6.4 Swap into 7.3 truck using 7.3 Controls System From CR 7.3 thead

TARM

Reaction score
HRT,

Think you might have meant to post that in the 6.4 swap thread in Engine conversions not the 7.3 CR thread here?

TARM

Reaction score
No I believe he is talking about the couple of pages where that's all they talked about in this thread.

Wow and here you would think it would be enough one time.

I am just looking forward to details on all the various parts and dificulties and how they were overcome etc.

jngreen

Reaction score
OK guys - lets try and keep it a little on topic. Some good questions being asked and I think some people are misinterpreting them.

To whoever was asking about installing a 6.4 engine into an OBS and using the factory 7.3 electronics to control it - you could do that if you deleted all the functions off the motor that are not supported by a 7.3 computer (VGT turbo off the top of my head), as well as get all the 7.3 sensors and corresponding correct signals coming from the 6.4 - the only one that comes to mind that would be "difficult" would be the CPS signal - I am not sure what the cam/crank timing strategy, sensors, or signals look like on a 6.4 as I have never dug that deeply into it, but I bet its vastly different than the cam signal you would expect to get from a 7.3. If you guys would like to discuss that possibility - please do so in another thread. Drop the back and forth crap in this one.

Jason

I wasnt trying to go back and forth with anyone, sorry that my question pissed everyone off.

On a positive note, Jason understands what I am getting at.

TARM

Reaction score
Ok so one major issue is the cps signal if you want to use the 7.3 electronics. How would that be handled? Any ideas?

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
Ok so one major issue is the cps signal if you want to use the 7.3 electronics. How would that be handled? Any ideas?

Easiest way is to run the position sensor(s) from the 6.4 through a processor and feed the 7.3 electronics a generated CPS signal.

907DAVE

Reaction score
There is a "cam pulse per revolution" and a few other CID parameters that can be modified, weather or not it could work is a different story.

TyCorr

Reaction score
@jngreen, hrt, and anyone else that is pissed off by me being.me. Sorry! Im dead curious about these swaps and talking about them. Its exciting to me and another reason to keep my old truck.

Particularly @jngreen-Im not pissed or arguing or anything about what you said. I just dont like "you dont.get it" or any reply like it. Im just here to listen, talk, bs,etc. If you have an idea about what you were getting at, let it out! I just dont see adaptation of all the electronics to be simpler. Just my opinion.

Also, thanks to whomever divorced this from the other thread.

Last edited:

jngreen

Reaction score
@jngreen, hrt, and anyone else that is pissed off by me being.me. Sorry! Im dead curious about these swaps and talking about them. Its exciting to me and another reason to keep my old truck.

Particularly @jngreen-Im not pissed or arguing or anything about what you said. I just dont like "you dont.get it" or any reply like it. Im just here to listen, talk, bs,etc. If you have an idea about what you were getting at, let it out! I just dont see adaptation of all the electronics to be simpler. Just my opinion.

I shouldn't have replied when I didnt have the time to properly explain myself, for that i am sorry. That is why you got such a short response. But, i wasn't talking about a big budget 50k dollar build. I was just talking about dropping a motor and tranny into a 7.3 truck, why would you need an entire donor truck when it appears that the 7.3 controls are capable of powering the 6.4. You wouldn't need all the fancy multiple injection events and other stuff that a 6.4 normally uses.
I would think that Swamps could market their commonrail conversion both ways, to adapt the 6.4 parts to the 7.3 or to drop the 6.4 in place of the 7.3. I would think that you would have to run a pcs to control the transmission in either scenario. It never hurts to have options.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score

I'm not pissed off at anyone. There was some back and forth crap going on in the other thread from several parties not just one - so I hacked it all off and made this thread because it made sense because there was good conversation and good tech to be learned - its just the other thread was not the place for it.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Agreed! Im just hoping.my personality isnt bugging anybody on a personal.level. Im just here to learn some.

I wouldnt attempt to.dissuade anyone from doing anything different but it seems its easier to adapt the cr inj system to the already good 7.3l motor/electronics sensor control field.

I would like to see a obs with a 6.4 in it. They are out there. One of the vendors was talking.about how they conquered it for a customer.

Thanks for the active debate guys!

TARM

Reaction score
HRT,

Based off what you know what do you think would be the easier path in trying to swap in a 6.4 into a 7.3 truck.

1: Going with a full 6.4 wiring harness and then modifiing what is needed

Or

2: staying with a 7.3 harness and making the changes needed, if even possible, to getting it to work with the 6.4 engine?

TyCorr

Reaction score
I dont wanna speak for anyone, Tarm, but so.far people have been doing option A.

Hotrodtractor

Reaction score
HRT,

Based off what you know what do you think would be the easier path in trying to swap in a 6.4 into a 7.3 truck.

1: Going with a full 6.4 wiring harness and then modifiing what is needed

Or

2: staying with a 7.3 harness and making the changes needed, if even possible, to getting it to work with the 6.4 engine?

Those that really know me will tell you that I never do things the easy way for the sake of being easy - I always look at a problem that needs to be solved, determine the possible solutions to the problem, and then decide what solution will give me the most desirable outcome.

So to answer that question - ask yourself which of those two paths will provide you with the most desirable outcome. Personally I think that multiple injection events are a valuable tuning tool for someone that wants to street drive the truck - it can even be useful in a competition rig for doing things like spooling turbos... so I bet you can guess which direction I would lean towards. I'm not saying the other option isn't any good, as it does have its purposes, but its not necessarily the option I would choose for the solution to the problem to meet my needs.

At the end of the day - pick your poison.

TARM

Reaction score
Thanks. That was my first thought as well but had not considered the benefits of spooling the turbo up. Interesting.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Does the modified swamps idm allow for multiple firings of one injector during one combustion cycle?

golfer

Reaction score
Does the modified swamps idm allow for multiple firings of one injector during one combustion cycle?

currently not for the twin pump system, since the IDM8 (not a modified IDM, but a purpose built piezo injector driver) 'grabs' the FDCS/CID signaling from the factory 7.3L PCM and then outputs the appropriately shaped signals to fire the 6.4L style injectors..with a single event

We are concurrently working on 2 similar, but separate projects for a single pump CR system (mounts like our Gen3)...as well as a standalone controller to run a 6.4L engine in any chassis...

this last controller will allow for user end adjust ability of PW, timing and pressure based off of very few sensors...(pedal voltage, MAP, rail pressure, CPS, etc) initially for competition oriented vehicles...however as time progresses we will be able to incorporate more interpretive software that would be geared toward milder setups.

jngreen

Reaction score
Looks like im not a dumbass after all. Well I am, but maybe not this time.

Awesome work Swamps crew.

jngreen

Reaction score
Those that really know me will tell you that I never do things the easy way for the sake of being easy - I always look at a problem that needs to be solved, determine the possible solutions to the problem, and then decide what solution will give me the most desirable outcome.

So to answer that question - ask yourself which of those two paths will provide you with the most desirable outcome. Personally I think that multiple injection events are a valuable tuning tool for someone that wants to street drive the truck - it can even be useful in a competition rig for doing things like spooling turbos... so I bet you can guess which direction I would lean towards. I'm not saying the other option isn't any good, as it does have its purposes, but its not necessarily the option I would choose for the solution to the problem to meet my needs.

At the end of the day - pick your poison.

I figured you being a 7.3 guy and all, would go for the tuning capabilities and simplicity of the 7.3 controls over the current 6.4 tuning limitations.

I figured it would be like efi live for the 6.4, using the 7.3 tuning software.

Latest posts

Members online