6.7 Pistons in a 6.4

Shafer171

Reaction score
The machine shop I'm using is building motors running 6.7 Pistons and 6.0 rods in a 6.4. Says they are strong what's everyone's thoughts on this?

ckrueg

Reaction score
I thought the 6.4 rods were stronger than 6.0 rods? The pistons sounds like a good idea. The 6.7 bore is 3.90 and the 6.4 is 3.86.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
They are but they rod journal in a 6.4 is bigger. 6.0 must be the same as a 6.7 in that area. At least it would handle 700-800 hp on a stock 6.0 rod and I'm sure you can find a set of stock rods for little to no money.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Yeah ok after thinking about this I realized we are talking 6.7 Pistons in a 6.4. I don't know why or how they would run a 6.0 rod. The crank would have to be turned down a significant amount that I wouldn't think would be a good idea. Unless they are running a 6.0 crank as well? Again not a good idea.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Yeah ok after thinking about this I realized we are talking 6.7 Pistons in a 6.4. I don't know why or how they would run a 6.0 rod. The crank would have to be turned down a significant amount that I wouldn't think would be a good idea. Unless they are running a 6.0 crank as well? Again not a good idea.

Yeah Dustin beat me to this. Unless a 6.0 crank is being used that can't be possible I don't think. And using a 6.0 crank in a 6.4 block would be pretty foolish

Shafer171

Reaction score
I'm going to talk with Paul later today but from what I understand from talking with him on the phone he is boring and sleeving the 6.4 block for the 6.7 piston. The 6.0 rod which he says is stronger than the 6.4 rod is used because the pin size is the same as the 6.7. He did not mention anything about the crank.

Black AOD

Reaction score
I'm going to talk with Paul later today but from what I understand from talking with him on the phone he is boring and sleeving the 6.4 block for the 6.7 piston. The 6.0 rod which he says is stronger than the 6.4 rod is used because the pin size is the same as the 6.7. He did not mention anything about the crank.

Calling Bull**** there. He better check his info.

sootie

Reaction score
I'm not looking to go huge just want to build a 700 horse engine that will be somewhat reliable.

so why not do stock rods and ceramic coated maxxforce pistons? With good tuning you won't hurt stock rods

Shafer171

Reaction score
That was my plan the 6.7 piston option was mentioned by the builder I'm just looking into it. Honestly I'm not worried about rods I don't think I'll be doing anything that would hurt them, piston issues are my concern.

sootie

Reaction score
That was my plan the 6.7 piston option was mentioned by the builder I'm just looking into it. Honestly I'm not worried about rods I don't think I'll be doing anything that would hurt them, piston issues are my concern.

no one has cracked a maxxforce piston to my knowledge...

Shafer171

Reaction score
A couple guys here are running his stuff and have had good results. He is local and I like the idea of not having to ship my engine half way across the US to have the machine work done. I'm going to check out his shop this afternoon and will have a better idea of things then.

co04cobra

Reaction score
How many people have cracked Oem 6.4 ceramic coated pistons? I've broke a lot of stuff around mine but not those 'yet'.....

Shafer171

Reaction score
That's a good question maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way. My Pistons made it to 172k and since 95k the truck has been on the 300 tune. So I suppose they did what they were designed to do, but there has to be an option that will hold up better?

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Stock international hd pistons and be done. The rod and bearing will be the next weak link and we are talking way less money unless your block needs sleeved for a stock bore anyway