sure what Im not.getting :shrug:

TyCorr

Reaction score

This.post is why im not thinking you are on the same page as I. Sensors needed to run the 6.4 arent there. You arent gonna slap a cps and ebps and run a 6.4 off it. You NEED the computage out of.the 6.4. You can pm me if you'd rather.

Viking

Reaction score
This.post is why im not thinking you are on the same page as I. Sensors needed to run the 6.4 arent there. You arent gonna slap a cps and ebps and run a 6.4 off it. You NEED the computage out of.the 6.4. You can pm me if you'd rather.

Just like when I went to redo a 2.2 cavalier motor, one year newer block had two new sensors and trashed the build at that time. I needed a block and had to wait to find one with the older style computer that didn't run those sensors in the block.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Just like when I went to redo a 2.2 cavalier motor, one year newer block had two new sensors and trashed the build at that time. I needed a block and had to wait to find one with the older style computer that didn't run those sensors in the block.

Im thinking he wants to put the 6.4 into the old.truck and plug ****.in until he runs out.of plugs and then tune anything.left out.of.the equation. As in the sensors.dont.matter. Which, Im fairly certain isnt the case. The 6.4 uses more controls.

The 7.3 has a an electronic system in place already to actuate the injectors but a different inj system(obviously). The 6.4s injection system is.better, hence swapping that set of parts only.

Anybody else watching that can clarify some of this?

Groomzybanshee

Reaction score
You got it boss. I forgot discussion is forbidden. You either are inherently smart or a conceited jackass, no in between.

Nope just tired of you arguing when you have no clue whAt you are talking about... Do you have a 6.4? Do you have a cr truck? No so why do you keep running your mouth.. This a thread to congradulate swamps and Scotty not listen to your argue about something you have no experience with...

TyCorr

Reaction score
Nope just tired of you arguing when you have no clue whAt you are talking about... Do you have a 6.4? Do you have a cr truck? No so why do you keep running your mouth.. This a thread to congradulate swamps and Scotty not listen to your argue about something you have no experience with...

Yea ive had 4 cr trucks. Duramaxes. Are those cr-ey enough for ya? How.does not.owning something preclude someone from knowing.something? Why dont you pm me and explain it or cool it. Obviously people are excited about the project or there would be zero posts.

Like I said, we cant discuss anything anymore? Wtf is the point?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
OK guys - lets try and keep it a little on topic. Some good questions being asked and I think some people are misinterpreting them.

To whoever was asking about installing a 6.4 engine into an OBS and using the factory 7.3 electronics to control it - you could do that if you deleted all the functions off the motor that are not supported by a 7.3 computer (VGT turbo off the top of my head), as well as get all the 7.3 sensors and corresponding correct signals coming from the 6.4 - the only one that comes to mind that would be "difficult" would be the CPS signal - I am not sure what the cam/crank timing strategy, sensors, or signals look like on a 6.4 as I have never dug that deeply into it, but I bet its vastly different than the cam signal you would expect to get from a 7.3. If you guys would like to discuss that possibility - please do so in another thread. Drop the back and forth crap in this one.

Jason

Latest posts

Members online